“Loved this place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Springfield, Missouri
“Loved this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Very beautiful hotel and was very quaint and authentic to Puerto Rico. Feel lucky that we stayed here instead of a resort further down the coast. Met great people( Donna , Louis and Andres) that directed us to great places to visit while we were there. It was our anniversary and we went to the Niche restaurant visited with Donna who is wonderful and had fantastic food and beverages while we were there. Great place to stay to experience the culture. Hot tub is huge and nice. Walk to the beach and we could see it from our room. Close walking to restaurants and shopping. Loved our time there!!!

• Stayed August 2013
InnontheBlueHorizon, General Manager at Acacia Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear vgomez13:

Thank you for your kind words. We are very happy to know that you had a wonderful time here at the Acacia Boutique Hotel. We are very glad that you chose to celebrate a very special moment in your life in our Restaurant Niche. We already shared this review with the staff specially Donna who was very happy to hear about your experience. If anything please contact us directly, and give us a visit next time you are here in Puerto Rico.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Just like a previous reviewer, we were "upgraded" by the Acacia hotel to its "sister" hotel (Wind Chimes) down the road. When I queried the "upgrade" I was told that it was because I had booked the "run of house" room, which was very small. After wheeling our bags down the street, and away from the beach ( one of their marketing points), we found a smaller sub-standard premises. We asked whether there was a safe in the room and were told that "it might not work", and it didn't. I returned to the Acacia and demanded to see the "very small" room if it had a working safe. They were not happy, and the woman at reception was downright rude (but that seemed to be her general modus operandi anyway). Upshot was that the safe worked so we took the matchbox sized room. My husband then checked the television which did not work because of a problem with the cable connection. We asked for this to be rectified but it turned out that it was, apparently, a problem with the whole hotel and the cable company were addressing it as a priority - it wasn't fixed by the time we left.

This place does not deserve the rating that it has. The photos are so inaccurate. The pool is tiny, the rooms are very basic, and most of the staff should not be working in the hospitality industry. We went so far as to try a number of other hotels (I was quite happy to pay again just to stay somewhere else) but it was a long weekend and everything was booked out.

I suggest not staying here but, if you do, don't be scammed by the so-called upgrade, and let me know if that "priority" repair job on the cable service ever did happen.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

The good thing about this hotel is the location and the lobby. Customer service is lacking in every respect - based on the service it is not really a "boutique" hotel. I booked the hotel for five nights and began regretting it as soon as the check in process began. There was only one person working behind the desk and although she was pleasant enough, she was slow to check us in because every time the phone rang she absolutely had to answer (no call answer service I guess). One particular call was quite galling because it lasted a good 5 minutes or so and consisted of pleasantries and looking up the work schedule of the caller for the following week - this took some time because there are three properties and she had to look at all of the schedules. Fast forward to 2 a.m of the first night. A rather loud group was staying at the hotel and they were unaware that their loud patio conversations had the potential of disturbing other patrons of the hotel. The sign at the front desk says to call the Wind Chimes hotel after hours and even though I tried, no one was there to pick up the phone. When I mentioned this, the response was "really, no one answered" - as though I was making the story up. To add insult to injury, I was traveling for two days around the island and had plans to return to the hotel for the last night in Puerto Rico. I asked if it would be possible to leave a suitcase at the hotel. They said that they do not have storage but if we were willing to sign a disclaimer absolving them of any responsibility that should be fine. I was good with that - the only thing I was going to be leaving behind was clothes. I made plans based on the convenience of not having to bring the suitcase. At around 9:30 on the night before leaving I was told that I would not be able to leave the suitcase there after all, and I was told because I asked about the disclaimer. Otherwise I would have been told at 7 a.m. the next morning. I understand that my request was not perhaps a common request and if they did not want me to leave the suitcase behind I would have been fine with that. What was particularly irksome was that I was there for 5 nights so there was plenty of time to tell me or to leave a note at my door explaining that I could not leave anything behind. Instead, they chose to string me along and have me deal with matters at the last minute. This speaks volumes of the type of customer service these people deliver. The customer should always come first and if you can not accommodate a particular request be upfront. Don't lie about it! There are other complaints but this review is long enough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My name is Eduardo Trullenque, food and beverage director of a 800 room hotel in Baltimore, Maryland. To start off if I could recruit Michelle Gonzalez, FO Agent, I would do it in heart beat. The way she has treated all the early arrivals has been outstanding. Counting me, we are at least 5 families. Not she directed where to eat, but where to cut my hair (incredible). When check in time mrs. Margarita Sanfeiez, Senior guest director, accommodated us wonderfully. I stayed here 7 years ago when it was getting remodeled. Today the best thing the hotel did is the staff. If you come to Puerto Rico you have to stay here.

