“A great stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Orlando, Florida, United States
“A great stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel and their staff are phenomenal. Their customer service is exquisite and they surpassed my expectations. The hotel rooms are small, but if you're going PR with the attitude of staying at your hotel the whole day, then this hotel isn't for you. The AC was very sufficient with the PR weather. The hotel owner was very approachable and kind.

Be aware, however, that there is an annoying frog outside of the first floor rooms. It would not let you sleep at all. Initially we were given a room on the second floor, but decided to change to the first floor so we would not carry our luggage up the stairs (this hotel does not have elevators). However, we ended up not liking it due to the annoying frog that was very loud during the night. It was not the owner's fault at all, but it is something she should be aware of, as I'm sure it bothered several other guests on the first floor.

Secondly, all the beds in this hotel seem to still have their plastic wraps they were bought it. It is very uncomfortable because the plastic traps the heat emanated from our bodies. I understand that the owner doesn't want any accidental bodily fluids to be entrapped in the bed, but she needs to also understand that some adults are in control of their bodies and will not ruin her beds.

Finally, the biggest complaint I have is that on Thursday nights, the students from the University of PR seems to have a fiesta that night. It is extremely loud and disrespectful to the business. I was on the third floor of my hotel room and felt the wall shake several times when I was in the "den" part of my room. I understand that owner has no control over what the party goers do, but she should filed complaint against city to have some sort of noise control in that part of town. It is extremely disturbing and if it weren't for the AC, I wouldn't have slept. Although she was nice enough to move us to a room in the back of the hotel, we should not have to be inconvenienced with such noise pollution.

Overall, the hotel was worth the money. It is in the city and famous for it low budget cost. The rooms are quite small, but comfortable if you are just there to sleep and explore the city of San Juan. I was very impress with the customer service and the politeness of the hotel owner and her staff. If I'm in San Juan again I would return to this hotel, but would specifically ask for a room in the back on the third floor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

So we have been flying for 12 hrs to get here and spend the night (3hr layover). We are From Denver, CO and travel a lot. But our taxi driver charged us $28usd to get here from airport which took no more than 10 min and she told us not to go out at all around this hotel because there isn't enough security and police, which kind of freaked us out plus there was some retarded bum out front of taxi in front of hotel. Ok, so - we went across st to some club called vidy's and it was kind of ghetto cool. $5 for a vodka soda and $2 for a heineken, 10 security cameras, which i dont know if that is good or bad. We are in our late 30's but act like we are 23 and love house music clubs.My boyfriend wouldn't stay here again cuz it's sketch , but I don't care cuz its fine , free breakfast tmro, and only 65 for a room... I don't wanna pay 200 to stay in some tourist place for 12 hrs before our cruise. I'm drunk. The end.

• Stayed February 2013
Ayr, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Spent the evening of January 18/13 at Dreams with two rooms 4 people. Easy taxi from the airport with 4 people and 4 bags 28.00. Hotel may seem to be in a rougher part of town but don't judge the book by it's cover. Rooms were fantastic for price paid and Elena and staff were the best! Being festival weekend their were 100,000 people in OSJ which made for agreat evening. Elena explained getting to the train ( amazing subway ) then to the bus to OSJ. .75 gets you there ( honest ). Upon return walked the streets back never fearing harm. University grounds are very nice and the students are good kids. Bar across the road but we did not hear any noise. Sat out front with a few beers and had a wonderful time.
Folks this is a wonderful hotel to get a flair for San Juan and Elena a great host. Wonderful bakery around the corner ( now thats coffee!! ), and WalGreens 50 yards down the street with everything from food to beer and wine to personal need items.
Enjoy.....we did!

