“Good but could have been better...” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #174 of 628 Restaurants in San Juan
Cuisines: Hamburgers, Latin, Eclectic, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
San Juan, Puerto RIco
“Good but could have been better...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012 via mobile

We were there las friday night. Place was practicaly empty. We were sited right at the door just below the ultraviolet lamp to kill mosquitos. We don't know i the waitress had teeth because she never smiled. We needed to constantly ask for refills of sodas and/or water.

We had the hamburgers. Food was good. Try the BLT. The cilantro mayonnaise is awsome.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Panama City, Florida
“Wedding and Reception”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Our daughter's wedding and reception was held at "Under the Trees" in December. The staff, food and wedding area were exceptional. We were staying at an adjoining hotel, and had the opportunity to visit the restaurant several times. The quality of food and professionalism of the staff was consistent and never failed to please.

We will be visiting them again on our next visit.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Too salty, not cheap”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012 via mobile

So I did a Trip Advisor search for all the budget places. I wanted a nice but cheap place to eat and study. This place was one of the 22 "budget" places to eat out of 317 restaurants in Puerto Rico. I wouldn't call this place budget. Some of their entered are in the 30 dollar range and all their 10 dollar burgers are a la carte. A la carte means not only no fries but you also pay 1.50 for lettuce and tomato.

And the worst part is I was starving. I arrived at 5 pm. I have eating absolutely nothing all day, not even a yogurt or a carrot, nothing. And I worked out today. When I got the food it could have been anything and I would have ate it. The hamburger tasted like itvwas marinated in a bowl of salt. It was soooo salty it was disgusting but I ate it because I was STARVING. I didn't finish it though as it was nasty. Also I ordered it medium rare and it was well done.

I live about 1/2 mile from this place and I certainly will not recommend it to anyone.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent carribbean/PR food with great ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Stayed at the Doubletree in San Juan and this restaurant (Under the Trees) was opposite. Staff said it was good and I wanted somewhere nice but close for our anniversary. This restaurant has chic decor, open cooking i.e kitchen and 5 chefs were upfront. Great decor and lighting indoors. If you sit outside under the trees you will be serenaded by the local birds. We ordered 4 dishes. Had to reorder the ribs as my son ate his dinner and mine too. We also had the stuffed avocado with shrimps, a burger and the pasta. All of us enjoyed the food. $100 incl soft drinks. Cocktails are around $8-$10. If you are looking for a classy and trendy restaurant with great food, this is the place.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dorado, Puerto Rico
“Celestial....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

El Boricua Burger... es una mezcla de sabores dificil de explicar. Hay q probarlo. Creo q el menU de almuerzo y el de cena no es el mismo.