“Really cool place, great value, awesome staff” 5 of 5 stars

Acacia Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Taft St | Condado, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #12 of 44 hotels in San Juan
Greenfield, Wisconsin
“Really cool place, great value, awesome staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Acacia staff were great before I even left the states to set foot in their hotel. My friend booked the hotel under his name and credit card, but he was not going to be there before another person and I got there. I figured I would be tired from the flight and would want to drop off my luggage before the guy who booked it got there. So I called the hotel the night before our trip. I spoke with Margarita about the situation. She said Oscar would call me back in 15 minutes. He called in like 2 minutes. He gave me his number and said to have the person who booked the room call him and if he got the okay from the booking party, the other person and I could check in. It was taken care in no time and worked flawlessly - one less thing on my mind.

When we got there, Margarita knew exactly who I was from our short convo over the phone. Because of how patient and polite I was about the situation over the phone, she said she upgraded our room for no charge.

We got this super sweet location - our room was located next to the ginormous and beautiful hot tub. Not bubbling jets, but who cares? It was warm and relaxing and clean and gorgeous. So awesome for when you feel like you should soak up more outdoors water time, but want to be close to your hotel (and room!). Spent at least a few minutes every night in the hot tub. No one rowdy was in it for the three nights we stayed, but I could see it being a very attractive place for everyone, from quiet couples to party crowds on spring break.

The hotel itself is so pretty and unique. Really a "boutique" place. Hard to describe, but look at the pics posted by other reviewers to get the idea. It's a really fun and artful place.

No elevators, but not a huge deal. If you have trouble with steps, then make sure to get a room on the first floor.

Location - it really is less than a block away from the beach. Pretty sweet.

The service was always awesome. Margarita was always there to chat and to give excellent recommendations on places to eat. Yanita (spelling?) was helpful and Michelle so patiently gave me a bunch of advice on bike rentals, Old San Juan,and restaurants. Even the gentleman at the door gave me super helpful advice on a local and reasonably-priced car rental place that will pick you up and drop you off at the hotel (saving me a couple taxi rides to and from SJU for a rental).
And as a nice little touch, there was always ice-cold, fruit infused water in a dispenser, waiting for us at the front desk with every trip in and out of the hotel.

I've read the Trip Advisor reviews. Beach towels never ran out when we were there. No one was ever rude. The rooms are somewhat small, but I think that's just how the local hotels are. I think us Americans are used to crazy big rooms with more space than one could ever need, so it's a slight change from that. But not a problem at all. I'm there to crash at the end of a long day of enjoying San Juan. It's true that we had no fridge, like other reviewers stated. But really this is kind of a plus. I think it helps keep bugs out of the room when hotel patrons don't get into the habit of turning the room into a kitchen. Plenty of shower supplies - towels, hand towels, washcloths, soaps. The toilet and shower ran well. Really liked the cool tiling found in the shower area. Huge tv on the wall of the room, but I wasn't there to watch tv, so we never turned it on. The room was very clean. It's also true that you have to go a block up to the sister hotel Wind Chime Hotel to have access to a pool. But being a block from the beach, I didn't ever feel the need to jump into a pool, so I never went there to use it. The staff are shared between the hotels during a few off-hours, but someone was always around or close by to help. Great A/C, too.

Didn't try the Niche restaurant located within the hotel, so I can't give a review of that.

This place had everything I needed for a great stay - great price, excellent customer service, and cleanliness. The amazing hot tub, the close proximity to the beach, and the beautiful decor were bonuses. I would absolutely stay here again and recommend it to anyone in the vicinity of San Juan.

PS - there was this really neat area on the fourth floor rooftop. There was a full bathroom (shower and toilet) and then several lounge chairs on the roof area. I spent some time up there a couple nights, just enjoying the quiet, warm San Juan night. Really relaxing after a long day of beach time or touristy stuff.

Room Tip: I think the room numbers that end in 07 and 08 are located closer to the hot tub. It's still e...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

374 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Soldotna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights and found it a perfect venue for us. Couple looking for a romantic small hotel with access to beach and great food (Niche restaurant - on site). Room was small but we got used to it. Great balcony for coffee & cocktails with a sneak leak of the ocean. Good location for town walking or the beach. Two mornings of street noise had us keep air conditioner on the third night & that worked like a charm to sleep better.

Room Tip: Upper floor & off street side may be better than our street side room 301
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Acacia for 4 nights, arriving 3/22-leaving 3/26. We were supposed to have arrived on 3/21, but lost a day when United Airlines left us stranded in Newark. We contacted the Acacia and explained the situation and they were great about it. Our flight got in after midnight. The Acacia staff made check-in very easy for us. We called the night clerk at the Wind Chimes from the airport and he met us at the Acacia and checked us in without a hitch.

