“Excellent Choice in San Juan, Puerto Rico” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Rates from $99
Ranked #28 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Miami Beach, Florida
“Excellent Choice in San Juan, Puerto Rico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

WOW! This is the first word that comes to mind in describing this hotel, it's amenities, and above all, the service. From the GM Lemuel Gonzalez Marcano, to the Front Desk Staff (Jesus & Omar), Jody the Concierge, and the Housekeepers (Maria & Celia), this hotel rates an A+++++. We researched hotels online for days and chose this one for our first trip to PR. GREAT choice! From the moment we arrived for an 8 day stay, the service was incredible and the staff super nice and accomodating. Hotel is near the Condado corridor & within walking distance to many shops & restaurants. Our suite was gorgeous with an incredible view of San Geromino Fort and the ocean. Our needs were always met and we had a fabulous time. The GM is always on top of things making guests feel very VIP. He can be seen walking the grounds daily ensuring guests are happy campers. This hotel is huge, so any "disappointed" guest reviews could have been the result of not speaking up for whatever the need was as we were totally satisfied with the prompt response to any requests, whether for something as simple as extra towels, or for suggestions on where to go & how to get there. If you are looking to go to San Juan, you must seriously consider this hotel. It also has a wonderful Starbucks on site for coffee addicts like us. Finally, the various restaurants in the hotel are great with awesome food even though the prices (as expected) are "hotel prices" and thus a bit higher than venturing out to eat. Another great feature is the incredible area by the villas pool whereat you can find peacocks, ducks, iguanas, turkeys, and a koi pond with many huge and beautiful fish. Lots of daily activities for the kids too that are coordinated & supervised by hotel staff. Hands down - this is the place to stay on your next trip to San Juan. We have to commend GM Gonzalez Marcano for the excellent manner in which he runs this hotel. You will really enjoy your stay at the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton.

Room Tip: The suites and villas from the 3rd floor up that overlook the ocean and the San Geromino Fort have t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while in our property. We are delighted to read your stay was a pleasant one. We strive to deliver great service and it is refreshing to read when that is achieved. I am most happy that our team members were also able to deliver the great customer service that had distinguished us for so many years. I will share your comments with them.

We thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcome you in the near future.

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Rancho Santa Margarita, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed at this resort one night prior to a cruise we were taking out of San Juan. We had trouble finding a hotel that would accommodate five of us in a room, and out of sheer frustration (we have 3 children) we ended up booking two rooms at this resort, which was quite honestly expensive on our budget. When we got to the hotel, the check-in process was a little long and the hotel was a madhouse. It's a large property, and with the pre and post cruise traffic, I can understand the chaos. We simply waited on the couches and figured we'd get a room when they had one. We were happily surprised to see that they could accommodate us early (we'd arrived before noon!). I was under the impression that we had rooms at the Caribe Hilton, but instead they put us at the Lagoon Villas - which is quite a hike from the main hotel - and I was worried. As we walked through the halls to the rooms, you could see that parts of the hotel were being renovated and other parts NEEDED to be renovated, but once we got to our rooms and opened the door - they were beautiful, HUGE rooms that quite frankly could have easily accommodated rollaways, which annoys me because the website as well as the Hilton operator I spoke with told me in no uncertain terms that they could not allow rollaways. That's unfortunate when you have a family of five and want to say in the same room, and that's my big problem with islands like Puerto Rico and Hawaii - because they know families go there. In any case, we split up into two rooms for the one night, and had plenty of space including a little kitchenette type area. We spent our day at the pool, which was lovely, and ate lunch at the bar outside (not bad, although pricey). The beach/bay was beautiful as well. I don't know that we'll be back to Puerto Rico any time soon, but if we are, I'd like to stay here again.

Room Tip: The Lagoon Villas were really nice - don't let the appearance of the hallways fool you because t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations, however, local fire codes prohibit us from accommodating a roll away in rooms which already have 2 beds.

