“Excellent for the budget minded traveler” 4 of 5 stars

Dreams Hotel Puerto Rico
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   109 Ave. Universidad, San Juan 00926, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Columbus, Ohio
“Excellent for the budget minded traveler”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel allows you to spend your money on the sites and eateries while providing a clean place to lay your head. Ours was an extended stay of 6 days which cut our cost tremendously by choosing to stay here. Don't go expecting the luxuries you may be used to in higher priced lodging and you won't have a problem. It's well maintained, clean, conveniently located, has friendly staff and good air conditioning. The rooms are constructed to provided comfort from the heat with ceiling fans, tile floors, and low lighting. If I were to go and stay there again, I would bring my own towels. Theirs were usable but rather rough. I learned a trick of putting the bedspread under the sheets which provided cushioning and made the mattress more tolerable. I also traveled with my own sheets. They were under construction adding more rooms so it was a bit noisy if we stayed around during the day. The breakfast is a nice gesture but truly bare bones. The redeeming feature of being within walking distance of nice reasonably priced eateries compensated for this. Also a microwave and fridge are provided, so you can buy groceries and fix your own simple meals.

Room Tip: The breakfast is set on the first floor patio so it can get a little noisy early in the morning if y...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Culebra, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a budget hotel and well worth the money. It is comfortable for the price, which for those who know lodgings and guest spots in San Juan, is VERY affordable. I found the proprietor extremely kind and accommodating. When invited to stay with a friend on my return trip, I was able to cancel my reservation a little less than 72 hours in advance, which is Dreams' Hotel's policy. In other words, if you are respectful, friendly and flexible, Dreams' will be, too!

I have stayed at other budget hotels, guest houses, and hostels in the San Juan area and this is the nicest because it has a private bathroom, functioning hot water and Internet (in your room), and friendly people who want you to have a good stay.

I noticed another review on Trip Advisor stating the continental breakfast was not good. I was a bit dissatisfied with the fact there was no milk for the coffee because I do not like powdered creamer, but I snagged a decent piece of fruit and at least enjoyed hot coffee. Frankly, for the price, ANY kind of breakfast was a plus. My suggestion to the management is to forget the continental breakfast and just offer coffee to avoid complaints.

Also, I did find driving to the hotel a bit confusing with all the one way streets, so don't depend on Mapquest: call the front desk. I found the proprietor happy to walk me through the directions while I was on my cell phone.

This was my 43rd trip to Puerto Rico, so I think that one of the reasons some of the reviewers on this site were as critical as they are, is that they expect American standards in a country/commonwealth that is somewhat different. Try to relax and enjoy the friendliness of the Puerto Rican folks at Dreams'. They definitely want you to have a nice stay. If you are too fussy, you will simply not enjoy yourself anywhere!

Suave!

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor and liked my room there.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night after reading reviews on Trip Advisor, and I'm baffled by the positive responses. The employees were friendly and the price is low, but I won't be going back. Numerous people have mentioned the plastic liner on the mattress and while I understand the rationale, it is very noisy whenever you move. Next, the air conditioner was one of the noisiest I've ever encountered, and it ran all night just to keep the room at 80. Finally, the noise from the club next door didn't stop until 4 AM and jackhammers at the construction site across the street started at 6 AM. The room was as advertised, but light was limited and everything in the room seemed to be a good decade past its prime. I would strongly recommend going elsewhere.

However, we shared a cab the following morning with another couple who had no complaints, so perhaps there are better rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Guadeloupe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We went to this Hotel which my close friend recommended me. At our arrival we were greeted by the owner she was very friendly checking in was fast, she then took us to the room which was on the ground floor but that didn't bother us because we traveled with our 2 small kids. When we entered the room it was cozy and nice but once we settled down i noticed that their was a little whole in the door which was a lil creepy. The hotel is close to food places and supermarkets that was a big plus. We had a nice weekend in Puerto Rico as a family. I would go back to this hotel but i would not want that room again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Toa Alta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a nice, cheap hotel for practical-minded people. It has all the amenities they advertise: running hot water, cable tv, AC, refrigerator. However, keep one thing in mind. There's a sign that says "Continental Breakfast from 7 to 9." There is no such thing: Whatever that is is not continental.

When we asked a lady by the front desk to show us where the Continental Breakfast was served, she took us out to a side gate that was LOCKED. She then told us to wait, went around the building, took out a couple of things, and opened the gate for us. When we went in, we saw the Continental Breakfast: an old, opened box of Wheat Thins, two dried apples and a few crackers. I asked if that was it, and she felt embarrassed. She then offered to make us coffee and told us we could have some bagels (even though we later learned they were NOT included in the Continental Breakfast). She was a very nice lady, and she told us she was not even on her shift.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times last 2 years. The location is great. Even thought in not located in the touristic zone of San Juan, it's location is awsome. Near the hotel you will find all types of restaurants and a Walgreens pharmacy withing walking distance. Very clean, secured and affordable place. The owners are very hospitable and will bend over backwards to ensure you have a nice stay. Will recomment it to anyone visiting the Island.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Hotel was extremely budget friendly, very clean, no bugs to be found. Had all the essentials for travelers who don't plan to spend much time in their hotel room other than showering and sleeping. Free wifi and free parking was great. Staff was friendly.
My only complaint was that the mattress was terrible for me, I have a bad back, and didn't get any good sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams Hotel Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!