“The basics is good” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“The basics is good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel has a great location in the heart of the Condado district. Rooms are simple but very ample and clean. The view from the ocean side is spectacular. This property lies at water's edge and close to excellent restaurants, beaches, parks, and stores. Take a walk to either side of this hotel and you will find endless atractions in this tourist district. The reservation and check-in process was smooth and efficient. The pool area sits right on the ocean making it very relaxing. The rates are amazingly low for the amenities and specially the location. If you come to San Juan on a budget, this place is adequate.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I just arrived and already want to leave... The rooms are terrible, smelly, outdated, carpets are stained and dirty, in one rooms the phone didn't work, in the other there was a brokern door, the floors are also broken, the smell of humidity is overwhelming... I asked to be moved of room 3 times! There is no washing mashines avaliable for guests. The only good thing in here was the service. There was this one employee who did everything he could to make us feel a bit comfortable. I don't recomend it...

• Stayed November 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

We flew in to San Juan on October 31 for a cruise leaving out November 1. We stayed, overnight, at the San Juan Beach Hotel.

The hotel is older and has a Boutique style charm to it. The rooms were large and clean. It has beach access, and is located in the middle of Ashford so everything is within walking distance. Restaurants are close by. We ate at Waikiki Seafood and Oyster Bar (see review on that there). If you rent a car, the hotel does not have a parking lot. You can pay to park in the lot across the street, or valet at $18-$19 a day. There is a restaurant onsite. While we didn't visit it, it was relatively busy Halloween night.

Towels are stocked at a minimum. Our room was stocked with two large towels, one hand towel and two washclothes. We didn't notice until late and when we went to ask for additional, we were told they didn't have any. The beds are more firm than soft, and the pillows about the same. The room is a little dated, and there were a few stains on the carpet. The room, however, was clean. There was also a mini fridge in our room.

Note: The elevators have a downward sloped entrance. We found that to be a little odd in design and it was a little difficult to maneuver large luggage in and out.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014 via mobile

The shower had mold and broken tiles. There was mildew smell every where. Tiles were broken around pool. Sad that such a lovely location for a low grade hotel. It needs a complete over haul. No towels or soap without asking.

• Stayed November 2014
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

First of all arriving at the airport in san juan right away the people didnt give good customer service. The puerto ricans in the city everywhere me and my wife went were rude and not friendly. the hotel was ok but the food wasnt. my advice is that DONT GO TO PUERTO RICO.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

After I made my reservation one month before and called again the day before arriving, the day of my arrival they told me that they were sold out. I asked to talk to a supervisor and the employee which said his name was Raymond told me that I have to call reservation department on week days which I explained I did it the day before. Also, they told me that they can't reimburse the money after I call reservation department. I keep calling them and still giving me running around yet. Actually, it happened last weekend. Good location but bad/mediocre administration and customer service.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else. Anything will be better than this one.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

This place was a rollercoaster for us. We got married here in October 2014 and most of our guests stayed here as recommended by our horrible wedding planner (that's whole another story).
First the good. Alejandro is awesome! He tried so hard to be accommodating and was super friendly and bi-lingual. Unfortunately he has to deal with a facility that is not in very good shape. The reception hall on the second floor was nice and pretty spacious which is where we partied after the wedding. Plus the price was super cheap. We got a great rate of less than $70 a night! But you do get what you pay for.
Which leads me in to the bad. The place is run down, the ocean side is rusty and beat up, the lobby was not mopped very often. The pool was dirty. The place had rolling power outages (we had 4 over the 4 days we were there). The elevators are HORRIBLE! One of the elevator's fell off into the lobby. Yes, I said the door fell off. My bride's uncle got stuck in the other elevator for 45 minutes. My advice is to take the stairs. THERE IS NO BEACH HERE! We were lied to that we were going to be able to have our ceremony on the beach. The tide comes in so high all day that there is no place to do anything, plus there are huge rocks everywhere. Thankfully there is a public park next door to have our wedding.

If you are on a budget then give them a shot. Their staff is friendly but too many things outweigh their friendliness. I wish we would have visited before letting our planner screw us.

Room Tip: There is only one room with a balcony and it's room 311. It's a big balcony but with a lot...
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to San Juan Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!