“Hotel room with a mini fridge- Not a Villa” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$99 Fall Rates
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Washington DC
“Hotel room with a mini fridge- Not a Villa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The name of this location is misleading. The hotel room is average size although there is a slightly larger hall entry due to a kitchenette of sorts. We had actually booked a room at Caribe Hilton (on same property) so being given a room here was a surprise. Especially considering the incredibly long walk from the main reception desk with our suitcases. The view was pretty although the half finished building blocking half of it was a bit of an eye sore. We had a balcony but the door was broken so we couldn't use it. The pool for the villas is smaller and less attractive than the main pool. And the beach is on the opposite side of the property closer to the main hotel than the villas. Unfortunately traveling between the villas and the main areas means either a long walk inside or a less than attractive walk around the back side of the hotel which flooded after a brief rain. For a night it was fine but if I was going to stay longer, I would stay in the Caribe Hilton on the other side of the property, as we did about a week later at the end of a cruise. The size of the rooms is barely different, the view was better and it was far more conveniently located to the main pool, the beach, the gym, the spa, the restaurants and the shops.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations.

We are always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Bangalore, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

First of all the terms 'villas' is inappropriate to describe the rooms. The rooms are nice and spacious, but they are not 'villas', just regular hotel rooms. The hotel is located very close to the old city of San Juan and over looks the ocean. The rooms have the Hilton touch of class, but the sheer opulence of luxury that is associated with Hilton is amiss. The pool is absolutely wonderful. The staff is friendly, helpful and very courteous. At the reception we were greeted by Mr. Jesus who ensured that our check in and check out were smooth. He was also forthcoming with a lot of information and tips. The service was great!
Although I hate to point out negatives, there were some that were hard to overlook. There was no bottled water in the room. When we asked room service for a disposable spoon, they said they would charge us exorbitantly! We were asked to go fetch one from the bar as there we would get the spoon for free.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback on your room condition while you visited is recently. Please accept our apologies. I am sharing your comments with our executive Housekeeper and rest assures we are taking corrective actions to prevent future guest from experiencing what you did.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us the opportunity to serve you in the near future.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a great time, weather was perfect, only a little bit of rain at night one night that lasted maybe 20 minutes! Our room was 7936 and we had a view of the city and the water as well. The cab driver that took us to the hotel told us we should try the local pastries, so when we got to the hotel we asked the Concierge where to go and he told us the name of the place to try in Old San Juan (I dont remember the name of the place, but we ate Quesito and Guava Puff) both delicious.
Also, the cabs are flat rates to/from places so that's nice.
Everyone we talked to was nice the hotel staff is great. They have a garden with Swans and Peacocks that the hotel staff takes care of, one day we got to feed them since one of the hotel staff was out feeding them.
We ate at the Italian restaurant and at the pool bar/lobby bar and also at Morton's - food is expensive at the hotel, but we figured a cab to Old San Juan is $15 each way so it evened out. we will never eat at Morton's ever again, not even in our home town - the waiter doubled my tip (we charged it to the room so we didnt leave cash) so when we looked at our room charges we found out Morton's was $22 more than it should be. Luckily upon checking out we had the receipt to show what we really paid.
the beach is great!! It is in a lagoon type setup that's blocked off from the ocean by rocks, so you feel safer going out a little further and they have a sun deck you can lay on that's out "in the water" which is really cool, and the pool is nice and has a swim up bar! we ordered a Pina Colada (the drink was invented at this very hotel) and they were great!
if you like to drink Red Bull, have the cab driver stop at a Walgreens for you or pick some up while in Old San Juan because they are $5 in the gift shop... other than that I can't think of anything bad to say about staying here :O)

Room Tip: Rooms in the Villas tower across from the lobby are quieter than in the main area.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton while visiting beautiful Puerto Rico

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property and we are delighted to read your stay was a pleasant one. Your comments help us improve our product and service and better understand the needs of our guests. We take your comments seriously and do share with all parties involved.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back in the near future.
Anoka, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend our 20th Wedding Anniversary in Puerto Rico with our two sons (10 and 15). Being a Platinum HH member I opted to spend the first of 10 days in PR at the Hilton Caribe selecting the Villas due to their perceived larger rooms. Used points for the stay (150K).