We are always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I checked in July 26- July 29. Check-In process was beyond horrible, the young lady working there seem like she did not want to be there so we requested to speak to the manager The Manager Lemuel Gonzalez is a poor excuse for management, beyond rude his attitude and demeanor is not towards helping guest,( as I read the reviews about the hotel he has a generic message that he sends to everyone who reveals the hidden truth about this hotel. Hilton needs to re-evaluate or conduct proper customer service training for its employee including upper management. The crazy thing is when we went to complain to other managers/employees one person advised that we complain and report his attitude because they were also disgusted with his behavior and attitude towards past guests and employees. One employee told us about a random survey that we may/may not receive and if we were to receive it to make sure we report his behavior. Coming from a company that ranks high in JD power awards for superb customer service I was so disappointed with the type of manager the Hilton would choose to represent their brand.There was mold spots on the bathroom walls. When we requested towels they were brought to us the next day almost 12 hours later. Talk about overprice, well lets just say that the word overprice is an understatement for the food and drinks.I had to make the best out of my stay however as long as LG Marcano is the manager over there I will not be recommending anyone. Hilton needs to hire the right managers and employees that are genuine about ensuring that their guest enjoy their time while staying there. Highly disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Buda, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Let me start out by letting the readers know that we have stayed at this property three other times in the past three years. This particular stay was for our 28th wedding anniversary. We arrived early in the evening of June 8th and check in went quite smoothly with no waiting a all. We had a wonderful meal at Morton's Steakhouse which while very pricey was the best we have had in a long time. They even printed a special menu with our names and anniversary date as well as providing a picture hey took with all he signatures of he staff wishing us a happy anniversary. The room was cleaned perfectly everyday and ALL interactions with hotel staff was above expectations. We were greeted at least 4 times by he manager Lemuel while waiting for our car to brought by the valet. He was genuinely interested in not only our stay at his property but also our experiences in Puerto Rico. The main pool grill, while pricey, had very good food as well as the swim up bar providing very strong mojitos and piña coladas. The private beach, the only one in PR, has very calm water and made for an excellent alternative to the pool as needed. The breakfast buffet in Las Palmera's was very tasty even though a bit pricey. Ask for a server by the name of Harry as he is the worlds best server, bar none! The clerks at the Villas desk were friendly and always were willing to provide local suggestions off property for food and fun. The only gripe that I have is the description of the room being "ocean view". Our view was of the city and the lagoon (which technically is part of the ocean) which I feed feel was not worth he $$ upgrade. Overall we had fun in the sun on "La Isla de Encanto""

Room Tip: Ask for 3rd floor or higher for best views!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate you taking the time to respond to our questionnaire and we are delighted to know your stay was a pleasant one. Our objective is to deliver an excellent experience and have you come back.

We thank you again for staying with us and would be thankful to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I want to start this by saying that the Jody Rivera, the Bell Hop at the Lagoon Villas gave my family superior service. He is in no way associated with the circumstances I am going to detail.

>Saturday, June 22nd- Arrive @ Villas approx. 2:00 p.m., checked-in but rooms (2) not ready. I asked the latest I could check out on Sunday because we were on the Carnival Cruise ship, and I was told 2 p.m. Perfect.
>Told room would be ready shortly, didn't think pulling anything out of the bags was necessary. Put 8 bags in managers office locked for safe keeping.
>Given a housekeeping card so we could charge to room if necessary.
>Walked around a portion of the property, ate lunch at Pine Colada Club (it's pricey, $177 for 4 adults and 2 kids).
>Walked back to desk at 4:30 p.m., room still not ready, watched others check in and get room keys. Now we are getting exhausted. Been traveling from Lehigh Valley, PA since 5 a.m. and still in same clothes.
>With family, went to see what the big concert stage was in main pool area and were told we could not enter without a wrist band. When I said our room was not ready, he said to come back when we checked in. So at this point, we no longer have access to over half of the hotel, and the amenities my daughters would most be interested in.
>Walked back through the conference rooms where there was relief of air conditioning, and then told we could not stay there because of a wedding, two proms and some type of conference.
>6:00, call housekeeping...no room available. At this point I think they are overbooked and I'm screwed, Diamond member or not. I walked through the guest room portion of the Villas and saw a single housekeeper cleaning rooms...so then I thought at least there is a chance.
>Sitting outside by smaller Villa pool. My daughters clothes are now wet because I got tired of telling them they couldn't jump in the pool. Rain starts.
>Relocate to outside overhang area where there are some round tables...safe from the rain.
>7:00 p.m. Walk to desk again. No rooms. They are working on one of them. They will call my cell phone when one gets done so we can at least have one room.
>Go to bar and get 3 bottles of Coors Light for an insane price at Lemongrass Bistro.
>7:30 p.m. One room finally ready. Jody gets our bags up there and my daughters change into bathing suits. They swim until 9 p.m.
>8:00 p.m. Our 2nd room is ready. After swimming my daughters fall asleep.
>On our floor, out of Coke and Diet Coke in the vending machine and no ice. I was able to find some two floors above.
>11:00 a.m. My parents get their 1st harassing phone call from Housekeeping, asking them why they are still in their room.
>11:15 a.m. After 2nd call, I call down to the front desk and tell them I've already been approved for a late checkout and stop bothering my mom and dad.
>1:50 p.m., Jody, right on time, picks up our bags and has a taxi waiting for us to take us to the Carnival port.

