“Great Location, Great View and Excellent Service” 4 of 5 stars

Atlantic Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Vendig St. | Condado, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #41 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
“Great Location, Great View and Excellent Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had read the reviews prior to going and was hesistant about the rooms due to no air conditioner adjustment, and the gap in the bottom of the door but I am here to tell you that it was not what I had vision. The rooms are small, yes, and there is a small gap in the bottom of the door but the rooms are cleaned everyday, and are in great shape. If you go with an open mind that you are on vacation and are not going to be spending time in your room, you will have a great time.. It has the perfect location, with an outdoor lobby, with bar and resturant outside, overlooking the ocean. John greeted me and during my stay treated me with "excellent service".

I spent 6 days in this hotel and I would recommend it to any of my friends or family.. One of the greatest trips I have had. What an experience!! Hotel provides beach chairs, umbrellas, and drinks on the beach.... all you have to do is bring yourself.. I will def go again. Robert R. Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

Room Tip: If you want a ocean view, ask early and ensure you book it. they fill up quickly..
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Affton, Missouri, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent two nights here and had a great time. The bar and open lobby area is so relaxing at night and wasn't too crowded. The beach area is fun...waves are rough. The only thing that could be improved in my opinion is the elevator for sure (we didn't have any problems but it won't last much longer), and the bathroom area. I was really frustrated with the shower curtain...it was literally two small curtains that met in the middle so water gets all over the floor really bad and it's all tile in the entire room so it gets slippery. Beds were pretty comfy. TV was fine...a few good channels. We were on the other side of the hotel away from the Oceano club so we didn't hear much noise at night but others probably could. The restaurant was a nice convenience but there are a lot of places to eat nearby. Keep in mind that there is a minimum of $20 at the hotel's bar area to use your debit/credit card. We recommend the blue cheese bacon burger and chicken quesadilla at the hotel or the beef and onions with plantains and pina coladas at Orozcos. Also Café Del Angel had a good pork mofongo. We had a wonderful time and I'm so glad we came here. The hotel has some flaws but it's a great location, chill spot that is low key (versus the resorts), and it just feels so Puerto Rico. Loved it!

Room Tip: Rooms furthest from Oceano seem to be better for light sleepers. Pay for the ocean view...it's n...
Livingston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The location of this facility is great. When you arrive, you walk into a semi-exterior lobby. Directly connected to the outside bar/restaurant and an ocean view. The rooms are small and there is no A/C control in the rooms. The doors to the rooms have 2-3" gap at the bottom of the door. They only had a smal 19" TV; with minimal stations. NO WIFI in rooms, only in the lobby. Even though the rooms were not up to par; the rest of the facility was great. You are directly off the main drag; with plenty of shopping and restaurants in walking distance. Also, this is an ocean front property, so when you go to the beach they do have a cabana boy coming by to get your cocktails. I would definately stay again, if only for the location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Redlands, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spent four nights in Old San Juan, sailed the BVI for a week, and then spent one more night in San Juan to catch a plane the next day. We chose the Atlantic Beach Hotel to just chill and that's exactly what we did. We took a cab for $19 from the airport to the hotel. As advertised, the hotel is on a sandy, swimable beach. The room was clean and spartan. We were on the second floor and there was an elevator, but the stairs were easy. We immediately went to happy hour on the terrace. Beautiful ocean, cool breeze and half priced drinks, wine and beer were all delivered on the open air terrance bar and restaurant. We wanted fresh food so I ordered the scallop salad...fresh lettuce with a light lime dressing and 3 perfectly cooked large scallops for a very reasonable price. Scrumptious. Later we walked the neighborhood and found high end hotels and stores a mere two blocks away. The bed was comfortable enough and the tile enclosed shower felt terrific. Breakfast the following morning was tasty and the service was good. Our plane was in the afternoon and our server did not rush us at all. So we continued to enjoy the ocean, the breeze, the people watching and topped it off with a Mojito, the perfect finish for a lay-over stay.