More will come...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
InnontheBlueHorizon, General Manager at Acacia Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Hola Eduardo T

Thank you for your kind review. We were happy to read that you loved the hotel. We have shared your review with our Front Desk Agent Ms. Gonzalez, who was excited to find out this positive impact she had on your stay. It it’s our pride and mission to provide a service of excellence to who come through our doors. Please come visit us next time you are here on Puerto Rico and feel free to contact us directly at the hotel.
Hutchinson, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The Acacia is beautifully decorated but very understaffed! This hotel is not "on" the beach but behind a high rise residential building that is on the beach. It would work well for someone who is very self-sufficient and is mostly wanting to sleep in and go to the beach during the day, but doesn't care to hear the surf at night. (They have an outstanding hot tub, but it masks all ocean surf noise.) It is understaffed in terms of number of people and training that that staff has. Sister hotel (Wind Chimes) seems to be where the management resides. We had a couple of issues during our stay that with right staff could have led to positive review. The staff seems to be made up of good people, they just don't have the right training. This is something that could easily be fixed by management. Our experience... we called for directions from a neighboring town (by way of a major highway) front desk acted like no one had ever asked for directions before. With some prompting they were able to look up directions on mapquest, and provide those directions. Upon check-in we found that the balcony overlooking the city was full of water (clogged drain?). It looked like it could easily spill into room. The front desk clerk, who seemed to be the only staff on duty, offered to move us to an adjoining room. The room had 2 beds but a combined balcony/entry that hot tubbers could see into if the curtains are not fully drawn. Far less romantic, so we declined. The front desk clerk then offered and then very efficiently cleaned the balcony. (Where is maintenance???? This should not have been his job.) The next morning I had gone down to get coffee from restaurant but it was not open (even though posted hours said it should have been) and met a nice couple trying to check-in. Front desk had not yet arrived. I went back to the room and was surprised a little later to hear a key turning in the door. Early maid service...Nope! They had given other guests a key to our room. Fortunately, it was the couple I met earlier otherwise it could have been very awkward. The morning front desk clerk arrived shortly thereafter to verify that we were in the room. She did say she was sorry for the inconvenience but asked what happened. We were out the following day but returned to find there weren’t any pool towels for the hot tub. I suppose we could have gone over to the sister hotel – but that seemed a little silly to get pool towels. Finally, we attempted to do an early check-out our final morning at 7am. Front desk posted hours begin at 7 and we had mentioned several times that we would need to do this (as well as store our luggage) to take a day tour with a 7:10 pick up time. One of staff (turns out probably a restaurant employee) was around in the morning and directed us to “luggage storage” – to the side of the front desk in the main lobby. NOT SECURE. However, front desk had yet to arrive so at 7:08 hubby high tailed it to sister hotel to complete check-out. He found that the staff was over there and seem to being directed to their assigned stations.

