“Fantastic Value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

You added Doubletree by Hilton San Juan to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 Ave De Diego | Ocean Park Beach, San Juan 00914, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
South Carolina
“Fantastic Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

I really enjoyed staying at the Doubletree. We were looking for a place to stay in San Juan the night before our early flight. The hotel was clean, modern, and very upscale looking for the price. We got a taxi into Old San Juan to sightsee before returning to use the pool/hot tub area. All I can say is I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there anytime I am back in Puerto Rico.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

when we arrived on Jan 1st we were greeted at the front desk with no surprises and warm cookies. The business center and pool area were great and we used the fitness room and had no problems except it was hot in there and the treadmills had no fans on them. Not a big deal. the rooms were clean and well maintained and as for the glass bathrooms we didn't have any issues with them as some reviews commented on. We stayed one night before and one night after a cruise that ended up being 2 nights cause our flight got cancelled. Being the great facility they are they gave us the same room for the second night for the same price even though we had gotten a great rate by pre-paying. In the end we loved this hotel and would definitely stay again the next time we go to San Juan. Also the store across the street is great for snacks and such also a fridge and microwave are nice in the room. On our last day there we got to watch the rehearsal for some kind of pageant thet was going on by the pool...interesting!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Lindenhurst, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Where do I begin. My boyfriend and I were extremely disappointed in the location of the hotel. The hotel is surrounded by buildings. The ONLY good thing is the hotel is located near a supermarket (you can walk there from the hotel). We arrived to the hotel early - 10:30am (after leaving the port, Royal Caribbean, in San Juan). The drive is about 15-20 minutes. The taxi from the port to the hotel was $15 (the most the taxi will charge) plus an additional $1 for each piece of luggage. Our room was ready when we arrived. We absolutely loved the room. Very modern and newly re -renovated. The only negative thing I have to say about the room is there was a strong smell of paint. The pool is very small. There is a pool for adults and a pool for children. For the size of the hotel there were only 15 - 20 lounge chairs. So my boyfriend and I had the choice to either lay on a towel on the floor or to put two chairs together. The hotel did give us the option to use the pool at another hotel, which the only way you could get there was to take a taxi (which cost money). You could walk there, but it would take about 20 to 30 minutes to get there. To me this is not how you spend a vacation. Unfortunately around 2 pm I received a phone call that my grandfather passed away. My boyfriend and I immediately packed out bags and left the hotel to make our flight for 5 (the drive to the airport was about 10-15 minutes). About 10 days later I had called the hotel because 1) MY CREDIT CARD WAS CHARGED TWICE 2) I felt that the hotel should reimburse me back partial of my money since I only stayed 4 hours. I spoke to someone from the front desk and he told me there was nothing they could do for me. Then I had asked to speak to a manager. At first he told me there was nothing he could do for me. After insisting, he eventually told me the only thing he could do was to charge me for using there facilities which is $75 plus taxes which ended up costing me $94, which I think is absolutely ridiculous. I WILL NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN. Also, the hotel (which they don't tell you until you get there) will charge you credit card an additional $50 for room service or restaurant, but if you don't use either one they will put the $50 back on your credit card (so look for that). I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, January 19, 2011
Saludos Melissae5784,

First and for most of all I would like to express our condolences for your family’s lost and hope that you have found peace during this period. If possible please contact me at yodil.caban@hilton.com to see in which way I can mend this situation that you have mentioned. I must apologize that the front office manager was not able to give you the resolution you expected. After speaking with him he was disheartened that we where not made aware of the situation until receiving your call 10 days after. I would like to have the to opportunity to offset your views of our hotel, if possible please contact me.

