“A clean and affordable hotel” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   109 Ave. Universidad, San Juan 00925, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“A clean and affordable hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Dreams Hotel. I traveled solo and I felt very safe at the hotel and throughout San Juan. The rooms were very clean and it felt like more like an apartment than a hotel room. Though there is not a lot going on in the immediate area, there is a train and bus nearby that take you to the Plaza Las Americas Mall, the Bacardi Factory and Old San Juan. The cost of public transportation is $0.50-$0.75 per ride. Breakfast is served daily and it mostly consists of coffee, apples, pears, juice and bread for toast with butter and jelly. If you want a bigger breakfast, ask the hotel staff where Panchys is at. Pachys serves breakfast sandwiches and its no more than two blocks away. When I checked out, there was a small billing issue. The woman at the front desk told me I owed money, but could not tell me why/what it was for. After showing her the email confirmations that I paid in full before my arrival, the issue was quickly resolved. I would recommed this hotel based on it being very clean, comfortable and affordable (which allows you to spend your money on food, tours, souvenirs, etc).

Room Tip: Definitely eat at the sushi restaurant across from the hotel at least once :)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed at this hotel, the place is very clean, the owner is very friendly, you have parking in the front or across the street at the church. On Thursday night it's get noise because the students at the university party night, so ask for the rooms in the back because you can't hear the noise. The area looks a little run down. They some breakfast in the morning some coffee and fruit. I would stay here again. It's not a beautiful hotel on the front.

• Stayed July 2013
Gran Canaria, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Me and my other half stayed here for a couple of days during our trip island hopping - what a fab, cheap and cheerful little place! The rooms were absolutely spotless, with some nice island charm and tiles etc. We were greated by a lady called Elenna who made us feel very welcome and gave lots of tips about things to do in san Juan. The hotel is in a really handy location for getting to restaurants and so on but if you want to keep costs down (like we did!) there is a micrwoave so you can cook your own. Theyre not big on ready meals in porto rico but the microwave was a god send!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Dreams is a budget hotel and not where all the nice hotels by the beach are, but it provides you a clean, comfortable, and lively place to stay in San Juan. It is by a Walgreen's and row of bars popular with the students at the nearby University of Puerto Rico so it can get a little loud at night but I was not particularly bothered by it. Otherwise, there isn't a whole lot going on in this neighborhood and while probably safe at night, I would refrain from wandering the area at night by myself. As mentioned by other reviewers, the bed can get a bit uncomfortable due to a plastic liner under the fitted sheets. The shower was not always steaming hot and the towels are a bit threadbare but the ladies at the front desk were always nice, arranged for cabs, and explained where things are in San Juan.
I really enjoyed its proximity to the Universidad train station (if I remember correctly, take it to Sagrado Corazon and then the bus to Old San Juan - about 30 minutes total). Runners can also enjoy a good run around the UPR campus - there is also a track if you cross the overpass after the parking lots. Dinner options are a bit sparse in the area and the breakfast is not anything to write about - mainly crackers/cookies/bread (with toaster) - VERY basic.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel allows you to spend your money on the sites and eateries while providing a clean place to lay your head. Ours was an extended stay of 6 days which cut our cost tremendously by choosing to stay here. Don't go expecting the luxuries you may be used to in higher priced lodging and you won't have a problem. It's well maintained, clean, conveniently located, has friendly staff and good air conditioning. The rooms are constructed to provided comfort from the heat with ceiling fans, tile floors, and low lighting. If I were to go and stay there again, I would bring my own towels. Theirs were usable but rather rough. I learned a trick of putting the bedspread under the sheets which provided cushioning and made the mattress more tolerable. I also traveled with my own sheets. They were under construction adding more rooms so it was a bit noisy if we stayed around during the day. The breakfast is a nice gesture but truly bare bones. The redeeming feature of being within walking distance of nice reasonably priced eateries compensated for this. Also a microwave and fridge are provided, so you can buy groceries and fix your own simple meals.

Room Tip: The breakfast is set on the first floor patio so it can get a little noisy early in the morning if y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Culebra, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a budget hotel and well worth the money. It is comfortable for the price, which for those who know lodgings and guest spots in San Juan, is VERY affordable. I found the proprietor extremely kind and accommodating. When invited to stay with a friend on my return trip, I was able to cancel my reservation a little less than 72 hours in advance, which is Dreams' Hotel's policy. In other words, if you are respectful, friendly and flexible, Dreams' will be, too!

I have stayed at other budget hotels, guest houses, and hostels in the San Juan area and this is the nicest because it has a private bathroom, functioning hot water and Internet (in your room), and friendly people who want you to have a good stay.

I noticed another review on Trip Advisor stating the continental breakfast was not good. I was a bit dissatisfied with the fact there was no milk for the coffee because I do not like powdered creamer, but I snagged a decent piece of fruit and at least enjoyed hot coffee. Frankly, for the price, ANY kind of breakfast was a plus. My suggestion to the management is to forget the continental breakfast and just offer coffee to avoid complaints.

Also, I did find driving to the hotel a bit confusing with all the one way streets, so don't depend on Mapquest: call the front desk. I found the proprietor happy to walk me through the directions while I was on my cell phone.

This was my 43rd trip to Puerto Rico, so I think that one of the reasons some of the reviewers on this site were as critical as they are, is that they expect American standards in a country/commonwealth that is somewhat different. Try to relax and enjoy the friendliness of the Puerto Rican folks at Dreams'. They definitely want you to have a nice stay. If you are too fussy, you will simply not enjoy yourself anywhere!

Suave!

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor and liked my room there.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night after reading reviews on Trip Advisor, and I'm baffled by the positive responses. The employees were friendly and the price is low, but I won't be going back. Numerous people have mentioned the plastic liner on the mattress and while I understand the rationale, it is very noisy whenever you move. Next, the air conditioner was one of the noisiest I've ever encountered, and it ran all night just to keep the room at 80. Finally, the noise from the club next door didn't stop until 4 AM and jackhammers at the construction site across the street started at 6 AM. The room was as advertised, but light was limited and everything in the room seemed to be a good decade past its prime. I would strongly recommend going elsewhere.

However, we shared a cab the following morning with another couple who had no complaints, so perhaps there are better rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Hotel Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!