“Real taste of Old San Juan!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel

You added At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1750 McLeary Ave | Condado, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Real taste of Old San Juan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were totally impressed with the hotel and the service! Such a nice place. The bathrooms were clay grouted mosiac patterns; The halls had Tiffany style lamps and ferns. Nice marble like steps. Our room had a little balcony that opened to a view of the ocean. Room not large but we werent spending anytime in it -just to sleep. BIg surprise in a little price! Very pleased and would recommend this hotel to everyone. I emailed the staff to inquire about rental cars and things to do and they were over the top helpful. It was quite refreshing! Not a huge Hilton on Condado type experience including that price; I felt like we got the real taste of Puerto Rican hospitality. Within 5-10 minute drive to Old San Juan but you could make a day of the walk if you were ambitious. Blocks away from Starbucks. Had a jacuzzi and a pool which we did not use but looked nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New York City, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is the second year we have stayed at this boutique hotel. It is centrally located and very close to the beach. The room we had was under the pool deck and was very dark. However, it was also very spacious and since we were not in the room during the day it was fine. We had 2 huge beds and a dining room table. The refrigerator made taking cool drinks to the beach a snap. All in all I would highly recommend this hotel for a beach stay in San Juan (Condado).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor. Much airier.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Warrensburg MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed two separate times for our vacation Oct 9th thru the 17th. Our first night because our plane was getting in late in the day and wanted something kind of close to the airport, and then we decided to stay our last night there because we liked it so much. The people that run it are very friendly and informative. Read also review "Yinzer13" because they said a lot of what I was going to say. Be prepared to climb steps if you get a room on the second floor as they do not have a elevator. We stayed the first night on ground level, the last night in room 121 (which is upstairs). It was a very nice room overlooking both the pool and the street corner. Traffic did not bother us at all. The hotel sits on a corner street lot. Parking is hard to find right next to the Hotel, we got lucky both times. The rooms are very clean and the beds are nice. The only thing missing for me was a continental breakfast, wish they had one, but they said that you could use your hotel key to get in the sister hotel down the street which had a buffet. We didn't try it though. A short walk to the beach, was told by locals to watch your belongings because of the poor economy situation, some people get alittle greedy. We appreciated the advice. Beautiful beach. We would stay here again in a heart beat. Very affordable and clean. Loved the feel of it. An old Spanish refurbished Mansion.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Totally cute and quaint; the perfect pied-a-terre for a San Juan experience. Walk to the beach. Drive into Old San Juan.

And, do yourself a favor and grab breakfast at the cutest little coffee shop around: Kamoli Butik + Kafe. The hotel's recommended Noche is over-priced.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

*Note, this review is for two separate occasions/visits that occurred in the same week so this may be lengthy*

First Visit: I purchased this room last minute (without reading any reviews), as I was flying out 12 hours before to Puerto Rico for a trip with my boyfriend for the week. For the duration we ended up staying at a different resort but needed a place to crash for the night after our flight landed (at 7 at night) and also close the airport so we can leave. This hotel showed up, and I reserved through priceline.com. -- The rate for Monday was $50 so I couldn't complain since this wasn't for a long period of time. Arrived at the hotel around 8pm and found out that parking was $10 otherwise, you gotta park on the side of the street. Thankfully we were able to find a spot (it's a hit or miss, you may have to walk a bit) so we were given the keys to our room (note: there is a $150 fee if you lose the key.. they are house keys, not plastic ones) I found out before checking in that they had already charged my credit card the full total of the room so when I told the guy, he seemed confused. After showing him the charge on my phone, I was told he had a similar issue like that with a customer where the total was held and the customer was charged again (not something a client needs to hear but I respect his honesty, I believe the customer he was referring to is the one who wrote the long review a few below this one) so we were not charged twice (thankfully). Other than that, simple and quick check in. We had room 124 which I took a photo of. Beautiful king room on the second floor, over looking the pool/deck. Nice size bathroom, two people can fit in the shower. It was clean, fridge was cold and the a/c was great. Even had a ceiling fan. The hotel is located literally a 3 minute walk down the street from the beach. If you want breakfast/lunch ordered, you have to walk to their other hotel called Acacia Seaside Inn Boutique. Had a good sleep and enjoyed our experience that night. Check out was simple, all the charges matched up and had no issue.

