“Great hotel but factor in taxi costs.” 4 of 5 stars

Acacia Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Taft St | Condado, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in San Juan
Austin
“Great hotel but factor in taxi costs.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I'll keep it short- This is a great hotel on a clean beach but if you'd better get a rental car. If not you will be spending a lot of money on taxi's. $15 from airport to hotel, another $18 to Old San Juan, $18 back to hotel & $15 back to airport, etc.. This was my only regret, not reserving a rental prior to my arrival for $27/day. Or just stay in Old San Juan, problem solved.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Stuart, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

My only complaint is there is no parking lot associated with the hotel. Out side of that, the staff was very informative, the room was great, and the hot tub was perfect for after we walked all over to relieve muscle pain. Our room was 204, the balcony was closed and you can almost touch the hot tub from our balcony. Room 203 has a bigger wrap around balcony if you're into that. Our room slept 2 quite comfortably. The hotel is only a few blocks from the main highway, and within walking distance are some good restaurants and a bakery. I have already talked some of my friends into staying at this hotel and I would not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: 204 or 203
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband and I stood for one night. We arrived around 5:30pm and there was no parking available in their lot but we lucked out finding one on the street. I loved the area and shops around. Quiet, safe neighborhood. The front staff was amazing and the room was small but clean. The shower was fine. Our balcony was big and we had the view of the jacuzzi and the beach. We were able to hit the jacuzzi in the morning and it was nice. I wasn't able to go to the beach. Next time I go to PR I will definitely stay in this charming boutique hotel.

Room Tip: 2nd floor facing the beach..
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Book this place during a last minute trip to PR. Originally booked it on Expedia, but later found a better deal on Booking.com. The front desk was a little hostile when I requested a cancellation and to waive the $250 cancellation fee, but once I mentioned that I was staying regardless they were more that helpful. We staying in room 103, the bed was super comfortable. However, the shower didn't have hot water. The best part was being able to utilize the hot tub, at any time, even at 11PM. The best hot tub I have ever used! Would love to go back!

Stayed August 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This hotel is excellent for its location - 10 steps (not even 2 minutes) to the beach and in exciting Condado. Its a small hotel which is what I like even more about it - quiet, relaxed atmosphere. Friendly staff. They give you beach towels when you head to the beach. After check-out they allow you to use their facilities (including a shower).

The room itself is small. The bathroom is neat and clean. The bed is fine. Honestly what more can you ask for when you spend most of the time outside.

I highly recommend staying here. It's a few steps to the Beach and Early Mornings and Late Afternoons ar romantics and nostalgic views. Its a 15 minute walk to the nightlight on Avenue Ashford. Close to Kasalta bakery which is where we had somehow affordable breakfast every day and cheaper you may find 3 blocks awayfrom Hotel, since the hotel does not provide breakfast as part of the room rate. Forgot to mention that we enjoy the other sister Hotel Windchine Hotel and ther small but confy pool.

Room Tip: Try to stay on lower level 1 or 2nd floor, if not, and your're only staying for a week or less a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Staten Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I was a solo traveler who found this hotel on trip advisor. I want to make my review easy to read so I'll just list my opinions;

Good-
1) Despite the exterior needing renovations, once your inside you won't believe where you are. It's gorgeous! This is not your typical hotel. The rooms give off that home feeling from the furniture to the shower. Speaking of the shower, it was nice and hot! If it would have been cold I would have left, I can't have a good time after I take a freezing shower.

2) I was staying in the Cruise Ship room which is the best room they have (and the most expensive of course). This room was beautiful. It's very spacious and the bedding is second to none! I think I might ask where did they get this mattress!

3) The bar/restaurant called Niche is staffed by a wonderful woman by the name of Donna. She was by far the friendliest staff member and really made it her business to make sure I was having a good time at the hotel. If it wasn't for her I don't think I would have had as many conversations with the staff. Some just didn't look like they wanted to be there. Ask for Donna!

4) Housekeeping really goes to town when your not there. When I come back it smells and looks cleaner then the last time. Kudos to the maids.

5) There's a hot tub that's rarely used although it's spectacular. I like it when there's not a lot of people in there with me.

6) The food at the restaurant is FANTASTIC! The cooks might not talk a lot but they sure know how to cook. I would give the prices a 8/10.

7) The hotel is located literally 1 min from the beach and within walking distance of various restaurants and nightlife options. Because I was a solo traveler I didn't venture to the nightlife.

8) The fair from the airport to the hotel is $16, don't let anyone tell you different.

9) At night the only entrance to the hotel has a security guard. During the day the door is buzzer operated by the front desk.

10) Jetskiing is $70 for a half hour but to be honest they let me ride it for a full hour!!!

The not-so-good;

1) Where my room was situated, the window in the bathroom led to a parking lot and the first morning while I was sleeping I heard someone trying to start their car. It made a loud screeching sound and scared me half to death.

2) Safe key didn't work.

3) There are certain staff that won't acknowledge you or even look your way. No "good morning" or " good evening". Maybe that's being picky but it doesn't take much to look up from the computer and say good morning, especially when you know a guest is passing you.

4) And being from NYC I feel some type of way when the staff talk Spanish in my presence to one another even though they all speak perfect English. If I owned this place that would be my number one rule for my staff, always speak English in front of the guests.

Lastly,

5) The windows aren't as sound proof as you would think. I could hear people having conversations at 7am.

I'm usually not the type to review places I've been but this is a gem in San Juan. Despite a few setbacks, overall my experience was wonderful in part because of Donna. I HIGHLY recommend this place and I'll be back when I return to San Juan.

Room Tip: Room 105. It's the cream of the crop. It's the most expensive room, but it's worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a week this past June. I inadvertently told the hotel clerk that I may be staying at the hotel for about 2 weeks. On the way to my room carrying a heavy bag I slipped on the ceramic tile steps as I climbed my way to the third floor. I found out too late the hotel has no elevators and no parking. Staff advised to park the car ilegally on the street since traffic enforcement rarely showed up to ticket illegally parked cars.What a way to provide parking for their customers. Food and drinks are very expensive! However, that's not what ticked me off; it was their refusal to bill me just for the days I stayed at the hotel. Instead, they billed for 2 weeks and the hotel manager showed righteous indignation when I told her what a terrible action this was and that no other hotel in the world would dare to keep over $1,000 of my money for services not rendered. I immediately contacted my credit card company to dispute the overcharge and get a reimbursement. I plan to write to the Puerto Rico Hotel and Tourism Association and the Puerto Rico Better Business Bureau to alert them to the Acacia scam. They've messed with the wrong guy this time.This is a fraudulent scheme that borders on fraud. By the way, the 2013 TripAdvisor Excellence Award is prominently displayed on their front desk!

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Acacia Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!