“Wonderful hotel and staff made my trip to San Juan a memorable one” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

You added Doubletree by Hilton San Juan to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 Ave De Diego | Ocean Park Beach, San Juan 00914, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Wonderful hotel and staff made my trip to San Juan a memorable one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

This my first review on Trip Advisor and its a positive one! I originally had planned on booking a two night stay at the Conrad San Juan Condado prior to a Southern Caribbean cruise on Carnival Victory back in December, but after reading the reviews on here about the Doubletree San Juan, I decided to stay there. I am also a Hilton Honors member and preferred to stay at Hilton hotels, so it fit perfectly. I corresponded with Yodil Caban, the hotel manager prior to my arrival and he made sure my stay was a nice one before I even arrived! Friday December 11th, I arrived to the hotel by taxi and was welcomed by bellhop Ezekiel (some name like that) who helped take my luggage to the front desk. At the front desk I was warmly welcomed by Juan who quickly pulled up my booking information and gave me my room key. To my surprise, he told me that Yodil was expecting my arrival and upgraded my room to the 6th floor with a view towards the ocean!

The room was nicely furnished with nice decor, bed, and flat screen TV. I had originally booked a room with Murphy bed, but this room did not have one. I had a friend who arrived the next day and Juan made sure to get an air mattress put in the room upon his arrival. The Saturday evening I went to pick up my friend, utilizing the convenience of the bus stop outside to go to the airport (more about that in the another section). When we came back to the hotel and went to our room and the extra bed was ready along with two complimentary bottled water and cookies!

Even though I did not get to meet Yodil, I did meet operations manager Jose Cepero who asked us how was our stay so far and if anything else he can make it better. I told him everything was perfect. He then advised us that people will be washing the windows in the early morning on Sunday and that it maybe noisy. However, we slept in and the window cleaning on the outside didn't bother us.

Convenience wise this hotel is next to a 24hr Super Max supermarket, which came in handy as we bought stuff for our cruise. There is business center and two laptops in the lobby for guests to use. The beach is a 15 minute walk from the hotel. Also, along the street is a bus stop which I utilized a lot during my stay at the Doubletree hotel. I hate riding taxis and like riding mass transit in cities I visit because its a way for me to explore as well as interact with the locals. I took the B-21 bus to the Tren Urbano Sargrado Corazon station and then transferred to the B-22 bus to goto Plaza Las Americas (the largest mall in the Caribbean). I went to the airport to pick up my friend, rode the bus in front of the hotel to the Tren Urbano and rode that to the Pinero station and then took the bus to the airport. You can also take A-5 bus to old San Juan, which is what my friend and I did on Sunday prior to our cruise. Sunday we checked out and the hotel held our luggage while we when sightseeing at places like El Morro, Old San Juan, and the Bacardi tour. Also, the staff told us about Bebos Cafe which was just a short walk from the hotel, a nice local place to eat! Went there twice to eat during the stay!