Visit #2: So I booked this visit, the same way through priceline.com at the rate of $60 a night. Asked about purchasing parking this time and the guy told us that the lot was full but we could park for two hours until the street emptied so we didn't have to carry our luggage a long way, wonderful. Checked in, I previously requested the same room I had a few nights back (room 124) I was told however that my request wasn't able to be approved. So he put us in a king room (room 103) I was exhausted so the only thing I was looking forward to was sleep (we had done a huge road trip and hiking around the country so physically, I was exhausted). Upon walking into the room, it was much different from our previous room. Smaller, and this room had a kitchenette separate from the room (which I actually liked) so after turning on the air we get asked to move our car (not even 10 mins after checking in) the guy at the front desk asked "were you heading out?" it was mind blowing because just moments ago, we are being told we can leave our car for a few hours. Ultimately we had to park in the handicap area and weren't charged so I was grateful, it was just a pain to get out when it was time to leave since the other visitors were not on the property and we had to wait a little. BACK TO THE ROOM! After dealing with car situation, I went back to the room to take a shower. The shower curtain had mold/mildew on it, there was no hair dryer and the bathroom was VERY small (Only one person could fit, and if you sat on the toilet, your foot was hanging outside the door and your legs were hitting the sink, that's how tiny it was. The linen was very dirty, spots all over the blanket (the linens were white so it's very visible, and the bed had bed bugs! ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE! We ended up sleeping with towels on the beds. I spoke with the manager (very sweet lady) and expressed my concerns and how upset I was, she immediately gave me a credit and changed my room to #111 which is located behind the bar. A spacious room with a canopy king bed and large shower with a living room. I believe this was a accessible room, hence why it wasn't offered up front. After getting situated AGAIN, we were able to rest and enjoy our last night. I did hear noise around 5 am, sounded like construction.. also you could hear the music from the bar (wasn't too loud, but noticeable but didn't bother me or my boyfriend) check out was easy and simple. This hotel is about 2 minutes from the interstate and 10 minutes from the airport so we made it on our flight home early. Overall, make sure you inspect your room first before settling. I would stay here again for a day or two, for the rate and the type of room, it's worth it. It's not Marriott or Hilton or so if you're looking for that then you have the wrong hotel. It's more small, boutique and cute. Perfect for couples, like myself and boyfriend. Make sure you check your billing statement before and after (to ensure no double charging, which I do anyway with all hotels) check out your room thoroughly (as a tripadvisor member, I am sure we all do lol) and check out the information regarding parking early (it will save you lots of headache later)

Room Tip: Room 124 & 111 are both wonderful! Great showers and very spacious. With room 111, it's by t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

On our last night in Puerto Rico we decided to stay at a slightly more expensive hotel and chose Windchimes. I would consider it still an economical place since we paid only slightly more than we were spending at Guesthouses on Culebra and Vieques. I wasn't prepared for the surprise, however, when we arrived! You enter through an arched door and behind the walls that surround and presumably separate it from the rest of the world you see a ceramic plaque with the familiar saying "Mi Casa Es Su Casa". Entering the small lobby it reminded me more of the downstairs of a home with a stairway leading upstairs. Our room, however was out the back of this building and once we followed our check-in person around the back and up the stairs of another charming Spanish Colonial Building, I realized why it was called a "Boutique" hotel. The room was small, very well kept and decorated, clean, air-conditioned and quite safe due to the walls that seclude the entire property. When we took a walk around the property, I found lots of little nooks and crannies wher a room was tucked away here and there with lots of levels for rooms, sun-bathing, a bar, a soak pool, and up some steps to another level, a charming sitting area with a couch and lounges with windchimes hanging and tinkling in the breeze! It was a restored Spanish Mansion and had all the character that history might connote. Though Windchimes sits at the corner of a main avenue in the more residential area of Ocean Park, just down a side street, past Windchimes' sister hotel, Acacia, and one block away is the public OceanPark Beach, where you'll find folks windsurfing, etc. because it's on the main avenue, you can catch a bus to Old San Juan a block away for 75 cents or stroll down the street to a variety of small businesses that provide eats and drinks. A woman named Ivelisse checked us in and very graciously provided information on the area. Very professional and yet warm and friendly!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the building behind the main building. Though I'm sure they are all quiet, you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bloomington, Minnesota, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is an open letter to the Acacia Boutique Hotel, and The Hotel "At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel." This is MORESO THOUGH, a warning to anyone considering staying there, and for anyone that has ever stayed there. I will list my name and email address at the end of this post. Anybody may contact me at any time with questions, including representatives of Acacia or Wind Chimes, regarding my complaint. To add some clarity to my account, it should be noted that The Hotel at Wind Chimes Inn is a hotel related to, and presumably managed by the Acacia Boutique Hotel.

