“Very nice staff, hotel and breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Corona, New York
“Very nice staff, hotel and breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for my vacation and I must say I was thoroughly impressed, despite the negative comments I read on here prior to staying here. Check in was very easy, the front desk person was very helpful. The room was on the small size, especially the bathroom but that was okay by me. I was the only one in the room and it was perfect. The bathroom was clean, the shower was absolutely amazing. The beds were so comfortable and I love the seating area where I could set up my netbook. Thank God for free wi-fi, which acted up a little bit (as with any wi-fi) but for the most part I was able to manage. The best part of my stay was the continental breakfast on the rooftop of the hotel. I took the elevator to the 7th floor and walked up 2 flights of stairs. The breakfast was good but the view from the rooftop was absolutely amazing! The location of the hotel was fantastic, although the neighborhood was not all it was craked up to be. However, I am used to that being that I am an native New Yorker. The hotel was within walking distance to the beach, Walgreens (which was open 24 hours), Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Church's Chicken, Ponderosa restaurant and the bus stop to Old San Juan. Check out was fantastic! I did not have to bring my hotel key back to the front desk. All I had to do was leave it in the room and leave. Talk about express check out!

If you are looking for a simple hotel with friendly staff, adequate accommodations, convenient location, and breakfast with a fantastic view...this is the hotel for you! I would definitely stay in this hotel again and I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Jan. 19,2013 Stayed at the Portal the night before and night after our San Juan cruise. Manager went out of his way to acomodate the storage of our luggage on both ends of our cruise when we could not check into our rooms and wanted to "explore" the area without our luggage. Rooms small but clean, some minor problems with lights but all 14 couples from our cruise were satisfied. Breakfast on the roof top was good and the views and time to "coffee" our morning away was great. Don't expect the "Ritz" but a resonably priced hotel that works well for a pre and post cruise option. All, 28, of us of us would stay there again. Rick,and group, from Minnesota

Room Tip: If you have the chance to request a room do a even # room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bridgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just stayed here last night and what value! You can definitely tell that the front desk and management cares about the customer. Obviously, you cannot expect the world for Quality Inn but if you are looking for a great cheap stay in Condado this is the place for you. Here are some details of my stay:

They allowed us to check in early at 1PM which was great. The Front Desk attendant, Domingo, was very knowledgable of the area and very nice. The bed and room was clean with ample towels. The Sun Terrace is what sold me on this hotel - it faces the bay and morning breakfast was great. It included sausages, a waffle maker, croissants, fresh coffee, orange juice, cereal and other pastries.

If you're looking for a stay in San Juan then this is your place!

• Stayed January 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

I'm here at the hotel now, about to take a shower and I notice that the housekeeper took the old mat, but didn't replace it. So I call down to the front desk and the women tells me that she has nothing and there's no one there after 5pm to get one. Really?? Seriously?? She couldn't take one from an unoccupied room??? Now, keep in mind that they only give you the exact amount of towels so there is nothing to use...except the bedspread...yes, that's what is on the bathroom floor. Yuck, I know. But I'm desperate as the shower floods the bathroom.

When we first checked in, our room was covered in dust. I had to dust with a washcloth. Ugh. Our matress was pulled away from the headboard and our pillows were on top of the boxspring...super weird. Our blanket is white and stained...gross, and I'm not trying to think about it. We had pizza one night and the housekeeper never took the box.
I could go on, but I'm about to shower (and try not to look at the mold & mildew of which I will post pics when I get on a PC back home).

I'll be glad to check out tomorrow.

• Stayed January 2013
brendapr, General Manager at Quality Inn El Portal, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear WifeyG,

Our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at Quality Inn El Portal. We value very much our guests and this is not the kind of service that our guests are used to receiving. We would like to let you know that we have already taken corrective action for this not to happen again.

We would really appreciate it if you could give us another opportunity in the near future. Please don't hesitate to contact me at balonso@qualityinnelportal.com.

Brenda Alonso-General Manager
Bowmanville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was a very great location to spend a night before embarking on a cruise. The rooms are clean and the staff are very friendly and supportive. Enjoyed a walk along the lovely beach which is only a 5 minute walk away from the hotel. Taxi ride to the airport and to the cruise terminal are each just under twently dollars. Would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

The hotel is a little older, smells of mold and could use some updates. It is in a great location and at a great price, close to great restuarants and bars and within walking distance of the beach. The room and bed linens were clean. The hotel staff were very friendly and eager to provide information on area attractions. The breakfast on the rooftop was amazing. The view is awesome from the rooftop. However get up early if you plan on eating, either the ants or the other guests will beat you to it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
St. Croix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I always have a good experience whe I stay at The Quality Inn El Portal. This hotel is located in the popular Condado neighborhood which gives me the opportuinty to select from a wide selectio of restaurants. You can also find two Starbucks and Hagen Daiz Icecrean within the vicinity.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn El Portal? Share your experiences!