“Pleasant Stay although Away from Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 46 hotels in San Juan
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
“Pleasant Stay although Away from Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

If you are looking for a beach resort property, this falls short. It is not on the beach (which is about a 15 minute walk away), although they provide usage privileges at two beach hotels. The views of the internal courtyard are not spectacular. That said, what this hotel does offer is a less touristy, more authentic Puerto Rico experience-- because you are more in the city, you feel more connected with the locals. For example, there is a Supermax grocery store across the street which not only gives you the option of great savings on food purchases vs restaurants, but you get a feel for life in San Juan. The staff at the Doubletree is also very friendly and helpful. Minor quibbles-- the rooms are on the small side, and the sliding glass bathroom door gives limited privacy. Overall, however, I have no hesitancy in recommending this hotel, provided you are not wanting a right-on-the beach experience.

Room Tip: A garden room facing the courtyard provides a nice view.

1,468 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I booked this hotel based on tripadvisor reviews. The location was perfect. Staff was helpful and friendly, especially Antonio who treated us like old friends, and Diane at the front desk, who recommended a nearby restaurant for lunch and called to let us know our room was ready. Our room was spotless. The spa like bathroom was attractive and furnished with oversized towels and lemon-scented bath products. The room had a lovely patio that stepped down to a patio and then the pool deck with lush palms and other tropical plants. The breakfast buffet had a variety of delicious hot and cold items with fresh fruits and juices. Restaurant staff greeted us with smiles and accommodated every request. We had dinner and drinks at the same restaurant and received the same treatment. Antonio provided us with information on local tours and made arrangements for us. We will definitely stay at this DoubleTree if we have a chance to come back to San Juan!
The grocery store across the street is convenient for forgotten items, water and snacks.

Room Tip: Room 2005 has a lovely patio that overlooks the pool.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Saludos Patd902,

It was great read to read your review and see that Antonio, once again was able to demonstrate our guest centric culture. He is always so thrilled to read these reviews and we are all very lucky to have him as part of our team. As well was Diane was very thrilled!! Thank you!!! and if we can be of asstiance to you in any way please do not hesitate to contact us directly at reservations@sjdoubletree.com or by phone at our toll free 1-877-926-3030.

Always at your service,

Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

My name is Carlos and I live in Greenville, SC. I had to to go Puerto Rico on some personal business.

First, I would like to note that I am a Hilton Honors Diamond Rewards member. I travel a fair bit and have collected up a lot of points....so I got to use them on this trip. It saved me a lot of money.

Why did I select this hotel initially? Well, I was reading hotel reviews and noted that the manager for this hotel actually replied to some minor complaints online that people posted. The replies told me this was the hotel for me! The replies were sincere and straight forward. So I emailed the manager to thank him for posting the replies. So I made my reservation without hesitation. Three weeks later I arrived to the hotel with my sister. On the day we arrived I received an email from the hotel manager wanting to know if we arrived OK and if everything was to our satisfaction!!!! WOW! I was blown away! Three weeks passed and he still remembered me !

Ok, now to the hotel details.

Breakfast- fresh! The OJ is delicious, eggs to order OR buffet style bar. Coffee was pretty good. And, if you needed Starbucks...its right next to the hotel!! Waitresses are very polite and courteous!! I don't think anybody had to wait for a table to sit and have breakfast! If you need more coffee before you leave....they have it right next to the front entrance!! Free!

Main lobby - I am not a smoker, but they have a very comfortable smoking lounge right in front of the hotel. Plush to say the least! The front desk seems to have fresh chocolate chip cookies 24/7! Ummm, TWO cookie warmer ovens behind the desk!! I've NEVER seen that ANYWHERE!!!

Pool/jacuzzi/kiddie pool - plenty of towels available at the pool. The pool deck had plenty of space for getting some sun or even sitting in the shade! Chairs, tables, etc. Now, if you are bringing your wife/girlfriend I highly recommend you visit the pool/jacuzzi at night.....not only is it a very romantic spot, but the local frogs (El Coqui) will make for an very pleasant rainforest effect on the pool deck! (These frogs are unique to Puerto Rico and sound amazing!)

The room - Albeit i had my sister with me, we were happy with the room. The small refrigerator was great for leftovers from dinner. Speak of dinner, Basilia's restaurant is around the corner and they have fantastic local dishes!!! I swear as soon as you walk into the restaurant your mouth will water!!! Very delicious and walking distance from the front entrance.

Location - This hotel in between Old San Juan and the airport. So, if you wanna drive to Old San Juan....it is less than 15 min away. If you wanna go anywhere else on the island, Route 26 is practically right next to the hotel! So you can easily zip out of there and be on your way to anywhere. Now, if your like me and like to run....Ashmore Ave is walking distance away and an excellent street to run on. I ran everyday down to Condado Beach (just under 2 miles). A lot of other people ran on the same road.

Hotel cleanliness was never an issue.

I did use the gym one day. It's not bad and all of the equipment seemed to be in good working order.

Room Tip: When in doubt about ANYTHING ask politely. I always had the impression the hotel staff were willing...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

My sister and I were in PR for our aunt's funeral. Stayed at DoubleTree by our cousin's recommendation. This hotel is great. Service from the moment you walk in until you leave - fantastic. Room was clean, no smells, roomy with safe, refrigerator, coffee maker, great shower. Would return again and refer to others. Really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Ok, first of all! There free cookie is AMAZING! Lol

Me and my wife stayed here for our honeymoon, and it was reeeeeally nice! They have a pretty nice pool area with a hot tub too!
Fitness center!
Washer and dryer! Very convenient..
Resteraunts inside is pretty good! A little pricey, but hey, it's a vacation!
I really don't have any complaints, it was in a very convenient area!

Parking is $15 a night! So be prepared for that... Their employees and staff are a really good team, and are pretty good!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Saludos godseyaaron1993,

Thank you so much for your kind words and review. In an effort to showcase our hotel and surrounding area we have just redesigned our web site ( sanjuandoubletree.com). Should we be of service to you in any way please contact us directly at reservations@sjdoubletree.com

Always at your service,
Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Hallettsville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

It was very enjoyable and relaxing. The staff were very attentive and friendly. This used to be The Hotel Pierre and we were disappointed that it was no longer the same hotel but once we stayed there, it was very nice and we weren't disappointed any more. It is centrally located..Close to the airport and right across the street from a nice big super market. We would definitely stay here again. The cookies were ace.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

stayed here for three nights post cruise in January 2014. The rooms are great, not massive but comfortable and the shower is great. Breakfast is overpriced, but walk 500 meters to Basilias and get great value delicious local food from 07 - 2300. Beach is near by and so are plenty of bars.

The concierge is very knowledgeable and helpful and has the best deals on trips, we paid $60 for a rain forest day out, others from different hotels had paid up to $90. Pool area is ok but loses the sunshine to shadow early in the day.

Room Tip: get one at the front, there isn't a pretty view from any but the back is the worst
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Doubletree by Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!