“would stay again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton San Juan to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   105 Ave De Diego | Ocean Park Beach, San Juan 00914, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
Save Up to 20%
Ranked #4 of 47 hotels in San Juan
NSW
“would stay again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

was booked here for 2 nights before a cruise leaving from san juan.

arrived late off my flight, about 11pm, check in was quick which i was grateful for after a long flight.

pros:
*free internet in business centre
*not far from airport or old san juan (quick taxi ride)
*large room, comfy bed
*very clean
*received a birthday cake!! altho as i was travelling by myself i could only manage one slice! nice, thoughtful touch.
*large bathroom
*friendly helpful desk staff.
*plenty of taxis on call

cons
*my room didnt have a balcony. had a large window overlooking pool, nice view still, but i prefer a balcony when i can. i think i had the cheapest room tho. still good value for money
*the little taxes that keep getting added on (altho this seems to be a puerto rico wide thing, so cant blame the hotel)

really enjoyed my stay here, good value for money, and would stay again if i return to puerto rico. if management is reading..... thank you :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
DoubletreeSanJuan, Operations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Hola iloveholidays82,
Thank you for your kind review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to celebrate your birthdays for many more years to come. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of assistance with your future reservations.

1,488 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Great hotel, comfortable rooms, friendly staff, wonderful location. This hotel is convenient to the airport, beach, and Old San Juan. The beach is a few blocks, but we loved the tranquil pool area. The rooms are comfortable, clean, quiet, with refrigerator and microwave. (Also a safe if you have valuables.) There is a great restaurant steps from the hotel, Under the Trees. Fresh fare, with local and standard offerings. We ate there twice we loved it so much. Try the churrasco - so tender, so much flavor. Do try some of the fresh, ripe avocado - scrumptious! There is a 24 hour supermarket across the street, and also a 'locals only' type of diner around the corner and 1 block. We also ate at "Jam" restaurant in the Condado area - another highlight to the week. It is a mere 10 minutes to Old San Juan. Go on a weekday and avoid the cruise ship crowds. The hotel has a restaurant with bar, we mostly ate breakfast only. I did try the rice and beans and tostones - very well prepared. If you have a rental car, the hotel does have valet parking. There is no street parking.

If you are looking for the typical tourist hotel with beach, this property will not be for you. If you are looking for a lovely hotel whether you are on business or for a relaxing time away from the crowds, this is definitely the perfect choice. So perfect, we cancelled our stay at the Conrad Hilton to add more time here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
DoubletreeSanJuan, Operations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Hola Traveler 216_fl,
Thank you for you kind review. I was excited to read that you love our hotel! We loved having you as a guest and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any further assistance.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Hotel is nice. Is clean and they gave you a delicious and warm chocolate chunk cookie when check in.
The good... is perfectly located, a supermarket is across the street, near bus stop and near bars and restaurants.
The bad...maybe the pool is small, does not have many entertainment features inside; like casino, bar or a cafe.
However if you are looking for a place with good access to airport, near San Juan; but not to close; quiet in the night with friendly staff...I think this place is a good option for you!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I recently returned from four nights in San Juan. We really loved our stay at the Doubletree. The staff were all extremely welcoming, helpful, and accomodating.

We really liked the location. It was a few blocks from Ashford Ave where there were many restarants to choose from for lunch and dinner. The hotel breakfast was lovely (although we think it should be included in the 18% resort fee) and there are three other restaurant choices right on the Hilton complex- we ate at Under the Trees. Plus there is a daily happy hour which was great!

We enjoyed the 15-20 min walk over to the sister property, la Concha, which is right on the beach and very lovely. They also were very accomodating with towels and beach chairs/umbrellas and you only need a letter from the Doubletree.

Bo, was very helpful in setting up and following up on a rental car, which we used for a day trip to the rainforest (a must do!).

The hotel is immaculate and the garden/pool area was a lovely place for breakfast and afternoon swims.

The hotel is directly across from a supermarket, which was perfect for picking up breakfast items, snacks, and beer/liquor to keep in the room's fridge.

We had a wonderful stay and would return!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hola RebCel1982,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. I was happy to assist you with your rental car so you could spend the day in beautiful El Yunque Rainforest. And you are correct, it is a must do! I was happy to read that you had a wonderful stay and that you will be back. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of assistance with your future reservations.

Dalton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel is perfect if your looking for a reasonably priced hotel in San Juan for a couple nights. The hotel building seems relatively new and the rooms are in good shape, modern decor and comfortable beds. The pool and area surrounding it is on the small side and with the buildings surrounding it, you'll probably need to move around to stay in/out of the sun as the day goes on. You can walk a couple blocks to the public beach, as well as numerous restaurants. We ate at Silk the first night which had good sushi and some higher end chinese food. The cafe under the trees was also good, but isn't actually part of the hotel and so you can't charge to your room. Breakfast buffet was just ok but on the second day I found out there was a menu you could order from, this is a much better option! Staff was friendly and helpful.

Florida City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I went to Puerto Rico for business/vacations. After he finished what he was there for, we stayed 2 more days at the Doubletree, San Juan. The service was excellent! The employees were very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable. I liked the decoration of the facilities. The food at Café Pierre was delicious! The beach was just minutes away by foot from the hotel. There is a 24 hour supermarket across the street from the hotel witch was great because my razor broke. We went to Old San Juan (minutes away from the hotel) and the view was beautiful. You could see the cruise ships at the pier and walk through the “Paseo la Princesa”. At night there is a lot to do at Old San Juan an Condado area. There are many good restaurants and entertainment. We had an amazing time and we’re thinking of coming back because the overall experience was great!

