“Great stay at the Doubletree” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

You added Doubletree by Hilton San Juan to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 Ave De Diego | Ocean Park Beach, San Juan 00914, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, GA
“Great stay at the Doubletree”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed here the week of July 4th. Although we did not spend much time in the room, we enjoyed every minute of it! The rooms are clean, well decorated and very well kept. The rooms are a little small but hopefully you won't be spending a lot of time there! The staff was extremely polite. The rooms have a fridge and microwave which were great because there is a supermarket right across the street. The restaurants in the hotel are a little pricey so we saved those for dinner only. My only complaint is that the main strip for this area was a pretty good walk away. There was not much activity at the hotel itself. All of the remaining hotels with nightlife were at least a mile away. Other than that, we had no complaints!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Hola kjames2731,
Thank you for your kind review. I was happy to ready that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoy the amenities in your room such as the fridge and microwave. We also have DVDs or Blurays that we lend to our guest if needed. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any future assistance.

bo.bramsen@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Room was fine and staff very friendly and helpful. Used DVD player, business center and pool area without problems. Liked convenience to local stores and to many restaurants on Ashford. Didn't go to casinos but those also within walking distance. What I didn't like: on the a la carte breakfast menu the restaurant charges $4 for two slices of toast and, as with many restaurants, the fruit on the buffet wasn't always ripe. Also, the 18% "resort fee" includes Wi-Fi access although other literature at the hotel says that Wi-Fi is "free". Last, when I called the hotel ahead of my trip and asked for the address to use on the GPS we would have in our rental car, that address got us lost. Fortunately, the map and directions from Google on the IPhone we had got us there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Beltsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed at this Doubletree twice in the past 6 months. The staff is wonderful - friendly, helpful at every turn. The accommodations are comfortable (although the public areas are way too cold/over air conditioned but I find this to be true in any building in San Juan). Room had mini refrigerator and microwave. The grocery store across the street is a plus, but there are many good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. The beach is accessible 2-3 blocks away. This location is convenient to many business locations. We have a negotiated corporate rate which makes it easy to keep "extra charges" managable and within budget. Only complaint is that I could not find a way to use the stairway to access my room, forced to use the elevator. Frances S.

Room Tip: The top floor, end of hallway away from elevator is very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hola Frances S,
Thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back in the near future. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable. You may contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com for any assistance.

Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I just got back from a 3 night stay at the Doubletree in San Juan. I have to say considering this is a highly ranked hotel on Tripadviser, I am highly disappointed. First of all, the parking garage is not very convenient to the hotel. You have to go around the block to get into the garage and then take stairs/elevator to the ground level and then walk outside to get to the main entrance of the hotel. The parking is $15/day plus taxes. Each time you want to go out, you have to wait in line at the front desk to get your ticket validated.

I had booked a queen size room. The room was so small and made Manhattan rooms look like suites compared to it. In addition, the room was very stuffy because there was no way for the humidity from the bathroom to escape the room. I am also Hilton Gold and from looking on the website, I knew larger rooms were available. However, the guy at the front desk said they were completely sold out and so I could not get an upgrade..Hmm

As part of my Hilton Gold benefits, I was given free breakfast vouchers. The food was the same as an in mainland United States- frozen foods warmed up and served buffet style. Everything was bland, dry and tasteless. Even the coffee was cold.

The pool area was always dirty with towels laying around and everything being disorganized. I do have to say for a hotel, the gym was very nice.

The hotel is not in the touristy part of town but not far from old San Juan and Condado area by car.

At checkout, I learnt there was an 18% resort fee on top of your base hotel rate and tax on the resort fee as well. So expect an additional 20% of top of your base rate.

In all, seemed very mediocre with lots of charges.I would prefer to stay elsewhere in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Saludos Doshivk,

I am very sorry that you were disappointed in your experience with us and that your guestroom did not meet your expectations. We do try to accommodate upgrades and special requests once we received them, I am truly sorry that due to our sold out situation we were not able to accommodate you in one of our lager rooms. I do appreciate your feedback on our breakfast service and pool area, what you have described is unacceptable and I will make sure to follow up and make the necessary corrections. If I can be of service to you in any way please do not hesitate to contact me directly at yodil.caban@hilton.com.