Room Tip: try to get back of hotel 2nd floor as stairs are required.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in Dec 2012. I chose this hotel because I saw good rating and its budget price. Seems perfect, right? WRONG.
I totally had two reservations from this hotel. For the first stay, it was just one-night stay. But I could not sleep completely because outside some frog were honking all night long. Yes, it was honking, very noisy, unbelievable loud. Never expect frog could make such noise. I asked for the help, and yes, the lady on duty tried to help, but she could not do anything because the frog was hiding somewhere. My next day trip plan was completely ruined because the sleepless night. Fortunately we just stay one night there for the first stay. But we still had second reservation 2 day later. Considering the unacceptable frog noise, when we checked out for the first stay at very early in the morning, we told the on-duty lady (same one to try to help last night, but not the owner) we intended to cancel the reservation and let her tell the hotel owner because the bad situation. One night before the checked in for the second stay, I called to confirm the cancellation, and I asked if there were any charge for the cancellation. I was aware of the cancellation policy (3 days before checked in), but because the bad condition, I would expect no charge for that, and I was told that there would be NO charge. I was satisfied with their understanding and business attitude.
Then nightmare came. When we were back from the vacation, I found they charged for the first night for my second reservation. First I thought it might because the hotel owner forgets to do that. So I contact the agent and let the agent (booking.com) to contact the owner for the refund. It had been couple of days with no response, and then booking.com later finally called after I sent them the credit card statement twice. At first I was told I would be able to get refund on that day. But later this hotel rejected the refund first with the reason with the policy. I kindly reminded them they promise there would be no charge for my cancellation. Then the exciting part came. They responded email rudely, and claimed I was lying! They claimed their air condition was noisy (Yes, their air condition was noisy, their word), and my room was at 3rd floor, the frog would not be heard from my room. If they know their air condition was noisy, then they could imagine we would not use that. They were imaging they were me and then I was using the noisy air condition, and no frog noise then. Then they told me they did not want to refund because I was lying (meaning I could impossibly hear the frog noise). WTF. I came down at 12am, and looking for the frog for 30 minutes. I had a very early air to catch next day. Nobody would bother to do such stupid things if there was NO noise. That's unbearable and ridiculous. If they don’t want to refund, just let me know when I made the phone call with patient explanation about the policy, then nothing would happen. Don’t come out such lame reason, and claim the custom is lying with the actual fact that it is them lying. Never have such bad experience for hotel booking before. I have to admit, that is the worst experience in my life for the hotel booking, not because of the bad condition of the room, the noisy air conditioner, the bad frog outside, but this rude attitude.
So I decide to write this review to warn the people who got fooled by the rating. If you want to have a nice vacation in PR, stay away from this hotel. You never know what will happen, and if something happen, things will get worse, because the hotel owner is dishonest and rude. You got my word, STAY AWAY FROM THIS CHEAP HOTEL TO SAVE YOUR VACATION.

Room Tip: Stay in a good hotel in PR, especially the first time visitor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

It is a good place. A great variety of food is near the place. The service is excellent and the rooms are great: room, kitchen, and a small living-dinner room. **Thursday night it is a really noisy place.**

• Stayed December 2012
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This hotel is the best value in San Juan. The room had a separate bedroom and living area and a decent bathroom. The living area had a small dining table, a refrigerator, a microwave, and a sink, along with a bench for seating. The bedroom had a small flat panel television with many cable TV channels (TNT, TBS, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, many others, but no ESPN). The bedroom also has an air conditioner that works well. It cools the entire place fairly quickly.

The staff are the nicest people in the world and were very helpful to me. All of the staff I encountered spoke perfect English.

The area is fun. It is very near San Juan University Rio Piedras, which is very large and has many students, so nearby are food and drinks and other things students want. Actually, attached to the hotel downstairs was my favorite spot for a beer and a bit of food. It is a sport bar and grill that has Medalla beer for $1.25 and $2 chicken pinchos (look them up - they are more like a brochette, or a skewered grilled chicken). They always have ESPN and other sports on, which makes not having ESPN in the room not a big deal.

There is a Walgreen's pharmacy maybe 200 meters away that is open until 10 each night. There is also several restaurants (many Puerto Rican, many chain - Quiznos, Subway, Denny's) within walking distance.

Parking is in a secured, small church parking lot directly across the street. It is open in the day, but the gate closes at night. The hotel worker can open it for you.

I had a car, so I used the hotel as a home base to explore San Juan and many other parts of the island (Fajardo, Naguabo, Juncos, and others). I didn't have a GPS, but managed. I would recommend a GPS, though, and will get one if I return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Natick, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Went with friends. Stayed here for two days. Totally value for money. Decent room with AC, microwave, water, shower, parking and wifi. Staff were very friendly. They recommended what all we should do while we were there. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams Hotel Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!