Hola MichelleD2013,
I was happy to see that you and your husband stayed a few more days after his business engagement ended, and that you had time to explore the beaches and San Juan. It was encouraging to see that you received excellent service from our staff and that you had an amazing stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com so I can assist you with your future reservations.

Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I recently returned from a trip to San Juan where I stayed at the Doubletree Hotel. After reading the reviews on tripadvisor.com, I was expecting top notch customer service. I guess my expectations were too high because the customer service was only average.

Check In Process – I waited a few minutes before someone helped me and even recognized that I was standing there. Michael handled the check-in process. Again there was nothing special about the customer service I received from him. He didn’t smile once. In my opinion, customer service comes with a smile. Anyway, check in process was standard as in any Hilton hotel (i.e. show credit card, ID). I knew of the resort fee from reading the tripadvisor.com reviews and wondered if Michael would mention the fee. Michael did NOT mention the fee, which tells me that Doubletree purposely not disclose the fee during the check-in process. Now, the hotel tax of 18% is disclosed during the check in process. Why not disclosed the resort fee? Please note that this hotel is not a resort. I guess Doubletree’s justification for the $27 fee is free internet & access to LaConcha pool area. If you’re going to charge a resort fee, at least be a resort. Anyway, after Michael gave me my hotel keys, he stated that I “Enjoy my stay”. So I’m thinking “Where are my cookies?” So I asked Michael “Is there anything else?” He said that’s it. By then, my boyfriend was with me at the counter. I turned to him and said “I guess we don’t qualify for the free cookies.” My boyfriend and I had gotten on the elevator and Michael was at the elevator door with the cookies. In my opinion, customer service is consistent service.

Our Room – The room was spacious. It had a refrigerator, microwave, and safe. The room had contemporary décor. I like the room décor but the bathroom shower was a bit too much. The shower sat high where you had to step up and down to get in/out. I couldn’t imagine my mother doing that. She would probably injury herself. During the second night stay, I attempted to take a HOT shower before going out. Guess what? I could only get a warm shower. I called the front desk and asked if something can be done. The front desk sent a maintenance guy to the room and that didn’t help. If you’re going to charge an additional $27 for a resort fee, I expect to take a hot shower when I want to. The internet worked great. We were able to connect our phones and Ipads without exception. Side note: I must add that I slept like a baby every night. Great Beds!!!

Breakfast – As a Hilton Gold Member, I was given free breakfast vouchers. The breakfast was good. Would I have paid $16 person for this buffet? No. My boyfriend enjoyed the omelet station; so if you’re an omelet person then you may enjoy the breakfast. The buffet had French toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage links, fruit, cereal, bagel, pastries, etc. If the breakfast was not free, I would have purchased some fruit from the grocery store across the street. Now the associate in the breakfast area were pleasant and sweet.

Pool area – The pool was adequate. My boyfriend and I sat in the whirl pool for about 30 minutes. I noticed the gym in the area but it was closed due to renovations. During the check in process, Michael did mention that they have an agreement with a gym nearby. I like working out in the mornings; so leaving the property to workout was just too much.

Location – We enjoyed the location of this hotel. The beach is 4 blocks up and 2 blocks over. We walked to the Condado area and only took cabs to the airport and to Old San Juan at night. I recommend taking the bus (Route 21) to Old San Juan during the day. It’s only 0.75 per person each way. We enjoyed walking to the Condado area (on Ashford Avenue) because were able to see everything and eat at the many restaurants.

I have stayed in many Hilton hotels and have stayed AWAY from Doubletree hotels. Unfortunately the two other Hilton properties in San Juan either received inconsistent reviews or were far away from Condado area. After a couple stays in Doubletree hotels I realized a long time ago that there’s nothing that differentiate it from any other basic hotel. After staying at this Doubletree, my opinions of the Doubletree hotels remain the same.

I would not stay here again or recommend it any family or friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Saludos MsTab,
F
irst of all, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We do recognize that it is our obligation to constantly deliver the same top notch guest service, as you had read from our hotel reviews. With your review we will follow up with our trainings to ensure that we do so, and re-emphasis that all of our guests must be received with our warm chocolate chip cookie.
I can assure you that we would never purposely, not disclose or intentionally miss lead our guests. We have ensured that our websites and booking channels display the correct information and that all charges are disclosed properly.
Unlike many destinations where hotels nickel and dime their guests by charging them for bottled water, internet/Wi-Fi, computer usage, movies, copies, fitness club usage, special amenities and many other services, all hotels in San Juan basically charge a hotel charge/resort fee and include these items. In our case we include all of the above and have added services like beach coolers, so our guest can enjoy the day at the beach. We provide the ice and our guest can take their in room bottled water or stock up at the gift shop and/or the supermarket across the street. As you have mentioned, we have established a great relationship with the La Concha Beach Resort and the CY-Isla Verde Beach Resort where our guests enjoy full access to their beach and pool facilities. If our guests would like to stay in during the day or night, we provide a healthy stock of blue ray/DVD movies. We will even provide pop-corn to be prepared at the in room microwave. We believe that these amenities enhance our guest experience without having to pull out the credit card for every additional request.
If possible please contact me directly at yodil.caban@hilton.com, as I would like to offset your feelings and hope to convince you to give us the opportunity to truly wow you on your next visit to Puerto Rico.

Yodil Caban
yodil.caban@hilton.com

Been to Doubletree by Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!