“Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

Save Saved
You added Doubletree by Hilton San Juan to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 Ave De Diego | Ocean Park Beach, San Juan 00914, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
Free Night Fall!
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
USA
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Picked this hotel based on Trip Advisor ratings. I had done my research and knew that it was not on the beach. We did use their service to spend a day on the beach at the La Concha Resort. The room was comfortable and the staff friendly. We did not eat at the hotel as there are many good places within a walking distance. The big super market across the road is great. You will not have any views to drool over but will have a very satisfying stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Hola peeam,
Thank you for your kind review. I was glad to see you had a change to explore some the neighboring areas many restaurants and that you were also able to take advantage of our Beach Club with access to our beach front sister properties. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any future assistance.

bo.bramsen@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have been living at the Doubletree San Juan since September and can tell you this hotel is awesome. The hotel and rooms are very clean and comfortable, the staff is very friendly and cannot do enough for you. Bolivar at the bar and Tatina, Felix and Bo manage the facility. Good pool, jacuzzi, fitness center and laundry. After being here for three months when I went home for Thanksgiving I missed the staff who are now all my friends. It is about a 10 minute walk to the beach but we all need a little walk now don't we? I would recommend this hotel to everyone. It is a great value

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are great for longer stay's
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hola 451RichardJ,
Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree for your extended stay in Puerto Rico. It has been our pleasure to have you as a guest during this time. Please feel free to let us know if there is anything we can do to make the remainder of your stay more comfortable.

bo.bramsen@hilton.com
Abilene, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Before you get to the negatives, I want to be clear that this hotel is well worth staying at. Great combination of price-point and quality. We will stay here again.

We came in the day before our cruise, got in early, had the evening and the next morning. It's a very well run, great looking, safe-bet hotel with only a few minor service flaws which kept it from getting "excellent" in my book. Damaris provided absolutely excellent bar-service even though the bar was packed and busy - never a wait for our next drink. For us, a great location - $17 cab fare to the cruise ship terminal (plus $1 per bag).

As to the aforementioned service misses: At check-in I was asked how many would be staying in the room. I said three. She handed me three cookies (very nice) then only two room keys (discovered this when I got to the room). In the room - two bottled waters, and only one washcloth (?). All this aside - I know that mattress and pillow firmness are a personal preference - but the mattresses were so firm (hard) that my joints ached in the morning - and the pillows were way too full and firm for me. My wife and daughter also complained that the beds were simply way too firm for sleeping purposes.

That's about it. Great location, very good service in general, but I need my sleep and the bedding made that tough - and the single washrag was an odd anomaly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for only 3 nights in May 2012. The hotel was very well kept, clean and modern. The prices were also decent I found the Staff very friendly and helpful from the concierge to the bellman. The first day we got there the concierge 'Peter' told us all about the different excursions that we could chose from, which we found very useful as this was our first time to san juan so we were not entirely sure what it had to offer. We chose the rainforest tour option which we really enjoyed. The transportation and tour guide was all included in the price we paid at the hotel however i can't quite remember the price but it was affordable. We didn't eat at the hotel as we chose to explore the cities various restaurants and bars for the nights that we were there, although some of the other guests who were staying there at the same time highly recommended the food to us. The location of this hotel is not to far from anything and the cabs out there are also affordable. The drivers we had were all really friendly and chatty but of course being in a spanish speaking country not all of them understood or spoke good English (useful tip: brush up on the spanish or have a book with key phrases). Luckily our spanish was enough to get us around with no confusion. Whilst in San Juan if on vacation I recommend visiting 'viejo san jun' (old san juan) and visit 'castillo san cristobel' if your into historical sites, there are also loads of restaurants and bars down there which are worth a visit, however if visiting san Juan for clubs and parties i suggest you go for a weekend as during the week there are no clubs or parties in the whole of san juan and old san juan open! This amazed me as i thought San Juan was the party capital so was shocked that there was not one place to party during the week as London, Uk has a party a day. Nevertheless we throughly enjoyed ourselves and would happily stay here again. Oh before I forget the hotel also offers free warm cookies when ever you want and they were absolutely delicious so make sure you ask at the front desk (just in case the forget to offer).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Recently took a brief trip (leisure) to San Juan. Found this hotel for a reasonable rate with good reviews.

The hotel is in a slightly odd area, while I believe it is in the tourist district it is just far enough away from the beaches to be slightly inconvenient.

You can easily walk to the beach/tourist area from the hotel, but the area in between is very sketchy (houses without windows, etc). Not the hotel's fault but it is worth mentioning seeing as it heavily affects the walkability of the hotel.

