“Surpassed expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coral Princess Hotel

You added Coral Princess Hotel to your Saves list
Coral Princess Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1159 Magdalena Street | Condado, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Surpassed expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2011

The building is charming, the rooms modern, comfortable and clean. There are inviting patio and rooftop areas where one can rest in the shade or sunbathe. The friendly and accommodating staff made us feel at home, attentive to our needs and cheerfully heeding requests. We enjoyed exploring the neighborhood restaurants and parks, having the beach within walking distance, and easy access to the bus to Old San Juan.
Our attempts to obtain day passes (beach chair, umbrella, access to showers) from the large beachfront hotels were unsuccessful because it was such a busy time, but we were content with our small pool. It was a most relaxing week.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

I live in New York City and have been going to Puerto Rico since the 1960s. I have often stayed in private accomodations. I usually travel alone. I am more of a B & B person than a luxury hotel person, but I have stayed in modest inexpensive hotels as well as luxury ones (usually on guided tours).

This hotel is everything the postive reviews say it is: Clean, comfortable, conveniently located and modestly priced. I had room #16 on the second floor for 5 days. I was pleased with everything at the hotel -- from the friendly staff to the nicely appointed accomodations.

I like a nice breakfast and this hotel had one every day. One could have juice or coffee around the clock since the eating area is always opened.

I was knocked out by the bathroom with the combination jacuzzi bath and shower (I like both when I can get them).

The air conditioner was quiet and efficient. And the wifi was perfect for using my laptop.

I am baffled by the few negative reviews I have read about this hotel. I guess you simply cannot please some people.

It was Trip Advisor that made me choose this hotel. I am very happy that I did.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I decided to stay at the Coral Princess after reading the reviews. I typically stay at a chain hotel but decided to venture out of my cookie cutter comfort. The hotel staff were so helpful and the location was so convenient to everything to the beach, bus, shopping, and great places to eat. I was worried that the location or the layout of the hotel would make it noisy, but I slept like a baby...and our room was right outside the hot tub deck area. The hotel had a very European community feel to it, which I love. We received a complimentary room upgrade to a King bed with a jacuzzi tub. Will definately stay again!

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I stayed at the Coral Princess for three days in March 2011. I was somewhat concerned about staying at the hotel because its website suggests that it caters to an adult clientele and I was bringing our 4 year son, so I was worried about a frosty reception. However, everyone was wonderful. Our room was quite large ( superior double bed) with a nice walk in closet and large bath with a jacuzzi tub. The hotel is within a few blocks of restaurants (fast food and nicer restaurants), a Walgreens, and a short walk to the beach. The morning breakfast was a modified continental breakfast (cold ham and cheese, fruit, cereal, toast, waffles) but was sufficient for our purposes. The hotel is in a nice part of town. There are only 4 parking spots, but we never had any problems with parking. On street parking is available as well as a pay per night lot. The hotel also had a lovely rooftop living area and jacuzzi and a small ground floor pool.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2011

I really liked this hotel. It's small and stylishly decorated. There are no crowds or lines of people at the front desk, breakfast area, pool or roof top hot tub. Its not on the beach but is just a block away. It has wifi in all rooms, a quiet reading room and a beautiful small garden/sitting area. Reasonably priced. I'd stay here again.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

My girlfriend was scared staying here the first night we were in town. The deadbolt on the door had been removed. Only a 15 dollar doorknob and pushbutton lock were on the door. The door had gaps around it that let in a substantial amount of light from the hallway. Everytime someone came inside the hotel the tile floors outside echoed loudly into the room. When other rooms on our floor shut their door, our door shook noisily. Placing a towel at the bottom of the door seemed to help some. It took my girlfriend several hours to get to sleep. We were both awoken by hallway and front door noise countless times throughout the night.

There was a large hair in the bathroom, otherewise the room seemed adequately clean. The common areas were filthy, especially the tile floors where I saw the hugest hairball I've ever seen on the second floor landing. Most of the common furniture was very dirty. The room itself was small, approximately 12 feet by 10 feet without the bathroom. The hottub on the roof was filthy and the terrace to the third floor where the hottub was located was locked at night. The pool was very small.

The hotel was located very close to the beach, walgreens, and numerous local restaurants and bars. It was hard to get a feel for the neighborhood. Some homes close by were nice and others were dilapidated. We saw no locals at night on Magdaleena in front of the hotel, and only a handful of tourists.

The hotel had a very friendly staff, who were always smiling and courteous as you walked in the door. The outdoor garden patio area was a nice touch. My girlfriend loved the breakfast choices. Although it was not a true buffet, she was extremely excited to wake up and go down there to eat she liked it so much.

If we had to do it over, we would have booked a room in advance at the Mariott. The Mariott was clean, had an excellent pool, and was not obnoxiously noisy like some of the places we visited in Isle Verde. The beach was directly out the back door off the pool area.

We will not stay at the Coral Princess again. The door problems (no deadbolt, bad lock, no seal around the door whcih let in a lot of noise and light) are unacceptable in our standards, and led to a poor nights sleep. Its too bad, because the staff seemed genuinely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

First, a few (minor) caveats: This is not a "beach hotel" -- it is a very easy 2-block walk to Condado Beach, but it is not sitting right smack on the beach if that is what you are looking for. Our room (19) was not large, and does not have much of a "view", but it was very clean and pleasant. Mattress was on the firm side, not terrible. And the hotel only has 4 dedicated parking spaces, but we usually had no problem getting one, and there is street parking and a pay lot one easy block away that only charges $13 for 24 hours, with in/out privileges.

Those minor things aside, we had a very pleasant stay at the Coral Princess. It is an attractive 3-story building located on a pleasant city street, one block from Ashford Avenue (the "main drag"), two blocks from the beach. It is in easy walking distance of countless restaurants of all types and price ranges (and, I assume, nightlife). (There is a Walgreens right around the corner for those forgotten items.) It has very quick and easy access to Hwy 26 (airport, Old San Juan, etc.).

Again, the room is not large and does not have much view, but it was very clean and attractive, with nice artwork on the wall, etc. Big plus for me was the minibar with $2 Cerveza Medalla and $1 soda / bottled water (the $25 bottle of wine on the other hand is a bit pricier, but I don't think PR is exactly known as a wine capital...).

The staff was friendly and attentive, someone was on duty / at the desk 24x7. They were always very helpful with directions, recommendations, etc. We had a slight problem with our ceiling fan that did take one reminder, at which time they fixed it quickly and were very apologetic about it.

The third floor has a number of very spacious, nicely furnished "common rooms" including a kitchen and pool table, and there is a very cool roof deck with a huge wraparound sofa, assorted chairs, lounges, hot tub, etc., as well as a great view of the surrounding Condado skyline. There are also a number of attractive, shady patio areas scattered all around the hotel. The common rooms plus roof deck plus all of the patio areas could easily accommodate a party for well over a hundred people, even though there are only 20-25 rooms in the whole hotel...!

Breakfast is included, buffet-style. Fairly standard fare -- nothing to write home about, but nothing to complain about either. But there is plenty of variety (ham / hard boiled eggs to cereal / yogurt), and certainly plenty of food -- you won't leave hungry. And it is served by one of the shady patio areas, so there are a lot of nice little places to sit and
eat. There is a small pool / small pool area -- never had a chance to get in.

Bottom line -- if you are looking for a nice, convenient boutique hotel in Condado, close to (but not right in the middle of) the "action", and don't care about being right on the sand, we think the Coral Princess is a great option.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Coral Princess Hotel? Share your experiences!