Although the original Guest Services people I talked to said this was impossible, I am convinced that I did not get a room because I was paying on points. I could be way off base, but I don't think so.

There is no excuse for not having at least one room available to us at a normal check in time.

However, I've taken the time to read the Trip Advisor comments regarding the Lagoon Villas since my return home, and unfortunately it appears that my experience is, although not the norm, not uncommon either. If I had taken the time to read Trip Advisor as I normally do, I would not have stayed at the Caribe Hilton, I would have stayed at the DoubleTree San Juan which is the #2 rated hotel in the area...974 out of 1,051 excellent or very good reviews. It almost appears as if Villas General Manager Marcano doesn't care about the poor reviews. Bad reviews get a copy and pasted standard reply.

I want to thank Hilton Guest Assistance Senior Specialist/Corporate Escalations, Alice Maxwell for finally taking the time to listen to my issues, after almost two weeks of nonsense. My first call to customer service came on July 2nd, the day after I got back from Puerto Rico. I was told I would receive a follow up phone call from the hotel GM within 48 hours. Never happened. Nothing happened until I phoned customer service again on July 8th. Mercifully, Alice got involved and we were able to resolve everything simply and easily.

Avoid this hotel if you can. If the DoubleTree and Conrad are booked, choose something else as a 3rd choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations.

Marietta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We spent July 7 - 13 at this hotel and had a great time. Our room was comfortable for 2 adults and 2 teenagers ages 14 and 19. We paid extra to have a view of Condado Bay which was beautiful. It was a walk from our room to the hotel lobby, pool and restaurants, but it was a pleasant walk through the hotel itself or through a wonderful garden featuring a pond, swans, geese, a turkey, ducks and some of the largest koi I have seen. Our room was clean, everything worked as expected, housekeeping kept us stocked with towels, coffee, shampoo, etc. The beds were comfortable. All of the staff that we spoke to was helpful and passed along ideas and locations for things to see off of the hotel property. The pools and beach at the hotel are beautiful and well maintained. I will say that the food in the hotel is quite pricey for a family of four but we found other restaurants in Old San Juan and Condado that were more moderately priced and very delicious.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing the Caribe Hilton as your “home away from home” during your visit to beautiful Puerto Rico.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we are delighted to know your stay was a pleasant one.

Patterson, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

It was not the usual good experience that we have at hilton.Showers door appeared to have black mold on it besides leaking. Requested extra towels,coffe,cream and sugar on our way out. Whwn we would come back we would have to call room service to get these items. How can you not have parking for your quest as part of the hotelexperience.The floors were always slippery and slightly wet. Almost slipped and fell twice,this was not safe.The pool area as seen better days.Electrical outlets not working. Had to keep unplugging one thing to plug in an other.Overall it was not the usual experience that we have had in the past when we stay at any hilton hotel.

Room Tip: If you truly want an ocean view make sure it is above the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this review, July 16, 2013

Been to Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton? Share your experiences!