The hotel has a very nice open lobby with several tables and other areas to relax at. There are tables outside as well but it is noisy and on a busy street. The valet were generally friendly and helpful, and there were always taxis ready to go (warning, taxi pricing in PR is crazy. Prepare yourself)

Once in the lobby there is a very nice bar and restaurant (neither of which I had time to go to) to your left, and a chocolate shop (smells great!!) and check-in to the right.

Checkin was reasonably quick although they had not reserved the room that was on my reservation. Initially they told me there would be an upcharge which I refused, and then they put me in a room 'like' my desired room (i was supposed to have a king garden view but ended up with a queen garden view).

The room was decently laid out and has a pulldown bed in the wall (in addition to the queen bed). The building i was in was only 4 stories high so hot water was always instantly available with great water pressure.

Although the hotel appears to have been recently updated it is showing somewhat heavy signs of interior wear, the furniture had lots of chips and scratches which seemed odd, quite frankly.

The bathroom was nicely laid out although it was shower-over-tub and I prefer standalone showers. The hotel provides the normal items, soap, shampoo, etc, and offers complimentary toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, etc) upon request at no charge.

The bathroom was very clean with the exception of mildew heavily forming at the base of the tub on the outside. It seems like a drainage flaw so I honestly cant fault housekeeping for that.

Minus the general wear the room was very clean and well organized. There is a lot of drawer/table space for housekeeping to have to look over and I feel they did a pretty good job.

I was mildly annoyed with the televison itself. It had a decent channel lineup but was slightly too small for the room and flush mounted to the wall and could not be moved, so the viewing angle was off. It would be nice if they had used the traditional stands to allow pivoting of the tv so you can see it from the desk area.

The two issues i had with the hotel were limited but worth mentioning,

My room had a slightly stale odor to it, which resembled cigarette smoke. It seemed it was more prevalent when the a/c kicked on. I discovered this at about 4am when returning from a night out. The woman at the front desk was less than enthusiastic, but after much discussion did try to find another room for me. I went in to the other room and noticed it also had the same lingering odor, so i am not sure what it is (and thus opted not to change rooms). My friend was staying in another room and their room did not have this smell.

The other item was, the hotel has a sister property which is gorgeous and beach front. You can get a voucher from the doubletree to gain access to the other hotel's resources. Unfortunately no one bothered to mention this until nearly the end of my stay when the concierge mentioned it as a suggestion for places to dine. The sister property has beautiful pool and beach access that i would have used, had i known sooner.

The doubletree itself has an 'okay' pool area which is open 24 hours, though.

All in all the hotel is a reasonably good find assuming you get a decent rate. It is clean and well kept, the staff are mostly friendly, and it is very central (if you have a car/taxi).

• Stayed November 2012
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed in this hotel before we went on a cruise in November. It was very clean and the staff was very pleasant and helpful. The room itself (king room) was fairly small but had everything we needed. The shower in the bathroom was basically a completely open shower, with no door to close and only a glass partition which was totally fine for my husband and I but if you are uncomfortable with that sort of thing, might want to keep it in mind. This hotel is not that close to Old San Juan so we had to take a cab to get there. We tried taking the the bus one time which I do not recommend as it takes forever. The hotel is close to the airport and cruise pier though. We got breakfast from the restaurant in the hotel one morning and it was delicious - generous portions and the sausage and eggs were awesome. The one complaint I had about this hotel was the smell in the room. I am very sensitive to smells and it seemed like there was a heavy floral deodorizer used or some sort of floral air freshener that left a lingering smell the entire time we were there. It was very strong and noticeable. Other than that, it was a nice clean hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Overall, this is an awesome hotel. Super comfortable rooms and beds. Great staff, great lobby, great location. A 24 hour Supermax supermarket is across the street so you can save some money from hotel food prices. Only 1.5 blocks from beach-- about a ten minute walk. Ashford street is close which is Main Street in Condado. Many restaurants, shops, but more calm and laid back than expected. Not the bustling wild district I expected .

My only complaint with the hotel is that the bathrooms are weird and strangely designed. Shower is floor level with swinging glass door, but when you use it, water floods the entire floor. Also there is almost no counter space in bathroom. Just a tiny, glass ledge below main mirror. No place to really put toothbrush , toothpaste, contacts, etc. I was solo. If you shared this room as a couple, good luck! No space in bathroom for both men and women's stuff!

But hotel has four different (slightly expensive) restaurants on site. Lots of meeting rooms. Lovely lobby that always smells like chocolate. Nice pool, fitness center.

Overall: pretty great!

Stayed November 2012
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hola Charles P,
I was happy to read that you are having an awesome stay and that our staff is providing you with great service. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience with your shower. As soon as I read your review I had one of my guys from Engineering go to your room to adjust the shower door. Please feel free to contact me directly should you have any other concerns during the remainder of your stay.

bo.bramsen

Been to Doubletree by Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!