I booked the hotel room with booking.com for a pre-tax total of $481.00. After tax (9%) and a service charge (5%), this amounted to $550.60 for 1 room, 4 nights - Friday, Sept 6 through Tuesday Sept 10 (a pre-tax total of $120.25 a night).

When I returned home, I accessed my bank account, only to find an unexpected and inexplicable charge from "Wind Chimes Inn," on my checking account for $431.64, in addition to the correct charge of $550.60 (of which I have a signed receipt)

I phoned the number listed on booking.com for "At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel" (1-787-727-4153). It was answered by an identified person (refused to identify himself by name [presumably "himself" by low-tone voice]). When I explained my mysterious charge of $431.64 to the individual on the phone, he explained that there is "no record of this charge in his system." I explained that the charge had been made, the money had been withdrawn from my account, and that the charge was shown on my statement as being withdrawn by "At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel." The Acacia rep then advised me that I would need to send a bank statement by mail to the Acacia Boutique Hotel, then the charge would be credited. I explained that the charge should never have happened on the first place, and that I am now in overdraft because of the faulty charge. I had bills due, and i did not have the time to correspond by mail in this manner. The rep then told me that he would walk from the Acacia Hotel to Wind Chimes Inn (a block away), and advise the manager of my situation. The manager would then call me back to arrange a refund. The Acacia rep told me to wait approximately 15 minutes for the return call. I waited 15 minutes, and no return call had been received. I then phoned the original number approximately 15 times, every time ringing more than ten times, eventually reaching a busy tone each time.

Heavily suspecting at this point that I was being lied to by the people who were in my opinion, clearly stealing from me, I called my bank and informed them of the situation. In the end, I ended up having to cancel the card I used to book the hotel, and dispute the fraudulent charge with my bank. To Wells Fargo's credit, they have been very helpful throughout this ordeal by reversing the charge and canceling the current checking card, and issuing me a new one.

It should be noted that there was an irate customer who checked out before me, who was complaining of being charged twice. He was a resident of the Acacia Hotel, and was warning everyone in the lobby of the double-charge. I wish I had taken the opportunity to check my account before leaving the hotel.

Trying to find the phone number to the San Juan, PR PD was an adventure in itself. I eventually got their number from the San Juan branch of the FBI. Using the phone number provided by the FBI, I have tried to contact the San Juan, PR Police Department - Condado precinct to file a theft report. So far, I have been laughed at and hung up on on the first attempt, and referred to two non-working phone numbers to contact on the second attempt.

It should go without saying, I do not recommend staying at either the Acacia Boutique Hotel, or the Hotel at Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel. Anyone that has stayed at with Wind Chimes or Acacia should review their statement for fraudulent charges, including anyone that has made a purchase with a credit or debit card at the restaurant or bar at either of these hotels. If you have completed any online transactions using their WiFi on your personal Internet device (phone, iPad, laptop, etc) you should also review your statements for fraudulent charges, and change passwords to be cautious.

Do not be fooled by the menus is the rooms, they kitchen is never open, and they will never be willing to provide the advertised breakfast and/or dinner.

The beds are hard as a rock, and the T.V. freezes out every day, requiring it to be unplugged and plugged in again to make it work.

My overall experience with the people of Condado, San Juan, Puerto Rico was beyond enjoyable. I have never experienced such a strong concentration of so many kind, helpful, and breathtakingly beautiful people in my life. The terrible experience with the Acacia Boutique Hotel / At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel has in no way affected my opinion of the people of Condado, San Juan, PR. I would suggest though, if you plan on visiting, to shell out the extra money and stay at the Marriott. Also, be aware of the fact that crime is a very serious problem on this island, and prepare accordingly.

Sincerely, Benson Alexander.

Any questions or comments, please contact me at:
bnsnalexander@yahoo.com

Below is the contact info related to the mentioned places of business in my critique:

At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel

San Juan, PR 00911
+1-787-725-0668

San Juan PD - General Number
787-793-1234
Condado Precinct (so far non-working)
787-726-7020
787-726-7015

FBI - San Juan PR Office
Federal Office Bldg., Suite 526
150 Carlos Chardon Avenue
Hato Rey, PR 00918
Phone: 1-877-324-7577
Fax: (787) 759-1587

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!