“Needs some TLC but over all pretty good :)” 3 of 5 stars

Atlantic Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Vendig St. | Condado, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #41 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Chicago
“Needs some TLC but over all pretty good :)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We decided to book our stay at Atlantic Beach Hotel probably why everyone else has booked it in the past, and that is because it is located right on the beach. I had read the past reviews on this place and at first was a bit hesitant but thought I would give it a try anyways because there was an incredibly low nightly rate for a hotel located right on the beach. Upon arrival we were nervous because the front desk during our check in seemed very rude as if they didnt know what they were doing. We had stepped up and they were conversing with eachother and actually had the nerve to say " will you just give us a minute?" in a rude tone. We agreed and stepped back. Once they called us up we checked in and went to the room which was on the second floor. The elevator is practically inoperable and in horrible shape. Luckly we didnt really need it since we were on the second floor.

The rooms: Small, but honestly who goes on vacation for the hotel room? We didnt plan on spending much time in the room anyways except to sleep. The room was everything we needed. Bed, Bathroom, and a TV (basically for background noise or before we fell asleep) The bathroom is tiny, but again, who goes on vacation for hotel bathrooms?

Our only issues with this place were as follows: 1) Little to no air conditioning and you cant control what air they do have in the room. Its San Juan Puerto Rico...they should have AC for their guests. 2) No screens on the windows. We were scorching hot our first night so we made the mistake of opening the window since you cant control the AC. We woke up the next day with quite a few little bugs in the room which must have came in through the open window because there were certainly no bugs before. They should have screens! 3) They had the prefilled shampoo/body wash in the showers in these containers attached to the shower. When I first pressed the button to get out the shampoo, it came out DARK BROWN as if they hadnt been changed in years or the shampoo was turning the color of rust for some other unknown reason. Once I held down the button for a good minute or two it turned back to the normal color of BLUE. 4) Drinks at the hotel were kinda pricey even during their "happy hour" - but the bartenders were overall very nice! 5) Thin walls. When trying to sleep one night after being out in the sun all day we could hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallways thru our bathroom for some reason.

This hotel def needs some love and care but over all it was a good place to stay for what we needed it for. Having an ocean front hotel was def worth all these little issues we had and better than staying off the beach for sure.

Room Tip: Stay close to the ground floor if you have alot of luggage or dont want to deal with the non functio...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

This hotel although not a 5 star fancy hotel is still very well worth the money paid for it at least for me. I was concerned because of previous reviews but when we got there the front desk guy was very friendly and disclosed all the information about what will be charged up front. Yes the hotel rooms are on the small side but they are still nice and clean if all you're looking for is a place to rest your head at night which is what I pretty much always use the hotel room for anyway when on vacation I'm rarely I'm my room unless I'm sleeping. A HUGE plus for this place is that the beach is literally it's back yard. It's also just steps away from just about everything you need. This would def be a place is come back to if and when I come to San Juan.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This was the most terrible place I've ever stayed at a hotel. I've stayed in so many places across the world including hostels but this hotel was just horrible. The morning staff was rude and wasn't helpful. My friends and I were ignored half the time we were there. Luckily we only stayed for 1 night! Never again will I stay here. The only good thing about it was the beach. And the price was too expensive for a crappy hotel.

• Stayed April 2014
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stay if you looking for hotel on the beach.... However, the guy you works the front desk is rude and very unpleasant. The hotel would probably get better reviews if he was not employed here or took some beginner courses in basic customer service...... After I check out Monday, I'll probably just stay somewhere else my next visit...

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

The hotel is ghetto on the beach. The rooms are as big as a closet. The showers are trailer park showers. You can't even bend over in them, seriously, maybe 2 feet wide at the most. You can hear everything in the hallways. People yelling and slamming things around. The elevator is a death trap. View of my room was a run down closed hotel. The toilet stopped up and they don't have a maintenance worker on duty. I booked for 4 night and had to leave after 2. They still said I had to pay for a 4 nights. Scammers and money trolls! People stay away from this place!! Horrible horrible!!

• Stayed April 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Stayed there for only one night, in March 2014, 2 years after my first stay.
Was in construction at the time. Great improvements since then. The location is great, the bar with direct access on the beach is nice.
It is a very good deal with affordable prices. We got lucky enough to be up-graded to a huge apartment with a charming patio at no additional cost so no need to say we had a fantastic night.
Provide beach towels and although the area is busy, they provide parking too and staff is very understanding and helpful no matter what time and how often you need your car.

Would def stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The location is great, right on the beach and the beach bar was nice but everything else was not so great. To begin with, we didn't get a hotel room. They put us in an "apartment" attached to the hotel because the hotel was full. The apartment was filthy. We were afraid to run the ceiling fans due to all of the dust and dirt on them. The patio outside the apartment had rotten old furniture stored on it and you couldn't even get to the patio because the door was locked. We are not hard to please people but I honestly would not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlantic Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!