Room Tip: Other than 206 avoid 2nd floor rooms. Not high enough for view but do get all hot tub noise/traffic...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Savoy, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

After reading the reviews here and the ranking that Acacia has, I decided to stay one night at the hotel. There is no elevator, so you will have to carry your luggage up the stairs. The rooms are very small. The rooms could be compared to a college dormitory. In the room you are provided a phone, small television, dresser, and two night stands. The bathrooms are even smaller. The bathroom has a shower, sink, and toilet. Towels are provided with shampoo, conditioner, and hand soap. The staff was very nice and the hotel is close to the beach, however, it is a very "budget like" hotel. I was disappointed in the price I paid for the quality of room. If you are used to 4 and 5 star hotels, this would not be a good choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Gina K

Thank you for your kind review, we are sorry that our boutique hotel did not meet your standards. Boutique hotels usually don’t have an elevator and aren’t big on amenities comparing to what a resort hotel could offer nonetheless we pride ourselves on giving a exceptional guest service so with that said maybe the front desk could had help you with your luggage up the stairs or give you the alternative of offering a room on a lower floor, our mistake. We would like to invite you next time you’re in Puerto Rico to mend this with you and if any questions please contact us directly at the hotel.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned after a 4 night stay. Here is our review broken down:

First Impression- Clean, safe, stylish, and intimate.Small restaurant attached (5 tables + bar) which is extremely overpriced for entrees. The roof-top deck is really 4 lounge chairs on a cement rooftop with an obstructed view of the ocean as the "beach/ocean view" is blocked by many surrounding tall buildings (some dilapidated). A small pool on the 2nd floor.

Room- Clean, good size, nice Latin feel decor, small balcony with seating, quiet, and bathroom was good size. Downside- No coffee maker, No frig, bad water pressure in shower.

Beach- about 40 yards away, local spot, never full, towels available by hotel, no chairs or umbrellas available. Overall good beach, but no lifeguards.

Location- walk-able distance to many popular venues including.... la concha and other near-by hotel/bars.

Service- They are helpful for the basics, but a couple of things left a bad taste in our mouth. First, we rented a parking spot (which is actually at a nearby sister hotel 1/2 block away) and for the first 3 days, each time we wanted to get in and out of the lot we had to go into the hotel and ask them to let us out. They stated that they did not have enough garage door/arm openers for all of their rented spots. The next issue came up when we had a work emergency, but they could not accommodate a quick use of their printer or fax. Finally, when we asked for a late check out we were told noon would be fine. Yet at 9am the day of our departure, the housekeeper was knocking on the door expecting us to be out. When questioned about this, the staff stated that there had been a misunderstanding and our room was slated to be an early check-in for someone at noon and we had to be out by 11. They did comp us breakfast at their restaurant (nothing special with regards to food) because of this inconvenience but we had already planned our whole morning around the idea that we would have a late check out.

Overall our stay was comfortable at this minimalist boutique hotel, but some refined touches could really make this a gem.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
JandADocs
We offer our most sincere apologies for the experience that you may have experienced at our facility. We can assure you that this does not represent the efforts and consistency that our staff strives for with our guests. We would like to kindly extend an invitation for you to stay at our hotel next time you visit Puerto Rico and give us the opportunity to serve you with our accustomed standard of excellence.

Regarding to “no coffee maker and no fridge,” we must state that we have various rooms appointed with a small refrigerator and a microwave for the convenience of our guests. However, your deluxe room boasted with spaciousness and candor; well appointed as you mentioned.
A note on our Restaurant Niche; our fare has been prized for its presentation and its flavor and is noted for its excellence and service, which are offer to our prestigious guests.
We must apologize for the misunderstanding of checking out at noon. Our hotel policy clearly state that the check- out time is at 11:00 am. We offered to accommodate your request for a late check-out without additional charges, honoring an hour delay However, a reservation arrived to be serviced to the room you were occupying at the time; thusly we had to comply with the time frame needed to appoint said room in the most correct manner, as we did at the time of your arrival.

We would be delighted to expound on our minimalist, tropical lush with exquisitely appointed, refined touches for your welcoming stay.

Been to Acacia Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!