“A Lovely Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Acacia Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Taft St | Condado, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Bluffton, South Carolina
“A Lovely Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was a little nervous after reading some of the negative comments but am here to report that the Acacia was a wonderful little hotel. It was spotlessly clean, charming and quaint. It is only steps to the beach and in walking distance of some eateries. In our travels we found that Acacia was so much nicer than the modern high-rise hotels that we passed.

The staff was pleasant and very helpful. Thanks to Maria del Feliz for her hospitality and Johnita for such a warm welcome and for hauling our suitcases up the stairs. They always reminded us to stay hydrated and always had orange or lemon infused cold water at the desk.

The view from 207 had to be the best. 307 MIGHT have been better but it was another flight up. 207 had two King beds, a big mounted TV (with many shows in English), a small table and chair set and lots of other space to move around. The bathroom was unique with its copper-colored tile.

Niche was a little expensive for dinner but breakfast was reasonable and beautifully served. Thanks to Hector for his great service.

We ate in a lot of Puerto Rican restaurants in Old San Juan but once back at the hotel, you will find some cafes, Burger King (food served with a Puerto Rican flair) and Church’s Chicken on Loiza, just east of Taft. Kasalta Bakery was a little further east at 1966 Calle McLeary.

There is a Quiznos (with delicious soft ice cream, sandwiches, soup and groceries), a short distance on Loiza, just west of Taft. Just past Quiznos, is Bebos restaurant (with a variety of Puerto Rican dishes) and a large grocery store with lots of take- out food and snacks and a drug store.

Among other things, we spent 2 days in San Juan and took advantage of the tour to the Rain Forest, picking us up right at the door. Bus service was “spotty”, to say the least and we were never able to catch a bus anywhere. Ended up taking cabs.

I am pleased to be able to tell my photography club that the Acacia is the place to stay when they visit Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: Rooms 207 and 307 have the best view. Best to be on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We were very satisfied that we chose Acacia hotel. We asked and we got the room overlooking
to the see with the balcany. Room was good and clean, not very big, but ok for two of us.
Location was just perfect, away from the big hotels area. Close to the beach. The staff was polite and helpfull.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I have been going to San Juan, Puerto Rico for the last 4 years and we have always returned to the Acacia Boutique Hotel. The hotel is near the beach, the rooms are spotlessly clean, the staff are always friendly and ready and willing to serve our every need. The hotel is well located in a quiet residential area and we were able to easily walk to restaurants, tourist attractions and see the nightlife.

Room Tip: We prefer to have a room with a Queen size bed and a Balcony. Rooms near the jacuzzi are beautiful a...
pending
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

When I vacation, and I know I'll be making multiple stops with numerous hotel stays, I like to make a "left turn" from the mega-resort-corporate-hotels and stay at a place that has a bit of character, edge, and it's pleasantly surprising: which can be a hit-or-miss....and Acacia is a miss-LEADING hotel.

The lobby of the hotel is small, quaint but cute, and the restaurant inside the hotel is tiny although we heard it was very nice. No elevator to our 3rd floor room, and no assistance by anyone from the hotel with our bags- Small issue for me, but it was the small issues that accrued into the "get me outta here!" mentality.

We had a rental car during our stay, and this was the biggest disappointment to learn: The hotel apparently offers hotel parking at their sister hotel "Windchimes", but you have to reserve that in advance of your stay, and it's $10 a day. Again, I'm basing this info on the information I located on our confirmation email after our stay was over. While I admit fault for not reading the fine print on the confirmation email about the parking situation, I can't ignore what felt like a slap in face: Seeing valet parking offered to the hotel RESTAURANT patrons, while we're circling the neighborhood for a half-hour looking for street parking.

As for our room: the decor is stuck in the year 1984. Outdated, with shotty TV service and snails-pace WiFi. Our room was located on the front side of the hotel, which was front row for the uninvited 6am wakeup call by the trash truck emptying dumpsters on the street in front of the property - I asked my wife if she left the windows open, because it was THAT loud...

...again, small issues: that equated into us wanting to run away from this hotel like it was on fire...

When I got the final bill, I realized that for about the same $ I could've just stayed at another mega-resort with less hassle.

If you're looking for hotels in Puerto Rico, and considering this place as an option, I advise you to keep looking...

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The front desk staff that checked-us in was lovely, the hotel was well maintained and impeccably designed. The jacuzzi was enormous and a fantastic addition to the hotel. The location, as well, was ideal, as it's just half a block from the beach.

San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in November 2011 (couldn't go back that far with the selection) - this spot is one of my favorite places I've ever stayed, and I think it is a great value for the location (although there is limited parking and the neighborhood might not be the best once you get a few blocks away). We loved the hot tub and the mojitos, and from what I recall, the food at the restaurant was pretty good. It's a short walk down to the beach, but we didn't have enough time in San Juan to check it out. I don't know if this would be a great place for an extended stay (the rooms and the property are relatively small), but I would definitely recommend staying here if you only want to be in San Juan for a night or two. I will definitely try to stay here again whenever I am back in San Juan.

I'm surprised by the negative reviews and complaints on here - we had a standard queen room with balcony - not sure the room number, but it was on the second floor in the corner of the building on the side facing the ocean and closest to the road. I booked through the hotel directly (not sure if others who have had booking issues did this), and the only sounds I remember hearing at night were the coquis.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We arrived at the Acacia for a two night stay in San Juan. Right off the bat, it took us about a half an hour just to check in. There was one attendant at the desk, and he was on the phone the entire time booking rooms for a group tour on a later date. When we were finally recognized, we asked where we could park. We had to fend for ourselves as far as parking our rental car. We were given some tips, and those tips included "don't park here on this street" (Taft) and "don't park one block up because that's a bad neighborhood". Um, thanks? Yup, parking was a nightmare. Another 20 minutes of circling to find a parking spot. Overall, it was an extremely stressful check-in process. Not a good first impression.

We were brought to our room, which was directly across from the "pool" area. It had two glass doors leading right out to the pool, so we had to keep the dark curtains pulled the entire time for some privacy, and there was no other windows or natural light. Our room had two beds, one had sheets with stains. The "king sized" bed was actually two double beds pushed together with king sheets covering both beds (with a noticeable "line" in the center). The bar of soap that was left for us in the bathroom was just filthy, and the wall-mounted hairdryer shot sparks at me when I turned it on. I mean, really.

The only part that we really enjoyed was the downstairs restaurant, with a very nice bartender in the evening (I think his name was Ian) and the breakfast was tasty, too. It's also very close to the beach, and they provide beach towels in the lobby for you to take.

If you are going to enjoy this hotel, you need to go in with a few things in mind:

1. This hotel is a block away from a less than desirable neighborhood.
3. Don't be fooled by the "trendy" reviews. This property is old, and some in-room features are very dated.
2. Don't even think of bring a rental car here, parking is difficult and the staff is unhelpful with this matter.
3. It is a good 15 minute drive from Old San Juan. A $20 cab ride we found since we didn't want to move our rental car from a spot we searched so desperately for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Acacia Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!