I just wished my stay at the Doubletree San Juan was longer. Nonetheless, when I visit San Juan again I'll be staying at this hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this small to medium size Condado area hotel from November 23-27, 2009 (prior to taking a 10 day Celebrity cruise). The staff, who are totally fluent in English, were both informative and helpful. The hotel has been recently renovated; size wise, the rooms are compact but more than adequate for a couple, they are quiet and clean and have a coffee/tea maker; there is an outside pool and exercise area and it has free internet access for guests. We did not patronize the hotel restaurants or bar but chose instead to go to local restaurants that are popular with locals (Bebos is a within 2 blocks, La Patisserie de France about 3 blocks away) and there is a large grocery store (with deli, pharmacy and liquor outlet) immediately across the street from the hotel. It's very easy (and cheap - US$ 0.75) to catch a bus to Old San Juan (takes about 30 mins) or else a cab will cost US $15.00. Costs about $18.00 to take a taxi to the airport and US$12.00 to $15.00 to the cruise terminal (depending on the departure pier). All taxi rates are set but always check the rate before taking a cab.Old San Juan is a great place for meandering/site seeing - we had an excellent evening meal at Cafe Berlin, Old San Juan - comes highly recommended, reasonable prices and reservations are recommended. The hotel is just a few short blocks from the sandy Condado beach, gentle surf, with rock croppings and you can walk for miles - a nice community park at the beach about 6 blocks from the hotel. There is also a great museum in very close walking proximity. Staff will provide maps and give directions to all these sites. We felt quite safe walking in the area during the day and early evening. We took the Rain Forest (and yes it poured rain while we did our walk) and Beach (great beach - warm water and great sand - could walk for miles and the sun shone!!) tour which was arranged through the hotel - cost US$ 75.00 per person. Interesting, scenic and informative tour done by a local guide but we did not enjoy the food at the eatery stop and felt a bit insecure in the van ibecause not all of the seat belts were working. We would certainly return to this hotel and recommend it to individuals who are happy with clean rooms at reasonable prices and who enjoy walking and exploring.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
cocoa beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

This is by far the nicest and least expensive hotel in the Cantado area. It is two very short blocks to the beach and the neighborhood is very safe. Our room was spotless and modern, with a design that made great use of the space. You get a microwave, fridge and safe along with great Neutrogena bath products. The place is so modern and beautiful with a fabulous pool. Be sure and ask for Miguel Isaac, an assistant manager. He is so helpful and knows the area well. We left some items there and he helped get them back, a great person and a great hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

This is a great place to stay -- they greet you with a yummy cookie, staff are professional and helpful, great facilities (gym, pool, internet, printers,... etc).

But their charges for 'parking' for customers are excessively high (around $15-$20 per day). When I questioned them about their high parking rates, they indirectly encouraged me (with a wink-wink) to park in the neighborhood streets for free and that is what I did (I thank their staff for their wink-wink suggestion, it saved me a lot of $$ during my five day stay).

I would give them a five star rating if they would lower their parking rates -- I would suggest that they lower their parking rates to a more reasonable amount -- say $3-5 per day -- for customers who have booked hotel rooms.

Thanks.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
zoe17
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

My mother and I spent a night at the Doubletree before a Caribbean cruise. Staff was very helpful, and it was convenient to get a taxi from the hotel to see sights in San Juan. Rooms were very clean, convenient and well-appointed, with decor that looked very new. The hotel's breakfast and dinner were convenient and not too pricey. It's about a 3 block walk to a pretty beach, but the beaches were not my priority on this trip. The hotel also provides free internet.

Staff was very knowledgeable about getting around San Juan, and about the Caribbean cruises. We got better information from them about when to board our Celebrity cruise than we did from Celebrity! And I'm very thankful we took their advice!

And the Doubletree folks at the 800 number were kind enough not to charge us for our intended first night of the stay when we were stranded in Atlanta due to weather issues instead of being in lovely San Juan.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

I was in San Juan for a conference and lucked upon this fabulous hotel when the conference sponsored hotels were full. As soon as I arrived at the hotel I was invited to the manager's cocktail hour(s) where I met many locals and fellow guests who had wonderful recommendations for restaurants, salsa dancing, secluded beaches, etc. The manager was incredibly informative and accommodating and practically planned out the rest of my trip for me. The rest of the staff followed the manager's lead by knowing both my name and my room number each time I passed by the desk (ok so I lost my key a few times.) Between the modern decor, the great location, the wonderful amenities, and the charming staff, I have no doubt that I will return to this hotel the next time I am in San Juan.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

We had a fabulous room, were treated WONDERFULLY by the staff, and loved the pool / hot tub area. The food at the restaurant was FANTASTIC, and the bartenders were super helpful suggesting fun places to go in the evenings. Can't wait to visit San Juan again, and will DEFINITELY stay here!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Doubletree by Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!