“It rocks!” 5 of 5 stars

(787) 725-3518
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 578 restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
Description: Located in the Placita de Santurce, the local farmers' market in the heart of San Juan and a very popular Friday night hangout among the locals.
San juan
“It rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Best food in La Placita... Low key but very trendy. Service could do better, but it is a PR thing... No reservations which is a bummer but the food is worth the wait.

Visited May 2012

89% Recommend
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
“Excellent food and experience! My new favorite spot @ Placita”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

Jose Enrique is at an unique neighborhood named La Placita de Santurce, that we locals love. Lots of fun, music and good food. Jose Enrique is a very popular spot, so reservations or arrive early are highly recommended, as it is always crowded. Jose Enrique is a unique fusion of Puertorrican flavor and international cuisine restaurant . Enjoy! I love it! :)

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York City, New York
“Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

You must try this restaurant. The food was fantastic. Their menu is on a white board and changes often. Met locals there who have been frequenting the restaurant for 5 years and I know why- I loved everything I tried there.
I was skeptical at first. The restaurant is in a local street that appears residential but we worth the trek.

Visited May 2012
Sudbury, Massachusetts
“Do not miss this restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Jose Enrique's came recommended by the hotel concierge. I was skeptical going in given I had not come across the restaurant in my search and because we had just eaten an amazing meal at Marmalade in Old San Juan that would be hard to top. Our meal at Jose Enrique's Friday night topped it, and topped it enough for us to return on Saturday night so we could experience it again!

On Friday night we arrived at 7pm and had to wait about an hour for a table. The mojitos helped pass the time, as did sitting outside on the restaurant porch bench. Food was out of this world. Cheese balls were to die for, as was the stewed meat/rice with friend plantains and steak empanada. I don't know Spanish so pardon the butchering of the entree names. Friends had seafood dishes and no one was disappointed. Cloudy Bay sauvignon blanc (one of my favorites) was a good deal at $47. We were given some shots as we left that did not go wasted either.

On Saturday night we arrived at 6pm to put our name in for a table, the restaurant opened at 6:30 (there were 2 parties already in line at 6pm). We walked around the block, listened to some live music and ordered mojitos to go from a local bar. By 6:30pm there were more people in line. I will say though, that it seemed less busy than Friday - still full, but the wait didn't seem as long for those who arrived at 7pm.

This place is a little off the beaten path, but is definitely worth the trip given the quality of the food, the service (Amelia was great!) and the experience (not touristy at all). The prices were reasonable, much more so than most touristy places in Old San Juan or near our hotel on Isla Verde.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“Do not miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

This place is simply fantastic. Best food you are going to get in Puerto Rico. Alerting all foodies:Their "menu" is a white board that changes every day. I love food but can never remember the details of what put me in the food coma heaven so I will say that their starters are fantastic and the bartender even comped us those famous cheese balls. Our fish entrees were out of this world as well.

Sat at the bar which was a great idea as we were in the mood to take 2.5 hours to eat and drink and really savor. The service is a little slow but they give you shots all night to make up for it.

I almost took away 1 star for the interiors being lit like a hospital ward, but seriously the service and the food were so overwhemling that it made up for the lack of thought in the decor.

• Visited May 2012