Best regards,

Yodil Caban
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Norwalk, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Howdy. Stayed here from 12/31/10 till 01/02/11; a pre-cruise stay.
From initial booking of cruise in Jan. of 2010, i had been looking at places to stay near the cruise port for a couple days prior to embarking. Upon coming across the listing for this hotel and thru the course of the year i was impressed by the positive reviews listed by TripAdvisor members. Also impressed by management response to any queries/comments brought up by reviewers; this to me was showing 'care' for the needs of the traveler. I met the gentleman, Bo Bramsen, behind the responses during my short stay at the hotel. Pleasant guy, answered any queries i had and wanted to ensure that my stay there was a good one. It was.
Upon arrival at hotel, was met by Antonio whom took our bags and provided my party of 8 with a warm chocolate chip cookie for each, very nice. Likable chap, he provided answers to any questions about local area for eating, sightseeing, other interests. A 24 hour grocery store across the street from hotel came in handy too.
Hotel accommodations for myself were very fine, i was 1 in a room. The other 2 rooms in our reservation held 3 and 4 people respectively. Seemed a little cramped in their rooms but the lodging served its purpose for our brief stay.
Was an outdoor pool area that was adequate for sunbathing and general lounging around. The upstairs deck could have used a few more chaise loungers at times.
Overall i was very pleased with our stay there. I usually stay in places alot cheaper but the others didnt want a HoJos or Motel 6; the value for price paid was worth the extra dollars it cost me.
Should San Juan ever be in future travel plans, i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree for one night pre-cruise on Dec 23.

This hotel fully deserves its high ranking on TA. It is a well-maintained property, with modern, stylish rooms containing all conveniences, including a small frigerator, comfortable bed, pretty bathroom, great TV, black-out blinds, and individual reading lights. I am a light sleeper and noise was not an issue.

The grounds and pool area were well laid-out and attractive. There is a grocery store just across the street.

Best of all, the service was excellent - genuinely warm and helpful. We arrived at 11 pm, and Peter on reception greeted us in as upbeat and welcoming manner as if it had been 11 in the morning - even offered us warm cookies and as many packets of coffee as we would like. For a quick stay, where location is not particularly important (ie, not near a beach or in Old San Juan) I would highly recommend the Doubletree, and would return to it in a heartbeat.

Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

Myself, my husband, and 14 year old daughter disembarked off cruise - many of the passengers attempting to check in early here. Staff kept their cool, stored everyone's luggage, gave a precise time to come back, let people hang out if they wanted. Loved the warm cookies at check in. The pool area, the pool itself, the whirlpool were fun and clean. It's a bit more than I'm used to spending, but I can see why. A lot of nice touches at this hotel, the murphy (wall) bed was very comfy and convenient to have folded away until required. Modern decor. Micheals Bistro had a great menu, very nice place to dine that evening (small, so make reservation). The breakfast was pretty good too in the morning. Convenient having a cab stand right at hand. Close to the airport ($17 US).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, January 8, 2011
Hola FamilyTravelALot,
I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the pool area to be fun. We do our best to accommodate our guests that arrive early. When rooms are not always available early we do offer the convenience of holding the luggage until the room is ready, and our guest can use the pool and other facilities while waiting. We also provide a changing room for our guests to change.
Although not on the beach we are only a few minutes walk from the beautiful Ocean Park beach. Furthermore, our guests have the opportunity of using our Beach Club, which gives access to our beach front sister properties in Condado and Isla Verde to use their facilities.
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any assistance in the future.
Always at your service,

Bo Bramsen
Operations Manager
bo.bramsen@hilton.com
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

I knew that the Doubletree was going to be a great time when Peter, at the front desk, offered us a chocolate chip walnut cookie upon arrival. I would have to say that the Doubletree has some of the best hospitality that I have ever received at a hotel. From Margarita, who was very helpful when we thought we would be stranded in NY and not make it to PR because of the weather to the valets Robert and Freddy who knew where all the hot spots were, everyone was a delight. Make sure you check out the Tropical Splash drink at the bar downstairs. Ask for George. As you can tell, we really got to know the people that worked there. Everyone was really friendly. We stayed 6 nights and I would definitely stay here again. The rooms were clean and well-apportioned. The location was perfect for catching the bus around San Juan and within walking distance of the bustling Ashford Avenue. Be sure to check out the Supermax supermarket across the street. It offers a good value lunch menu.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Doubletree by Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!