“Very Impressed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Paterson, New Jersey
“Very Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

What a beautiful, charming little hotel! But what confusion! We had initially booked the Wind Chimes, but as they were having trouble with their air conditioner, they moved us to the Acacia, which is closer to the beach by a block, and we were told, quite an upgrade. They had a little trouble, moving us to a different room mid-vacation, which was a hassle, as they had overbooked the room we were in, which I thought to be bad customer service and is the reason I don't give the hotel four stars. Other than that, access to the restaurant and beach is nice and the views are pretty, too. I just would have liked to stay in our first room rather than change as this caused a lot of unnecessary stress. Make sure you confirm your dates of booking from hotels.com with the hotel you end up in not just the one you booked because the acacia only had record of our stay at the wind chimes for half of our vacation! Finally, the hotel is very well-connected with local tours and spas so you have the best stay possible. I would book it again but not with hotels.com to avoid the length of stay mishap and having to switch rooms (I still don't see why they couldn't have just moved the other people to our second room rather than uproot someone else's (our) stay, but whatever). Generally clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked here 6 months in advance during the busy San Sebastián Festival weekend. We were anxious to stay here based on the TA reviews.

When we arrived, we were told the hotel had over booked and that we had been moved to their sister property, the Wind Chime, just down the street.

Due to this crazy busy weekend in San Juan, we knew we didn't have much choice but to go with it, since most area hotels were full. We were disappointed when we had to leave the Acacia, and even more disappointed when we saw our new room. You can read my review on the Wind Chime page. We travel often and have stayed in a wide range of hotels- from budget to luxury, and are generally easy to please, but this was the worst we've ever seen.

If you book a room at the Acacia, I would recommend calling a day or 2 before arriving to confirm you have a room there. The hotel is in a great location, just a block or so from a very nice beach and a short walk to the Condado area. I wish we would've gotten to stay there.

• Stayed January 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We booked the Acacia 6 months in advance. When we arrived we were told that they were over booked and moved us to the Wind Chime, another hotel they own a block further away from the beach. The Acacia looked really nice, but since we spent less than 5 minutes in the lobby and were then moved to the Wind Chime, I can only base my review on our experience. Trust me when I say, you do not want to stay in the Wind Chime. Ants, standing water, no air, NO GOOD. The only good things about the place are that it's close to the beach and the staff are great. So, book here at your own peril... Look for my review of the Wind Chime on the Wind Chime listing here on TA.

• Stayed January 2013
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We were very happy with our stay in Acacia. Its not right on the beach but its a stone throw away. Staff were very helpful and the accomodation was clean and bed comfortable. It was about a 15-20 min walk from center of Condado where most of the restaurants and bars are. Never once felt unsafe in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at the Acacia Hotel with my wife in December following a cruise which concluded in San Juan. The hotel was generally clean and we found the service to be very helpful with things like advice on dining and site seeing and had no issues with our check in and check out. The bed was quite comfortable and room amenities, while limited, were ample given the style of hotel this is. Prior to booking the room I read the previous T.A reviews about the check in issues and for this reason I emailed them a week prior to ensure that a room was confirmed and took a copy of the printed reply with us just in case. As it turned out we did not experience any problems other than having to wait for the room to be cleaned. (As we arrived quite early in the morning) We walked most places in the neighbourhood for dinner etc and did not have the concerns of the previous reviewers about crime or safety. Indeed were surprised at the amount of police we saw around but this was just our experience and perspective. We had only one meal at the restaurant, breakfast, which was quite nice. However, the dinner menu did appear quite over priced considering the competition at other restaurants 10 minutes walk up the road.

Problems we did encounter were noise from the pool area and the airconditioner. We stayed in a room that opened up onto the pool. Unfortunately, we had inconsiderate neighbours who decided to taken a drunken swim at midnight keeping us awake for several hours. Simialrly, the airconditioner was quite noisy but certainly not the worst I have experienced. Travellers should also be aware that the hotel is some distance from Old San Juan. You need to be prepared to walk to a bus stop and catch a bus (Which are not the most reliable) or drive there in a rental car.

Overall, I would describe this hotel as a quite good and that it met our expectations - namely a moderately priced alternative to a chain hotel. If you are wanting / expecting a Hilton / Marriott style experience it may not be for you. However, if you are wanting a more reasonably priced smaller hotel with good service I would recommend the Acacia.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper level may be better.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Europe
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was in San Juan to celebrate the New Year with friends and we wanted to spend about a week in a local B&B. Acacia was very well reviewed on a number of travel sites, including TripAdvisor, so we booked it. I was very, very disappointed!... We paid $150 for a room with full-sized bed, which for San Juan this time of year turned out to be a good price, given that the hotel was generally in a good condition and clean. However, there were a number of problems. First, the hotel was very noisy. There are a bunch of loud generators that are on all day and night long, making it very hard for hotel guests to sleep. Second, our room didn't have any windows, just a glass door, which opened into the pool area. As a result, we couldn't really open the door while we were in the room, and it was either dark and stuffy or we had no privacy. Third, the shower had aerated water-saving shower head, which made it hard to take a good shower. This was so unpleasant after a day at the beach. Forth, the hotel is advertised as beach-front. It is not. It's a block away from the beach. Fifth, the hotel was not in a nice neighborhood and we didn't always feel safe coming back to the hotel at night. In sum, I'd never stay there again and would not recommend it for a stay longer than a day or two.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

As someone who stays 180+ nights in hotels per year, this was one of my worst experiences. Here are a few reasons why (and I'm not saying that this would happen to every guest, but it can happen at this hotel):
1) When we arrived, they said that though they had our reservation, they did not have a room for us. They said they would put us in their sister hotel (Wind Chimes Inn) down the road. Ridiculous.
2) They said they would "upgrade" us in the Wind Chimes Inn and we would just have to pay the same rate as our reservation. They lady at the front desk said the Wind Chimes Inn is a "nicer" hotel. She lied. I've stayed at the Wind Chimes, and it is crappier.
3) When we got to the Wind Chimes, the gentleman at the front desk there admitted that the Wind Chimes was an inferior hotel and that the highest room rate there was $155. SO NOT ONLY DID ACACIA LIE TO ME AND DOWNGRADE ME TO A WORSE HOTEL, THEY ALSO TRIED TO CHARGE ME A HIGHER RATE. WTF!!!!
Listen, stuff happens, and sometimes hotels overbook, but usually they accommodate you to an equal or better hotel and sometimes they even comp you the cost. Acacia was trying to charge me a higher rate for a crappy hotel. Incredible.
4) Finally, after telling them that I knew they had lied to me, and after waiting 3 hours, they finally found me the "best" room. It was a terrible, boxed in room. Reminded me of a dungeon, but with white walls. There is a reason why all the photos shown of the hotel are of the public areas.
5) Mosquitos were all over the room
6) Twice we asked the front desk to call us a taxi so that we can make our flight the next day (and since there would be no one at the front desk at 6:30am), and, of course, they didn't...
Acacia? Never again...

Things I liked:
1) Leaving the hotel
2) Next to the beach (though not the best beach and far from Old San Juan)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Acacia Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!