Check-in was very smooth, Omar, the front desk agent was very professional and neatly dressed. He had us checked in quickly and to our room.

Our room was not a "villa" by any means. Just an average hotel room with 2 queens. Very average. View was beautiful. Had a nice view of the Atlantic Ocean and the Lagoon inlet.

You get access to the full Caribe resort, beach, pools, plus gated access to the Villas Pool.

We ate breakfast with the HH coupons, and opted to upgrade for $8. Good selection of Puerto Rican breakfast foods if you choose to upgrade. If not, expect toast, bagels, etc with fresh fruit.

Overall, the Caribe resort is great, I just think the "Villa" side is misrepresented. Knowing that now I would not spend 150K HH Points on that property, I'd just stay on the Caribe side.

Service was great, from front desk to room attendent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel is located nicely between the airport and old San Juan. Take about 10 mins to get to the main freeway in Puerto Rico and about 5 mins to get to Old San Juan. The lagoon villas are a 3-4 min walk to the main hotel area. They however have a separate reception area. The staff are friendly and efficient.

The main hotel has its own beach which we did not use and a nice pool area and bar attached to the pool. It has a couple of restaurants, an Italian restaurant and one which serves a bunch of stuff from Paella to Pizza. The pizza is really bad in both the restaurants. There is a Starbucks on the property and we found it quite convenient. Parking is steep at $18.19/night but not much choice other than that.

I would stay there again if I ever went back to Puerto Rico. I think I got a decent deal on Priceline at $119/night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
LGMarcano, Manager at Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton, responded to this review, June 10, 2013

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you back in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My wife and I were visiting friends for the Memorial Weekend. We lived in San Juan many years ago and always thought well of the Caribe Hilton and as Hilton Honours members we stay often at Hilton hotels.

I rarely write bad reviews, but this was the worst experience I have had at a Hilton in probably 10 years. The positives : front desk staff were very nice and the adjoining hotel has nice common areas. However, the quality of the property and the room was very poor. Firstly, entrance to the lagoon villas is just after the parking garage and other 'back of the house' areas and not very inviting. The hallways are very narrow and the room was not well lit. The a/c or some other system was very noisy, especially in the bathroom - as if the system was on its last leg. Our room was across the hall from a big, dirty metal door marked staff; presumably a garbage room or something. The safe was locked open. The shower stall glass was dirty and the towels were not clean. The closet sliding doors were off their track and couldn't close properly. The carpet appeared not to have been vacuumed (by this point maybe we were just biased) and the lamp shades were crooked. There was no bottled water or any drinks in the room. We paid for the bed & breakfast but unlike most Hilton's I have stayed at it does not include a hot breakfast (maybe its in the fine print). The view from the window was very nice though.

I asked how old the building was and was told less than 10 years. It honestly looked like it was 4 times that. Immediately after checking in I expressed my dissatisfaction to the front desk and asked if we could be downgraded to a simple room in good condition in the hotel. I never heard back from them so later that evening we booked to move to La Concha the next day. I'm so glad we did. It is a real nice hotel.

I really regret having to be so negative as I am a loyal Hilton customer, but the condition of the Lagoons hotel and our room was incredibly bad.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet expectations and we are actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met.
I understand the look and feel of your room was of concern, we are always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options.

Jacksonville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The Condado Lagoon, a place our family was looking forward to staying during our final days in Puerto Rico, was a bust! Don't misunderstand, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the view was spectacular but that was about it. The rooms were overpriced, the parking garage fee was ridiculous, and the restaurants were ok. Also, this is NOT a family friendly vacation destination. We were so disappointed after trying to "make it work" that we finally let and went to a more enjoyable place. We lived in Puerto Rico for two years and thoroughly enjoyed many hotels and restaurants but the Caribe Hilton is NOT one I would recommend to friends and family coming for a visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience while at our property and apologize for nit been able to meet your expectations. We take your comments seriously and do share with all parties involved.

We hope to see you back in the near future.

Been to Condado Lagoon Villas at Caribe Hilton? Share your experiences!