“Best and Friendliest Hotel I've stayed in in years” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 46 hotels in San Juan
MD
“Best and Friendliest Hotel I've stayed in in years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

This was a treasure. Staff was wonderful. Room clean and spacious. Great pool. Kept our luggage after check-out while we toured Old San Juan. We we returned, they took us to a spa where we could shower and change into our travel clothes. Could'nt ask for more.

1,465 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

Great place to stay in San Juan. 3 blocks from the beach, grocery store across the street, 3 blocks from the main highway. Try the fresh sqeezed orange juice.

Kimberly, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree San Juan prior to leaving on our cruise. We arrived fairly late in the day. The room was very modern and had a view looking over the city. We walked to the ocean the next morning which was a good walk, maybe about 10 blocks. A grocery store across the street provided last minute purchases for our cruise.

The hotel lobby was impessive and the pool area was clean. We were disappointed in the friendliness of the staff. At checkin, the clerk was strictly business with no smile or friendly greeting. He offered no information other than handing us our keys. The next day, the young man at the gift shop where we ordered lattes also was unfriendly. No worries though, we were on vacation and all was good! Just assumed it was the Puerto Rican way. Despite the unfriendliness, we loved the hotel and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, October 23, 2010
Dear imamood,

I am happy to see that you enjoyed the hotel for your pre-cruise stay. However, I am disappointed to find out that you did not receive the friendly and courteous treatment that characterizes our staff, and I am sorry that the check-in clerk did not give you any information on the surrounding areas or guest amenities, which include complimentary WiFi throughout the property as well as access to our Beach Club, which allows our guests access to the facilities to our beach front sister hotels.

I do thank you for your comments so we can improve in these areas.Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of service in the future.

Always at your service,

Bo Bramsen
Operations Manager
bo.bramsen@hilton.com
StangGT909
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon (7 day cruise Caribbean cruise, staying over 1 night in San Juan at the Doubletree).

I spent many many days researching reviews on Trip Adviser. We were looking for a hotel in San Juan (preferably Hilton chain) but saw many negative reviews about the Caribe, Conrad, and Waldorf. After going with the Doubletree we could not be more pleased.

We got off the Royal Caribbean boat and were lucky to find another couple going to the Doubletree. It was a $22 ride but we split it so it only cost us $11.

When we arrived the staff was amazing. We were really exhausted from the cruise and the heat and it was really nice to have them bring our suitcases to the desk and then to our room. The warm cookies were also a nice touch.

The lobby and room have a really modern and trendy feel. They had a lounge with a huge flat screen TV, restaurant, and bar. The room itself was shockingly clean and also modern. The high speed internet was free and extremely fast. The bathroom had nice glass tile on the shower wall and a trendy vessel sink. Overall we were shocked at how nice it was and the minute we got the room we felt we made a great decision.

The location isn't amazing, but it was about a 5 minute walk to a Starbucks, fudruckers, and pizzeria uno. It is moderately close to the airport compared to some of the other hotels.

We took a taxi to Old San Juan and I think it ran us $15 each way. I think the taxi to the airport the next day was also about $15.

It's probably one of my favorite hotels I've stayed at and that says a lot after struggling to decide on what one to book in San Juan.

I hope this review helps!

Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I live in Mayaguez and once in a while stay in the local hotels in San Juan. I recently stayed at the Doubletree for the first time since it was recommended by a friend. Nice hotel, clean rooms, friendly staff, free wifi, four very nice restaurants. Special thanks to the maid on the 8th floor "can't remember her name but I stayed in room 806". Thanks also to everyone at the front desk especially Peter, Yamira and Diane for their courtesy and professionalism. Definitely, a pleasant stay!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
Dear SunnyBoy50,

I wanted to thank you for your review and for highlighting the team members that helped make your stay a pleasant one. I will make sure to personally congratulate and thank them for constantly delivering quality service. For your next visit please make sure to ask about our beach club passes. This is where our guests get to completely enjoy all the facilities of our bech front sister hotels. Should i be of service to you in any way please do not hesitate to contact me at bo.bramsen@hilton.com.

Always at your service,

Bo Bramsen
Operations Manager
bo.bramsen@hilton.com
Mount Prospect, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

First of all, I need to clarify that this trip occurred back in July 2009. Sadly, I kept putting off the review. However, I am writing the review over one year after the fact since it was such an enjoyable experience. I loved that we were able to travel out of the country, and visit Puerto Rico and not deal with the headaches of international travel; we had less than five days for the trip. We did not have to worry about a passport or currency issues. Booked our stay in San Juan through an on-line vendor, and convinced to check out this place after reviewing all sorts of websites (including Trip Advisor).

The folks there made the trip extra special. The GM (J.C.) put us into one of a handful suites on the first level (pool level). I ran into an issue with the on-line promotion that I got for breakfast. Surprisingly, J.C. provided us breakfast for free at their hotel bistro "Under the Trees" Amazing breakfast! I thought how well can a hotel make breakfast. Ordered the waffles twice - that good.

Overall, the hotel was super clean, and the employees were quite gracious. It was hot and humid outside (expected in July), but cool and comfortable inside our room. We were not exactly a hop away (rather, a long hop and a few steps away) from the beach. Rough waters, but soft sand. Plenty of sun. Hopped into the pool area once - literally a few steps away from patio. It was nice having a cup of coffee in our private poolside patio.

This hotel provided us a nice jumping off point. We could walk across the street to buy groceries. It was kinda of neat to see the local produce. Walgreens was not too far either. Other local dining options in the area to visit by taxi or even walking. Our last night - wanted a nice, relaxing place to go - Alquimia (Double Tree). Island Shrimp was delicious.

Okay, enough on the food. We walked for souvenirs (obvious tourists) and dropped by the El Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico (MAPR) - check out the outdoor garden! El Morro and San Cristóbal are only a bus drive away. We made a day of it in downtown San Juan.

Lastly, we had our comfy beds and well decorated room to spend our evenings. I just wish we could have taken some of those warm Double Tree cookies home!

Of course, no two people have the same experience. Nevertheless, I would strongly recommend this hotel. We've experienced the resort gig (in Costa Rica), which is very nice, but the Double Tree in San Juan offered us a wonderful home base for our 4 day stay. If we had more time, we would have loved to make some longer trips.

Sorry for the late review, but I guess better late than never.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

We stayed for a 3 day weekend at this hotel. It has easy freeway access, easy Condado access, and is directly across the street from a nice 24 hour grocery which also has a small cafeteria. The hotel also offers self or valet parking, but that was a bit steep in price, so we opted for street parking which is not abundant, but available given the close proximity to many residential homes. We had a queen sized bed, and the kids (ages 6&9) had a queen size murphy bed which was pulled down every evening. They really like that part!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Doubletree by Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!