“Wish I was still at the Acacia...” 5 of 5 stars

Acacia Boutique Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Taft St | Condado, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #17 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Boston, MA
“Wish I was still at the Acacia...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

2 days before hopping on a cruise leaving out of San Juan I stayed at the Acacia Seaside Inn. I had booked a small room for myself, and my travel partner opted for an upper level room with a balcony overlooking the jacuzzi. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty...and like family - at the same time. Michelle was excellent. She gave us a tour of the hotel and set up a rain forest tour through Natural Wonders PR (FANTASTIC!!!!). The rooms are simple, spotless, and the bed was heavenly (I miss the shower too). The craziness of Condado is about a 10 minute walk (I highly recommend Pinky's for breakfast or lunch). The beach is a one minute walk, and it's beautiful. There's a roofdeck for sunning, and the pool at their sister hotel is available for use, and only a block away. Oh, and Niche is EXCELLENT! The service was great, the coconut infused vodka martinis = perfection, and the food (we tried all the appetizers only over 2 nights) was outstanding. The Acacia ROCKS!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

411 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Fishers, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We decided to stay at this boutique hotel the night before our cruise. We prefer locally owned hotels vs the big resorts. If you are looking for a hotel with lots of action, casino, etc. this is not your hotel. If you are looking for a small hotel with a local flavor just steps from the beach - this is a great hotel.

First the bad... There were a total of 8 of us - 4 couples. We had reserved the rooms several months in advance and used 2 credit cards to make the reservations. We were assured we could change the credit cards so each couple could pay for their own room once we checked in. (he person taking the reservation was great! She helped us select the right room and sent us all email confirmations.)

When we check in it was quite the ordeal. The printer was not working so the receptionist had to go to the their sister hotel to switch everything out. It was a really looooong process. In the end my credit card was charged for 3 rooms instead of one. They fixed it all before we checked out but it was a hassle.

Second issue is the parking. Be prepared if you rent a car - there is very little space to park. We had a great driver how nimbly parked our large van we rented so we dealt with it.

The great: The rooms are very nice. We had rooms 302, 304, 202 and 204. All had large balconies and we loved the local decor. You could see the ocean if you looked past the building behind the hotel. The hotel was within a block of the beach which was very convenient for a walk along the beach at night. The best part was the hot-tub! It was huge and just great place to relax.

Overall it was a great stay and we plan to stay here again! We did not eat at the restaurant.

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights (#206-Deluxe Room-King Bed) and it was a great experience. The hotel is very beautiful inside and out and the roof top lounge (4th floor from the inside stairs) is great and very spacious. The room had a balcony of the street and a garage; however, it was not an issue as we had no time to lounge on the balcony. Towels were limited even though we requested extra towels in our reservations (no issues there either). The staff in the hotel were very helpful and added an extra curtain panel on the door for privacy.

We did not get to use the hotel safe as the key was not available; however, our belongings were safe in the room the entire time we were there (which is expected of any hotel).

Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed at the Acacia hotel 3 x nights for some R & R after a business trip there on the island. It really was exactly what I was looking for and really enjoyed my stay, even after being quite scared after reading some of the awful reviews on this site.

The hotel is really nice: small and intimate, quite and relaxing. Marriott / Hilton it is not, which is why I think some of the reviews on this site are poor - if you are looking for a huge international chain-type experience, this is NOT what you are looking for. However, if you are looking for quiet, right-on-the-beach, Carribean rest - then this is the place for you. My room was #304 which was an adequate size overlooking the hot tub with a view of the beach. Unlike previous reviews I had no noise from the hot tub - because the hotel has only 21 rooms it seems that residents are all very respectful and there for the same reason - peace and quiet.

The area is a 5-10 minute walk away from the main strip in Condado, which in my impression is far too touristy & loud, although you are near enough to get there easily if you want to. The beach just outside the hotel is gorgeous - deserted and with clear view waters. Saw dolphins swimming there on my first day!

Niche restaurant is as some of the reviews have stated, majorly overpriced, and way out of the price range of most of the hotels residents, but it was a nice place to get a cocktail after a hard day on the beach.

Ate breakfast at Kalimoli Cafe which is a short walk away from the hotel & would strongly recommend - ask at the front desk and they will direct you. Also ate dinner at Cafe Bebos which is nearby, and gives a good priced authentic Carribean experienced.

Really nice stay!!!

Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Very cozy Hotel located in Ocean Park El Condado nice and safe neighborhood two minutes walking to the beach. Hotel provides chairs and towels for the beach. Not all rooms have fridge and microwave. Plenty of restaurants and stores five minutes walking from the hotel. Hotel is quiet and private. Fantastic weather. We had a great time in Puerto Rico !!

Room Tip: After all the emails I sent, a month prior to our trip, to Booking.com requesting a good room, I did...
Clinton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I loved this place! I like the coziness that boutique hotels offer. It's private and quiet. If you want all the amenities and bustle that the larger hotels offer this is not for you. I read bad reviews and wonder what people expect from boutique hotels. The staff was very friendly. Niche restaurant is available for those who want the whole hotel experience. It is highly rated. I only experienced the ceviche as an appetizer for my room for a late snack and it was superb. Room 206 where I stayed has the jacuzzi right outside for convenience. The front desk is helpful in making any kind of arrangements to get you where you want to go. I used the local bus to get to Viejo San Juan and back which is only $0.75 although there is plenty within walking distance from the hotel. All in all, I would stay there again. Thanks Acacia for a great vacation!

Room Tip: Room 206 - King bed with jacuzzi outside the room
Davenport, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I really enjoyed this hotel...from the friendliness of the front desk ladies to my very adequate room. Understand that it is a boutique hotel that won't blow you away with amenities but what they offer is second to none. Just minutes from the main beach and walking distance to many restaurants and entertainment options this fit my needs very well and wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Acacia Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!