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view are above the terrace bar and music could be heard at night.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I booked a four night stay to the Atlantic Beach Hotel for four nights Wednesday trough Sunday. I didn't know what to expect. The pictures and reviews were mixed. I was pleasantly surprised. My girlfriend and I were very comfortable. The staff was very helpful, courteous, and as personable as you would like them to be (I am very excited about meeting new people and will ask you many questions lol) Carlos, Nancy made sure our stay was comfortable, kept my room key when we needed to leave it, called cabs, and booked tours. The staff didn't bother us unless we needed something. Maids only come if you put the sign on the door for cleaning. +1 for that. I liked the mixture of people; straight, gay, spanish, black, white. My girlfriend and I being a lesbian couple did not feel uncomfortable and loved the diversity.

Our room was on the second floor so we didn't have to get on the elevator. But I must say I am glad of that. The elevator was super old. We reserved the queen room with the ocean view and I am glad I did. The view was breathtaking. For the times we were in the room the sound of the ocean and the huge window over the bed was beautiful and lulled us to sleep. The room was very small but the bed was really comfortable. The closet had hangers, there was a hairdryer, wash cloths, towels and soap. No shampoo in the dispensers though. The bathroom and shower were a nice . Walgreens was right across the street so any small things you need its just a few steps away.

The location of the Hotel is excellent. It is on right on the beach. The bar was very nice and lounge area was open and stylish even down the restrooms. It was very comfortable and had the furniture facing the ocean which was a wonderview view while having cocktails. While we were on the beach, Armando the bartender was really helpful. He brought drinks really fast and they were delicious.

The restaurant had excellent food. The Blue cheese burger was awesome, Calamari was great. And next door there is Oceano, a very upscale restaurant if you want super fancy food network type of dining. Down the street are local clubs and other attractions. There was so much to do and so little time. We definitely didn't want to leave. I am looking forward to staying here again next time.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed for one night in early June 2012. We had spent our first night at a hotel in Aguadilla and then drove over to stay in San Juan.

Parking was awkward, we didn't want to pay for a spot in the small garage and get blocked in so we parked in the small side street. The hotel was clean and very plain but the bathroom was newly remodeled and beautiful. You don't come to Puerto Rico to stay in the hotels! As soon as the sun came up we were out on the beach! I did enjoy the lounge chairs on the beach they were very convenient and comfortable!

Our flight was out of Aguadilla late that night so we spent most of the day at the beach. I wish there was a shower to get cleaned off though, we had to get changed in the hotel bathroom with only a small sink to get refreshed for dinner and our drive.

We would probably visit again if an outdoor shower was installed for guests!!

Room Tip: You don't come to Puerto Rico to hang out in the hotel! Get out and go to restaurants and the be...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for two nights before moving to another hotel and it was okay. If you are going to Puerto Rico on a budget and just want to relax at the beach and dont expect luxury, than this is a good place for you.

The location is EXCELLENT--you're right next to the beach and you get free beach chairs for the day. The rooms are quite tiny and so is the shower, but it is clean and has a great temperature (not too hot/not too cold). The bar/food was pretty good but there are others around the area that are cheaper and better quality.

Now for the cons. The shower only had cold water for our last night which was refreshing but annoying at the same time (refreshing because you're sweaty by the end of the day but annoying because I always want a decent hot shower by the end of the day).

On our last night we had to wake up at 2:45AM to go to the Airport. Our phone alarms did NOT wake us up, but rather, it was the sound of the water pump that kept me up all night and woke me up on time to leave for the airport. By far, it was the most annoying, vibrating sound you will ever hear--thank goodness we didn't plan on sleeping in for the day.

The elevator sucks. Don't take it. You don't need to anyways since the whole hotel is only 3 floors and not a lot of stairs to take.

Overall, if you can live with cold showers, occasionally loud annoying noises at night and tiny rooms with very few amenities, then by all means this is for you. We stayed here for the location and the beach which certainly did not fail.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlantic Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!