“Amazing find - you absolutely need to eat here!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #43 of 578 restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dedham, Massachusetts
“Amazing find - you absolutely need to eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

The doorman at our resort recommended we eat here as we were heading out to have dinner in Old San Juan. We checked it out, and after spending about an hour walking throughout Old San Juan we did end up eating here. We are SO glad that we did!! The young man who greeted us at the door was so sweet, he brought us to the back to show us to our seat. The restaurant itself is very small, which gives it a cozy, intimate feeling. Our waitress was very nice as well. Everything was very clean. 2 of my friends ordered mojitos, they both said they were great. I had a beer, which was nice and cold. We all ordered different meals, and all absolutely loved the food! One of my friends had a "stew" that was more like a lasagna with plantains and seafood, and she said it was one of the best things she's ever had. The sauces were lovely, the rice and beans awesome. I highly recommend you have dinner here if you are in Old San Juan!! The food is great, service is great, and the prices are very reasonable!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

85% Recommend
Greensboro
“Beautiful setting with great staff!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent our final day of our honeymoon in Old San Juan. We were advised to visit Cafe Puerto Rico for THE best mojitos ever! We weren't let down at all! First, the cafe was very stylish and had a European feel to it. We were there during the off season so it was no trouble finding a seat at the bar, where we met our bartender Ché. Ché's mojitos were the best we have ever had!! He was also very friendly and funny and made us feel very comfortable while enjoying our drinks. Even though we only stopped in for a few drinks, the menu had plenty of delicious choices for food and spirits! Cafe Puerto Rico is located across from Plaza Colón and within walking distance of other great restaurants. Given more time, Cafe Puerto Rico would have been a regular stop for us on our trip! Stop in for a mojito, dinner, and say hi to Ché!!!! Salud!!

Visited October 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“Good and quick”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Great service and fast. The food was delicious and priced just right. It was definitely a tourist place but hey, I was a tourist.

Visited October 2013
“Good place to eat.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

We had the seafood paella and the seafood gumbo. The paella was ok. Chorizo would have brought the needed flavor. The gumbo was good and hot but left me wanting a crustini or bread to dip in it. Food was pricey. $22 & $25 for those dishes. Good atmosphere and good staff. The food came out faster than the other restaurants we ate at in puerto rico.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Monee, Illinois
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We came here for lunch. It's either inside or outside dining. The building is rather narrow inside and I believe there's also seating upstairs. We chose to sit inside since it was very hot and humid out. I ordered the chicken mofongo and my wife had the yellow rice with shrimp. We also ordered a couple of house drinks. Service was very slow at best. My wife liked her meal, she said the rice and shrimp were very good. My mofongo was good but the chicken that was used was just a processed chicken breast cut up in a couple pieces. The meal wasn't authentic Puerto Rican style. I informed our waiter, actually a young kid, that I wanted another drink. Twenty minutes later he brought the check with the drink I ordered on it but never received on the bill. I told him and he took it off the bill with an apology.

It was a disappointing fist meal in San Juan and next time we're in San Juan I would not return and choose another place to eat.

• Visited September 2013