“uncomfortable” 1 of 5 stars
Review of At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel

You added At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1750 McLeary Ave | Condado, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
“uncomfortable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2004

Dear friends,
I stayed on August 2004 at the Wind Chimes Inn for 4 days and I did not like it at all.
First, the indications given to get from the airport were so poor that it took us a long time to reach it.
Then, nobody opened us the door for about 15 minutes. The girl at the front desk was not there for unknown reasons.
We were given a tiny room with an even smaller bathroom where only one at the time may enter.However, the room was always neat and clean.We had views to a patio.
The parking area was not easy since you had to approach your car to a wall in order to let the other 5 cars enter their way to their place.
Not to mention the horrible and dirty swimming pool available.
Besides, when we wanted to change the hotel for our second stay at San Juan, we were charged one full night!!!!! It was unfare!!!!!!
I do not recommend you this hotel!!!!! There are million better in Condado Area!!
I ´d rather recommend our second hotel "The San Juan Comfort Inn"--nice rooms, nice pool, breakfast included in regular price, perfect location.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

This place is okay--nice location, quiet street, with delicious local places to eat.
The food at the place is overcharged, the bar staff are great.
The rooms are clean.
Don't like the fact that they take the full cost up front.
Front desk attendants are hit or miss.
"Indoor" parking is a good thing.
Pool is small and full of bugs.
If you just need a clean affordable place to crash and are planning day trips this is a good spot.

Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2004

My husband and I staid 2 nights before our cruise and things were great! The staff was great, as mentioned and that means a lot to me when traveling!

Downfalls: rooms ARE small, the "tiki bar" IS overpriced, I agree a continental breakfast would make up for this and the pool hours AREN'T great. But being from the US, if I am in San Juan, Puerto Rico, I'm not hanging at my hotel. So, that being said, I think the $110 we paid for our decent sized, clean room with a bathroom and tv was WAY better than spending $250/night at the Marriott as some other people we met had. And better than the $60-$80 we could have paid for SCARY places!! I wouldn't spend a week here, but for a few days, it's perfect!

• Stayed July 2004
New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2004

There is a lot going right at Wind Chimes. My family and I were there for 13 days. It's a lovely place, lots of charm and intimacy, beautiful physical plant and the people running the place (Gaby especially, who was so accommodating to our needs and helpful with advice about where to eat and how to get here or there.) are fantastic. The location can't be beat. A four minute walk from the beach and at the perfect spot to pick up the central highways on the island. There are great restaurants within walking distance (Bebo's, Kasalta) and if you don't have a car, public transportation can be picked up close by as well. I felt safe there...but I wasn't in the annex, which sounded a little fishy to me when it was mentioned when I first called. It's not completed and I think they're using it eariler than they should. Here's what could be better at Wind Chimes: pool hours are too short (9-6); the pool is TINY! Literally four people max can move in that space. And as for the jacuzzi, uh...it's more like pool pumps that you can press your back against. ANd the last two days we were there, the pool was developing a disturbing cloudiness that no one seemed to see fit to apologize for or explain. There is no complimentary breakfast...even continental could do the trick, especially when the place bills itself as welcoming for kids. A family can't plunk down 8 bucks a day for a bowl of cereal and a glass of juice, which is what you'd spend at the "Tikki Bar" at Wind Chimes. The room attendants make the beds and refresh towels, but don't reliably sweep the gritty sand that inevitably comes in on your sandals, nor do they re-supply the shampoo unless you ask. There's no iron in the room, which one might need if one were doing business on the island and needed pressed clothing. They supply beach towels, but could think about renting out beach umbrellas, especially since they bill themselves as having access to the beach. One cannot just sit there and roast all day without serious damage taking place. The parking facilities are horrible. There are about five spaces and you have to park about an inch from a wall in order to fit, so if you're not ready or able to climb out of the opposite door, you're stuck. I'm getting a little too crickety to have to climb out of a car. So, the bottom line is, it's a cozy, reliable, safe, convenient, and pleasant place to stay in PR. I'd stay there again if I needed to. I'd recommend it to people. BUT, I will look around for another place in the Condado area for the next time I head to Borinquen--just to see if there's something better.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2004

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! We were very disappointed after so many glowing reports and recommendations. The first big problem was the parking. We paid extra for a reserved parking spot and the parking lot turned out to be a tiny area that looked like an alley. We spent the week maneuvering in and out with the other cars hoping not to hit a wall or other car. You are forced to back out of the alley onto a busy street.We had reserved what was supposed to be a renovated room (Like those on the website). The first room they showed us had broken tile on the floor, paint peeling in the bath, a tiny TV, and a window which would not close (not good for the bugs). The second room they gave us was even smaller (Think walk through the door and hit the foot of the bed) but in a bit better shape.Though we downgraded, we weren't offered a lower price or any apology. The showers were nothing more than a corner of the bathroom with a shower head covered by a curtain. It wasn't particularly clean or quiet. It was a bother to have to open a lock to get OUT of the place! The pool closed at 6 p.m. (when you'd like to get IN). Don't go by the website--we were surprised at the exaggerations. Not a wind chime in the place!
But for the price we paid, about half of what we'd have paid at a large hotel, it was OK. Didn't feel particularly safe but not in danger, either. The staff was friendly. I saw that you should make VERY CLEAR what kind of room you want and be ready to accept the bare bones. The beach was gorgeous but the walk there is through a seedy neighborhood. If you have the money, go elsewhere . If we go back to PR, we will go elsewhere.

Hackensack, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2004

My wife and I enjoyed the ambiance,friendly bar staff, close proximity to a beautiful beach, and general cleanliness of this boutique hotel, but were surprised and saddened to have a bag full of souveniers stolen from our room. The rooms and front gate all have the same key in the newly renovated annex (as does the main hotel ) but the annex has no security at the gate. Our room also had no phone in it, and the light in the hall was out and was never fixed during the 5 days we stayed despite telling them numerous times.The manager and staff were considerate and showed concern regarding the theft but ultimately did nothing ( not even a complementary drink!) about it.
The bar/restaurant is very good for a kitchen that consists of a George Foreman grill and refrigerator, and the concierges were helpful with reservations etc.Your stay in San Juan should be a safe one,so be on your guard and don't leave valuable in your room.

• Stayed November 2004
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2004

I stayed at Wind chimes with my family from July11-15Th, it was great! The staff was friendly, courteous, the Bartender Danny, makes great drinks, and I met some truly nice people there. The surrounding area is safe, there's a great bakery/luncheonette a few blocks down called KASALTA that makes great breakfast and lunch.
I'm very particular about where I rest my head and I felt totally confident at winchimes, the rooms were clean, quiet, and number one on my list, there were no bugs in the room, not even one mosquito, I plan to return in February! I give it a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

Been to At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!