“Good business hotel but some service issues” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree by Hilton San Juan

You added Doubletree by Hilton San Juan to your Saves list
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   105 Ave De Diego | Ocean Park Beach, San Juan 00914, Puerto Rico   |
Special Offer
My Puerto Rico Experience
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Good business hotel but some service issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

One the one hand this is a great business hotel: it is close to the expressway, it has a business center, there is a reliable internet connection (a BIG issue in San Juan!), and the front desk staff are very helpful. Plus it is across the street from a grocery store, so you can avoid getting gouged on breakfast.

However, the last time I stayed here there were two issues. First, the room did not seem clean: there were stains on the pillows and duvet cover, and worse yet HAIR all over the bed. TBH, if I wasn't so tired, I would have asked to switch rooms. The other issue was room service - I ordered a $24 hamburger medium well, and it came up BLOODY - how hard it is to get a hamburger right? I guess this might not seem like a lot, but when you are working long hours on the road, all you want to do at the end of the day is come back to a clean room and a decent hot meal, and unfortunately I was able to do neither.

I really liked this hotel when I stayed here before, and I will probably stay here again if I can get a good rate if for no other reason that I need a strong wifi connection and ready access to a printer for work reasons, but like so much else in San Juan, despite the warmth of the staff it just does not seem like you are getting good value for your money.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
YMCSanJuan, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Saludos Edilla5215,

It was great to read that you found our hotel to be great for business. With our accessibility to the expressway and steps to Ocean Park Beach we belief we are also great for the leisure traveler who wants to explore and enjoy San Juan/ Puerto Rico. I wanted to apologize for the issues that you have mentioned, especially in the housekeeping area, as this is where we mostly pride our self’s and the majority our guests mention that we constantly offer clean rooms. I am sorry that this was not the case during your stay with us. If possible please contact me at yodil.caban@hilton.com as I would like to see in what way I can off set your sentiments.

Always at your service,

Yodil M. Cabán
yodil.caban@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012 via mobile

Stay here. Although it's not on the beach, the accommodations and friendly staff make up for it. The pool area is very nice and the overall hotel is contemporary and updated. The hotel has walkable access to the market and other local restaurants. When I return, I will be staying here again!

• Stayed January 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

The staff was very friendly. My husband was in bad need of a hair cut so he asked on of the associates where to go. Instead of giving directions he personally took him to the barber around the corner for a great hair cut! Only bad thing was that our room smelled like cigarette smoke. We bought Febreeze from the local supermarket across the street which helped, but every day we came back to the room it smelled even worse. Also, the bar is not that great. Overall, I enjoyed myself but don't know if i would stay there again.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

Me and my wife like this hotel in Condado (San Juan)! Its new, rooms are large, comfortable and clean, bathrooms look and smell great, and the staff is excellent. The location is great having key places are nearby like Munoz Marin Airport, Condado, Old San Juan, Hato Rey, and Santurce). There are many restaurants nearby, but the hotel also have two very good restaurants. A convenient 24hrs supermarket is located across the street. Hilton Honors are welcomed. This place is perfect for business travelers. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: Try to avoid any room facing De Diego Ave., traffic might be noisy depending on the season.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

As a frequent traveler, I have a variety of hotels that I can choose from and I always prefer to stay here. The staff is wonderful and they always welcome me back with gracious words and genuine smiles. I can't say enough about the Front Desk, Management, Restaurant, Valet,Room service and the gentlemen that help me with my bags :-)! The hotel rooms are comfortable and cozy and the hotel is centrally located. It has easy access to both the highway and the beach. Convenient restaurants on the premises and a grocery store right across the street. There is even a dry cleaner close by and the hotel has washer/dryers available too. Definitely would recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here. Hotel staff is very friendly by letting us check in couple of hours as they realized that we had toddler together. Hotel is brand new. Shower and bed and pillows are really comfortable. We went to eat about 15 mins walk from hotel at Mexican place Tijuana. You will get your money worth, With out a doubt.
Cons: Taxi rides are little expensive to Old San Juan, If you have to stay more than couple of nights.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Avon, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights prior to a cruise which departed from the Pan American pier.
We took a taxi from the airport at a cost of $15.00 plus tip and had a smooth and efficient checkin. The person on the front desk was extremely helpful and gave us tips on where to eat and sightseeing tours that were available from the hotel. He clearly loved his job and it certainly showed. Our room was clean and modern with plenty of room. We ate dinner at a restaurant across the street and the food was delicious. We took a taxi to the shopping center as it was a special holiday and we knew Old San Juan would be very crowded. Beautiful pool area. The breakfast buffett has a large selection of items or you can order from a menu. I would certainly stay in this hotel again when visiting San Juan.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Doubletree by Hilton San Juan? Share your experiences!