“Before cruise hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Phila., Pa
“Before cruise hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Me, my hubby and my daughter and her hubby booked this hotel for a night before leaving for our cruise. We booked because the price was reasonable. We asked for 2 oceanfront rooms side by side, but got one on the second floor, the other was above us on the 3rd floor. No big deal. The room is small, but we just wanted something on the beach to jump start our vacation. Check in was easy, our room was ready early, the front desk saff were very helpful as to where to eat, and offered to call us a cab the next day to take us to the cruise port. We paid for oceanfront for the view, but the windows are so dirty on the outside from sand and salt, you really had no view. The air conditioning is controlled by the staff, so,it was not very cool, but I always travel with a fan, so we were fine. We were woken up several times late at night/early morning by people banging doors, and talking/laughing in the halls. Luckily we were just staying one night. MmOh, the elevator is tiny,Maslow, dirty and hardly works.

Room Tip: Stay closer to the cruise terminal, or at the casino
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Canton, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Nice location, reasonably priced, this is one of the few hotels that actual have a beach right at your fingertips. The room was very nicely decorated, smaller then the picture, but clean, pillows and bed comfy. Ask at the front desk for tour guides, excellent rates and quite enjoyable. I took my granddaughter with me and we both had a blast! This place is within walking distance to lots of shops, restaurants, casino. We just hopped a bus (very cheap) to old San Juan to see the forts, museums, take a ferry to Bicardi Rum, etc. Expect to see beautiful sunsets.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view rooms, well worth it
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for the weekend and had such a fun time. Yea we knew it was a an open spot but while you there it doesn't seem that way. The staff, security, and even the bartenders were awesome. I don't see me taking my kids there cause there's no refrigerator in the room, but I will def recomnd any couple, first time impression to a girlfriend/boyfriend to go there and visit. Looking forward to going back when renovations are done...

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

There are many mixed reviews for the Atlantic Beach hotel. I thought I would share my experience. I live the in the Virgin Islands and wanted a quick weekend getaway to a city with nightlife. Condado is where the action is so I knew I wanted to stay there. For the price, Atlantic Beach hotel is perfectly nestled in the middle of everything. The gay beach is literally right in front of the hotel so if you want to spot check the beach all you need to do is look out your window!!! There were renovations going on when I was there but it really did not negatively impact my visit. I did not have problems with a towel for the beach and I found the staff to be friendly. I would not say this is a gay hotel but I did notice several other "family" members staying there. It is located in walking distance to many of the gay bars and clubs so going out is easy. You can walk to the Eagle easy! There is a Starbucks close by as well as a Walgreens and several other stores. This makes things easy. I will stay here again when I go back to San Juan for a weekend of fun!

Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Ok, so this might be a little lenghty, but here goes... My boyfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights (July 16-17). Though the pictures of the lobby are very accurate, one of my biggest gripes is that we were staying just below the area that was being renovated. The first night, I was woken up at 7:00am to what sounded like a jack-hammer hitting the roof. We couldn't even hear each other speak. That was reason enough to get us out of bed and head on over to the beach for an early morning swim. I didn't complain because I didn't want to be THAT guest. At one point during our stay, I venture out into the hallway to try to find an ice machine so that I can fill the provided ice bucket. No such ice machine exists. You have to go to the bar and ask the bartender for ice.

The door to the room was quite flimsy and not at all what you expect for a hotel door. There was actually a 1-inch gap on the bottom. You could hear everything in the hallway just as I am sure everyone could hear our entire conversation. Another issue that I had was the fact that they make you pay a $100 deposit upon check-in. What the guy at the front desk failed to explain was that even though they have taken a payment of $100, when you check out, you have to make the full payment and then they will refund the $100 deposit 3-5 days later. I feel like they should just charge the difference. But that's just me. The whole parking situation was a mess. Luckily, we only went out on the first night then stayed in the area and walked for the other 2 days.

If you are able to book a room somewhere else, please do. You will save yourself plenty of headaches and trouble. The price for the area is great, but you get what you pay for. My personal tip, 1) Don't do renovations and construction during peak season, (ahem, summer!!), and if you have to, don't start hammering away until at least 11am. 2) Warn customers about the lack of an ice machine or don't be stingy and put one on the floor. 3) Change the doors to make customers feel safe. I felt like it could get kicked in at any time. And 4) A continental breakfast would have made a world of difference since there is not a fridge in the room, we had to walk to the Walgreen's down the street to pick up snacks. Trust me, if you feed your guests, sometimes the other problems can be "ignored".

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Try to choose one with a beach view since I doubt any of these are being worked on. Plus for just $1...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Eaton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

I checked in to the hotel and really liked it. The hallway and elevator were a bit outdated but it was ok. Once i checked into my room i fell in love. It was clean and i had an ocean view. My only complaints were as follows: There was no restaurant or breakfast served. However as i was leaving i believe there were some renovations taking place to resolve this. My other complaint is the loud noise from the bar next door. So bring ear plugs. Great location to shopping, restaurants,etc. Loved the beach access. Enjoy i did all except the loud music and people laughing and all.

• Stayed April 2012
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I (a gay couple) stayed here an entire week. Our room was clean and had a beach view on the 3rd floor with a queen sized bed. It was a decently sized room and had the essentials. Taking a shower the first day was tricky due to the shower knobs being sensitive but we had hot water after a minute or two of playing around with it (it's not rocket science). We paid $99 a night plus tax. I rented a car and it was an extra $10 a day. The ONLY issue I had was with parking. Nobody at the front desk told me to leave my keys with them so they could freely move the cars around when someone wanted to get out (it's a small parking garage). So when someone wanted to get out I luckily happened to be right down the street and happily obliged to go back to the hotel to move my car and leave my keys with them. Other then that the hotel bar staff was great and drinks were cheap and good during their insanely long happy hour. Our air conditioning was fine. It was never too hot or never too cold.

I thought the elevator was hilarious. It works even though its from the 60s or 70s. I dont understand what people were complaining about. The construction never woke us up (though I wake up around 7 AM my bf slept in until 11 some days). They are renovating to make it even nicer than it already is (adding a kitchen and awesome new bar). Theres a nightclub next door that got pretty loud during the night but whatever. It never bothered us as we were too tired to care. I saw gay couples there kissing and holding hands and never saw anyone kick them out. I also saw straight couples there and they seemed to be enjoying themselves just as much as us. The front desk knew us after a day and never gave us a hard time when entering or exiting the hotel. Every morning they'd greet me on my way to get coffee.

All in all this hotel was great. I think some of you should consider staying at your chains if you're going to complain about every little detail. It was fun and quirky. I would highly recommend it if you are into supporting the local businesses, dont mind a hilariously old elevator, and like sitting on the beach or a deck and people watching.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 301 with the beach view. It was lovely.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Atlantic Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!