“A pleasant surprise in Old San Juan” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Organic, Seafood, Vegetarian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Organic farm veggies and market fish arrive daily. Our main attraction is the chef's crew production which changes daily according to availability. Organic wine list and Botanical Bar. No reservations. Limited seating.
“A pleasant surprise in Old San Juan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

After spending hours meandering Old San Juan and grabbing drinks here and there we had settled on having dinner at Marmalade based on on-line reviews. When we mentioned we were going there to a local bartender (being pescetarians it seemed the best option) he said no! You have to go to Verde Mesa! It was just a short walk from where we were. We just can't thank that bartender enough!

A quaint little spot with a romantic French feel this restaurant is adorable! We would have never found it on our own as its a bit tucked away and they don't do any advertising only relying on word of mouth.

We started with the mini loaf appetizer which, for something so simple was delicious! It's served with a lemon olive oil and some olive powder that was just the right amount of salty to balance the sweet tart oil. Both my husband and I ordered the fresh catches of the day. Mine a delicate swordfish served with a lemongrass sauce over mashed root vegetable (I can't remember the name of the veg but it was great). My husband had the Mahi Mahi with spicy lentils which he loved. We ordered a nice bottle of white which was reasonably priced and tasty. Dessert was a fantastic little treat called purple cloud. It's crushed up merengue in a whipped cream with berries. So so yummy! In fact, all the desserts sounded amazing it was hard to pick just one!

The service was impeccable. We were greeted with smiles across the board. The owner took a few minutes to visit the table and chat with us about how she keeps all her food so fresh and organic. It's great to hear about how she wants to keep everything fresh and local which as I understand, is really hard to do on Puerto Rico.

I will recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Puerto Rico but especially my vegan and vegetarian friends!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Orlando, Florida
“wow...delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went on the advice of a local and it did not disappoint. My husband had the swordfish special, which was quite delicious. I had the rice dish...I wish I remembered what it was called. My husband, the avid carnivore, ended up liking mine even more than his own. But I was happy to share as it was a healthy portion. Will definitely go back!

Visited February 2013
Belmont, Massachusetts
“Fresh, crunchy veggies and delicious seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

If you are in Old San Juan, Verde Mesa is a must try! They serve excellent food.

The decor is very Ballard Designy, not really my style, but I was not there for the decor, I was there for dinner. The restaurant serves incredibly fresh vegan, vegetarian dishes and fresh seafood.

We ordered a Green Infusion cocktail with rum and Red Passion with vodka. Both were very good.

Hubby and I ordered the following dishes to share:

- Swordfish ceviche - this appetizer was on the specials menu that night and it was very good
- Verde Mesa Classic Salad - a bowl of very crunchy and fresh veggies, delicious
- Mahi Mahi served with heirloom pumpkin - this entree was also on the specials menu and it was amazing, slow-cooked fish with organic fresh pumpkin
- Chocolate cake - this dessert was very moist and tasty.

The food at Verde Mesa is amazing, the prices are very reasonable and the service is excellent. A must try on a visit to Old San Juan.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dundas, Canada
“A gem in OSJ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was the most upscale restaurant that we visited during our week in OSJ. We dined here on Valentines Day. Very busy but vibrant atmosphere, busy was not a deterrent in any way.
Exceptionally friendly and courteous staff. Our meals were prepared perfectly and were very flavourfull.
Extremely nice place; will certainly return on our next trip.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Exceptional food, beautiful place and decor, kind and wonderful staff and service. This place is a gem in Puerto Rico! We were so lucky to discover it and loved it so much that we went twice (if we had stayed longer in PR, we would have gone again and again)! Best brochette I've ever eaten!

Visited February 2013