Yodil Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com
Orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

2 friends and I went down to San Juan for a weekend to relax and see a new area. The hotel is located in Condado, about 2 blocks from the beach. Not a bad walk at all. Across the street there was a supermax (grocery store) which was convenient because we didn't feel like eating out every meal. If you're looking to go to Old San Juan for the touristy stuff it's a quick $15 cab ride, or you can take the bus (75 cents but the schedule is very unreliable, don't take it if you're in a hurry.)

As for the hotel itself it was very nice. The room was clean and stylish and the staff was very helpful. They helped make the trip amazing. One thing I was unaware of was the resort tax (for Internet, pool usage etc.). This is not a resort in mg opinion and I didn't use any of those amenities but when I explained that the staff was very helpful in resolving the issue.

There are a few restaurants within walking distance, including an UNO bar and grill. Most of the night life seemed to be in Old San Juan, or over at Brava on the other side of the city but there was a pretty cool club/collection of bars called Plan B about a block from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I really had a great stay at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan. I stayed there from october 5th to october 8th , 2012. I traveled alone and I totally felt safe. It is located in a great area in front of a 24 hour supermarket that is really expensive thought. It's at 8 minutes from the international airport and it will cost you 18$ with the taxi turistica. I had only one small luggage. I don't know if it is more if you have more luggages or heavy one. When I arrived, I was well welcomed by Sugeil Fermin, front desk agent. She gave me a room before the checkin time, which was really appreciated, She also gave me informations about things to do around and the old san juan without me asking. That's what I qualify excellent customer services. The room was clean. My housekeeper's name was Sandra. She was really nice to me and always smiling. Love my room and it was really quiet, Antonio, the bellboy or concierge was nice too. A serviable man. On sunday morning, I sunday morning, i took the buffet breakfast at the hotel. Was really a great price (15,99$ + tx). Nathalia Santos at the restaurant Cafe Pierre welcome me with a good attention. I think she realized in my accent that I was speaking french and she started speaking french with me which I really appreciated :). I was really surprise to meet in San Juan a staff member who speaks french. It's a great bonus. I really appreciate :)
I have no negative comment to say about my experience except that I was disappointed for the choice of tropical fruits at the breakfast buffet. There was only cantaloup, honey melon, pineapple and grapes. Were was the mangos? Unfortunately, the cantaloup and honey melon was not sweet. Despite that, the service was excellent and my experience was amazing. I definitively recommend this hotel to everyone. P.s the welcome chocolate chips cookie is succulent :) Yummie!
Thank you to all staff member of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan!
Jenny :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
DoubletreeSanJuan, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Hola Jenny V,
Thank you for recent stay with us and thank you for your kind review. I was happy to see that we were able to provide you with early check-in, and that all the staff provided you with excellent service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any further assistance.

bo.bramsen@hilotn.com
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I should have written this review a LONG time ago. I imagined myself outlining every single great thing about our stay at this hotel, but I'm realizing that that would take forever. So here's what I've got: great location, great hotel, great staff. I went there with my girlfriends for my birthday. They had a special birthday treat waiting in my room and they greeted us by name in the hallways and front desk. Here's a bit more:

Location: great (but we had a rental car to get to old San Juan). Note - the hotel isn't beachside.
Business Center: Just OK - 2 or 3 computers with basic internet service.
Gym: Le Wow. Great facility with windows, treadmills, weights, etc. There's a spa too.
Food: We only had breakfast at the hotel and it was good.
Staff: AMAZING. Seriously, this staff is SO nice.
Room: Very comfortable. Caveat - the bathroom is a simple sliding glass door, so privacy is *ahem* limited.

All in all, it was a great stay. Looking forward to visiting again!
Trip: Dec 2010

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Hola anioti,
Thank you for your kind words. I was glad to read that we could assist with making your birthday celebration a good one. I hope we will be able to help you celebrate many more birthdays to come. Please feel free to contact me directly at bo.bramsen@hilton.com if I can be of any future assistance.

bo.bramsen@hilton.com

Been to Doubletree by Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!