“Nice view of the beach & ocean, but not the best rooms.” 3 of 5 stars

Atlantic Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Vendig St. | Condado, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #40 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
West Chester, Pennsylvania
“Nice view of the beach & ocean, but not the best rooms.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This place has a couple of perks. It's right on the beach & the patio has a great view of the ocean. The lobby was supposed to have free wifi, but it was incredibly slow...actually, I never even connected. As far as the rooms go, they were pretty clean but the shower was incredibly small. The elevator is a little sketchy, so I would recommend taking the stairs. It was a little noisy at times with doors closing, people talking & some telephone in the hallway ringing. Also, if you are in a same-sex relationship with someone, this place is PERFECT for you. I will not revisit this place.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was uncertain as to staying at the Atlantic Beach Hotel. Some of the Trip Advisor reviews were less than enthusiastic. I was there for eight nights and I have to say that based on location, this hotel is terrific! Located right on the beach it is about one block from good restaurants and upscale shopping, I found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. Rooms are basic though, so if you are looking for a plush room, you will be disappointed. I plan on staying here again!

Room Tip: I had an ocean front room for a modest price increase. As the ocean front rooms border the restauran...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Augusta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had an awesome first visit to PR and the reviews on Tripadvisor made it possible. First, don't pay attention to the old reviews for Atlantic Beach. The cruddy reviews dating back to 2002 drove down the star rating for the hotel. I may repeat much of what was stated in recent reviews although to recap;

1. The hotel is renovated and looks great. Great location right on the beach.
2. The restaurant was open and we had breakfast every day. The food was good, especially the pancakes. The service was a little slow, but the staff was right there and we just had to ask for things when they were inattentive.
3. Yes, there is a night club right next door. We wore earplugs and shut the windows. The noise was gone by 3 am and we then opened the windows and unplugged to listen to the waves.
4. Reserve an oceanfront room. They are worth the extra cost.
5. Yes, the rooms are small - it is an old building. Oceanfront real estate is expensive. Get over it. We managed fine and were not compelled to perform cartwheels in our room.
6. The location can't be beat. We walked four blocks to Ponce de Leon and took the bus for fifty cents to go sight seeing in Old Town. There is not much in Condado except the hotels, restaurants, and beach.
7. The hotel staff was helpful and will help arrange excursions. We were a little disappointed for recommendations for nightlife. Yes, as a gay couple we went to Circo as suggested and had great time. However, we were not told of Splash a couple blocks away or the Sunday tee party at Oceano next door. We understand the reason for not directing guests to a competitor and would suggest talking with other guests for an unbiased opinion of places to go.
8. Yes, there is an old elevator. Take the stairs if you are scared.
9. Overall the staff was great, happy hour was busy, and the other guests were laid back creating a friendly environment.

Nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Ive been going to PR for 20 years, this was my largest surprise ever ! My partner and I went into the atlantic beach hotel and my jaw dropped (lol) .. Many of you whom have seen this place decline would not believe your eyes !! Its great !! The bar is all new, the service level is great !! Carlos and Ivan were great as was the whole staff, The Sushi Bar is new and we ate there, it was great !! I really was thrilled that the AB Hotel was re-done, It looks fantastic and the staff is on top of it all. Yes its mostly gay, and it should be, The beach is great in front but honestly what a difference. We plan on going back in March and YES we would be thrilled to stay there and look forward to it !! Great Job Guys !!

Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at the Atlantic Beach hotel from 12/19 - 12/23/2012. The hotel is directly on the beach (Condado beach) and close to many restaurants. It has a very nice outdoor bar and the rooms are okay.
The big problem with this hotel at the moment is a new nightclub that opened right next to it which doesn't obey the local night time quiet rules. Translation, it gets really, REALLY loud at night. We stayed 4! nights total. On the first night the club was closed (lucky us), on the second the music/noise lasted until 1am, on the third to about 1:30am and on our last night till about 3am. Closing the windows and wearing ear plugs won't help, it's that bad. The hotel management called the police a couple times to shut them down, but as soon as the police left, they turned up the music again. The hotel management explained to us that they try to get a court order against the club owners, but until this gets resolved I would not stay at this hotel. It's kind of sad, because it would otherwise be a really good place to stay (location and price). You should contact them about this noise issue before you book otherwise you'll lose a lot of sleep. If it wasn't for this noise issue, I'd give it at least a 3 star rating.

Room Tip: If you really want to stay there, insist on a room on the east-end, away from this night club.
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Atlantic Beach Hotel and had a lovely time. The staff were wonderful and so inviting--from the front desk, to the parking attendants, to the bar staff, and the room attendants. Our room looked out over the beach & ocean; the bed was very comfy; everything was neat and clean. The patio lounge wasn't full service (steaks), but I was never wanting for anything (fabulous Cuban pulled pork sandwich). The happy hour is great too (I overheard other visitors say their hotel was charging 3x as much for drinks). The best part was being able to leave my room in my bare feet and walk right out on to the beach. My only minor complaint is the night club next door--pretty loud til about 2 a.m. But really, the management could invest in some new windows and the problem would be solved. Don't let this deter you though from an overall lovely time.

Room Tip: Ask for the 4th floor beach view; less noisy and lovey view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Salamanca, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I went to Puerto Rico for a Bike competition and the service was so bad I had to cancel my reservation to move to another hotel.
They won't let my bike to stay at the room because they guy simply didn't mind about my 7,000dolar value bike and insult me telling me that dirty bike had to stay outside at the hotel and that if someone stole it was simply my fault for bring a bike into the hotel.
Come on that's why you ask for a credit card in the first place, to cover any problem... and if I'm bringing a 7,000$ bike its supose to be for a competition not to put it in the mud and bring it inn a cheap low quality hotel like this one.
The overall experience was disgusting the staff wasn't helpfull and come on I came from Spain to have a good time and the guy at the reservation desk was rude and made me feel so bad.
Very very dissapoint I can't express how Terribly I felt.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo