“Just a Great Place to Stay in San Juan” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Fairhope, Alabama
“Just a Great Place to Stay in San Juan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

If you want something pricey and luxurious, go somewhere else. If you want a quiet, affordable, safe, clean, convenient place to stay while you spend your days touring San Juan, this hotel is great. The staff are friendly, courteous and helpful, as others have noted. The hotel is within convenient walking distance to the stores, restaurants and beaches on Ashburn, and it is within easy walking distance of Old San Juan if you like to walk (around 3-4 miles I would guess). The free continental breakfast (7:00-10:00 a.m.) is delightful. The terrace is also a great place with a cool breeze and wonderful view if you want to just kick back and relax a bit, perhaps after a long hike. There is a neat indoor/sidewalk restaurant next door which serves very good sandwiches and salads. There are also other restaurants just down the street. This was my first trip to San Juan, and I will certainly want to stay at this hotel if and when I return, which I hope to do.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
brendapr, Manager at Quality Inn El Portal, responded to this review, December 5, 2011
December 5, 2011

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your kind review and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. I will certainly share your comments with the hotel staff.

Please let us know when you decide to return to Puerto Rico, we would be glad to take care of you. Please be sure to contact us at reservation@qualityinnelportal.com.

Saludos and happy holidays,

Miguel Rios, owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

This is an average hotel but at a good price. The breakfast on the roof deck is free to guest and satisfying. The staff is very friendly. 3 blocks or so top the beach, great restaurants, and casinos in the Condado.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
December 5, 2011

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at Quality Inn El Portal. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Looking forward to seeing you during your next trip to Puerto Rico.

Saludos!

Miguel Rios, Owner
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I travel to San Juan quite a lot, I'd say this property is similar to a simple business person's hotel, sort of like a basic Day's Inn kind of place. Yes, the hallway carpets need to be replaced but my room was perfectly clean, housekeeping was great and I felt safe at all times (I'm a woman traveling solo). I WOULD suggest bringing earplugs to ensure good sleep since the hotel in not far from a main intersection. The restaurant/panadaria "Pelayo" next door feels like a chic Los Angeles cafe...great ppl watching!!! I'm returning here in two moths, Miguel the Manager is great as are Stefano and Cydmarie!!! Also, nice to have a fridge and coffee maker in the room and free cafe con leche in the lobby. Not a fancy place, not a resort but close to the beach and felt intimate and homey!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
brendapr, Owner at Quality Inn El Portal, responded to this review, November 4, 2011
On behalf of the entire staff and personally myself I wanted to let you know how delighted we are of receiving your kind words and how you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We are working very hard to keep the hotel in mint condition and your comments are a result of it.

It will be a pleasure to receive you back in December. Please let me know as soon as possible your plans, to guarantee your reservation and to offer you a preferred rate, since you know it will be close to our high season.

We look forward to seeing you back and thanks again.

Saludos!

Miguel
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

The hotel is affordable and it is walking distance to the beach. The area around the hotel itself is so so and I was a little weary at nights. I stayed there by myself and it was ok but if I came with my daughter I would pay more and stay at the Hilton that is right on the beach.
The staff there overall was nice especially Domingo. There was only one female receptionist there that wasn't pleasant who sat around the lobby with strangers without greeting guests. I felt very uncomfortable as I didn't know who those people were.
That said it is one of those hotels that is ok if you plan on not staying inside much and venture out all day without breaking the wallet.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
brendapr, Owner at Quality Inn El Portal, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. I am very sorry to hear that one of our female guest service assistants was unpleasant with you. We will be addressing this matter since this is inappropiate behavior. Also the security of our guests is of utmost importance, so strangers are not allowed on premises.

Please be assure that such a poor attitude by any of our staff members will not be tolerated at our hotel and we will review the hotel's security guidelines.

Again, thank you for your commnets. We hope to have the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future.
Chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

I don't like being negative, but unfortunately I have to agree with alot of these reviews. I am noticing that the same complaint has continued over a few years. To start on a positive note, we thought the upstairs rooftop breakfast area was the best. I found the food was not bad, the view was really nice, and it seemed peaceful.

Moving on..

We were on the 4th floor and the mold on the ceiling near the elevator was disgusting. not to mention the hall carpets were very dirty. What didn't make any sense was the numbers on the doors were obviously ripped off and replaced with new nice number/stand to the left of the door. As the number/stand looked nice, the glue was left on the door and looked horrible.

The reviews were right regarding the carpets, they were filthy. Not only in the hall but the room itself. We wore shoes the entire time in the room. We also expierenced as others, the comforter and pillow case was dirty/stained.

We did stick out the 2 nights there prior to the cruise Thankfully, we had alot of sight seeing to do and didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room.

You get what you pay for, it's definately not going to be a 3 or 4 star hotel. It did it's purpose while we were there and other hotels were booked. Unfortunately, we will not stay again.

I will leave on a positive note, the gentlemen at the front desk were very helpful in giving us directions and other information and calling us a cab etc. We appreciated his helpfulness.

Other than that, it needs some TLC.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
brendapr, Owner at Quality Inn El Portal, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Dear September Newlywed,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experience at our hotel. It is beneficial to hear from our guests and receive their valuable feedback. We are glad to know that you were very satisfied with our staff attention as well as the breakfast and some of our services. On the other hand, we are very sorry that you were dissatisfied with the carpet maintenance. We are starting our deep cleaning process for this year. The first step in this process is to clean the carpets professionally. We hope to have the opportunity to provide accommodations for you in the future and show you how your remarks were used constructively.
Once again thank you.
Nottingham, Maryland, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

My visit to San Juan, Puerto Rico was great! My best friend and I stay there for one week and the staff at Quality Inn El Portal are amazing! Miguel, Lee, Sidmarie, everyone was fantastic!!! We didnt have to rent a car because we were walking distance from just about everything. I am currently planning another visit Dec 1st and will be back at this hotel for my second visit. GREAT LOCATION AND AWESOME STAFF!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
MOntevideo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

The location is good near Condado area restaurants, pubs and casinos. The beach is a few blocks away. The place is safe. The breakfast is very simple, in an open area where you can not stay when it rains. The hallways are noisy. Only recommended for low budget travellers.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Miguel1961, Owner at Quality Inn El Portal, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Hola yorugua. Thank you for sharing your experience at Quality Inn El Portal. We apologize if our property didn't fully meet your expectations. Please rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration. Hope you can give us another opportunity in the near future.

Been to Quality Inn El Portal? Share your experiences!