The front desk staff at the Acacia are terrific. They are friendly, knowledgeable, and determined to make your stay as pleasant as possible. As first time visitors to Puerto Rico, we had lots of questions and the Acacia staff were extremely helpful. We had an early morning flight back and again, the Acacia staff were very helpful- making sure a cab was waiting for us when we checked out at 3 AM.

We booked a deluxe king room, and it was certainly commensurate with the rate charged for it. The daily housekeeping service was a really nice feature too. We enjoyed popping out on to the beach for a walk every morning. The one drawback to our room was that it faced the outdoor jacuzzi, which is open 24 hours a day. Guests are asked to be courteous, but there was noise at 5 AM one morning and at 11:30 the next night.

We had breakfast at the Niche twice, and also had wine and appetizers there one night. Very comfortable, with staff who make you feel like family. We enjoyed the intimate setting, and had a lot of fun swapping stories with the other hotel guests.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at the Acacia. We would certainly consider staying there again, should we return to San Juan,

Room Tip: Hard to please everyone, but perhaps the Acacia will reconsider placing a limit on the hours of oper...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
mobile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

recently stayed here during march, which is always a crap-shoot in the caribbean with spring breakers. luckily, puerto rico isn't that high on the list of too many college kids but there were still a good number running around. that being said, the acacia is only 21 rooms and after taxes and everything was a little over $200 a night. cheaper than the higher end hotels in the busier part of condado and more expensive than the chain high-rises (doubletree, hampton, etc) but the combination of location and peace and quiet was what we were looking for.

location-wise, it was great. not on the beach, but maybe a 30 second walk which was nice. plus it was very walk-able to condado and ocean park and on the bus line to old san juan (75 cents!) which was nice. plenty of restaurant and bar options within a 15 minute walk.

the staff couldn't have been nicer. they went out of their way to set up tours, answer any questions and provide a welcoming atmosphere.

the room we stayed in had a balcony overlooking the side street, which is a dead end, so no traffic noise (except for the early morning tuesday and thursday garbage trucks!). the ocean is visible from the balcony, which is always nice. comfortable bed and a great shower. what else do you need?!

the hotel has a small wading hot tub, which is nice for an afternoon soak and a tiny restaurant that we only had breakfast at once but it was tasty.

overall, very recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a week and loved it. The decor is nice, our room had an amazing view of ocean park beach (room 303). The staff are super friendly and knowledgeable and can help with anything. It's located 15 mins from old San Juan by taxi (max. $17) and the bus stop is nearby. Overall, great hotel, awesome people and great location.

• Stayed March 2013
Charles City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

this hotel is a very nice,clean well managed hotel only a half block from a very nice beach.Only thing i would not due is stay on the ground floor again.Our room 102 was at end of hall by outside patio and ice machine,was woke up early morn 5.30am by garbage trucks and or delevery trucks,and woke up late nights by echos of doors slaming from other guest comeing in late.asksed for a diff room but hotel was booked,very nice roof top sunning area with showers and views.In walking distance of lots of fantastic places to eat.Allday beach vender sells ICE COLD BEER on beech $2 a can,he even gave me two free ones and told me i was (good people) and welcome to puerto rico,I was always talking to him about his dog that was due anyday with pupps,both of them VERY FREINDLY.Had a great time,just stay on upper floors for noise and better view.Stayed 3 nights before our Royal Carib Cruise :) :)

Room Tip: upper floor rooms for quite and excellent views of beach or pool area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ottawa, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Just got back from a one night stay at the Acacia post cruise. We arrived at around 10:00 a.m. which was of course too early to get our rooms. We left our luggage in the lobby and put our bathing suits on and went to the beach just down the street. Our rooms were ready by about 2:00 p.m. The guy behind the desk was very helpful and accomodating. We booked two rooms (room 204 and 307). There is no elevator so carrying luggage up and down was a bit of pain. Room 307 was the best in the hotel as you could see the ocean and the huge hot tub from you room. It has big double doors that let the ocean breeze come in and it has a huge flat screen. The hotel apparently has one of the best restaurants in San Juan but we did not eat there as it's quite expensive. We did go to Bebo's for some local food which is just a short walk and it was very reasonably priced and tasty.

Pros:
Close to beach.
Great hot tub.
Friendly staff
Beautiful small hotel
Close to restaurants and grocery store.

Cons:
Expensive
No elevator
Bit of a rough area of town

Room Tip: 307 and 308
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Acacia Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!