“Charming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1750 McLeary Ave | Condado, San Juan 00911, Puerto Rico   |
Ranked #25 of 47 hotels in San Juan
reston, va
“Charming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our party of 7 stayed in 4 rooms At Wind Chimes. The Deluxe room while only $8 more was definitely a step up. That said, two of the three "regular" rooms were nice as well - simple and clean with a touch of "different". The last of our group, however, was initially placed in a room behind the bar..While is was cutely tucked away in the back, the result was a stale, cavelike experience. The bathroom was so small that they had to move the curtain on the shower just to go to the bathroom - and even then their feet were on the drain! The front desk moved them to a much more suitable room. It seemed to us that room should be a separate class all together (like a bargain room) because it was just not equivalent to the other more well lit and more airy rooms. The patio area in the hotel was lovely - the pool very nice. Service by all three front desk personnel (over our 18 hour stay) was very good.

When we arrived the gentleman at the front desk steered us to a nearby restaurant that was great - maybe a 5 minute walk - up what a local said was a street where "the group should stick together". The restaurant was La Cueva del Mar. GREAT food, clearly a local hot spot. Great fish at amazing prices!!!

A short 2 minute walk in the morning took us right down to a very pretty beach with 5 active turtle hatching spots, appropriately cordoned off. Lots of dogs playing on beach from 6-7am. Very nice.

Room Tip: I'd go for the deluxed IF you plan to spend any time in the room - it provided a separate little...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Fort Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was there middle of May 2013 and it was a great stay. Planned to stay here earlier this year but got moved to Acacia Boutique down the street (sister hotel--see my review there) and wanted to give this location a try for my business trip.

Why did I choose Wind Chimes? There are other brand name hotels, but they are quite old and outdated....rebranded from older hotels that went under, I suppose, so I just didn't want to pay a high rate for a so-so run down room. I figured I'd rather pay about half and stay at an older, smaller property.

I have to say that Wind Chimes is extremely clean. I know it's unrealistic to not expect a bit of dirt or bugs in the tropics, but I didn't see any in the hotel at all. I see more in my home in Texas and we keep it very clean.

The room was a standard (not economy, but not the largest) and there was plenty of room. AIr conditioner worked great. Location is near several smaller restaurants and walking distance from a few convenience stores. One is a pretty big 24 hr convenience store and just a block or two away.

Staff are friendly. There is parking for a few cars and this time when I reserved a spot they had one for me--so they do exist. Property requires a key to get in or be buzzed in. Felt very safe. (Full disclosure: One night I work to hear either firecrackers or several gun fire rounds nearby. Wasn't sure and didn't care so went back to sleep.)

I like the location because it's a short easy drive from the airport a few miles down a major back road. Then, close to the beach although I only went down once. I was doing work in Hato Rey, which is another easy drive down a major street three miles away. Was a very convenient location for me. It isn't going to be close to Carolina or Isla Verde if you are walking, the areas near the airport with other casinos, etc. but it works great for me.

Rented a car from Charley Car--my second time doing this--and it was easy. They pick you up from the airport and are located just off site. Since all the car rental places are off site there isn't any advantage to those and Charley Car is probably the least expensive. Located on the main road between Isla Verde and Condado so it was again convenient for me.

I'd stay at Wind Chimes again. Affordable, clean, friendly. No complaints!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
InnontheBlueHorizon, General Manager at At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Hola 185DavidG.

Thank you for your kind review. We were happy to know that you choose to stay at our quaint boutique hotel rather than a brand hotel and that you found the room to be clean and comfortable. Our staff proud themselves in keeping and maintaining a service of excellence for our guest and we are very happy that you received friendly service from our staff throughout your stay.
Regarding the firecrackers you heard one night you’ve must of come by the time we have our Heineken Jazz fest just a couple of blocks away, were locals and tourists enjoy life music, refreshments and fireworks.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to San Juan. Please feel free to contact us directly.
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We recieved this trip as a "gift" from spirit incentives. Everyone thought we were a little crazy to be staying at a hotel with only 28 rooms, in the middle of san jaun, but i wouldnt have had it any other Way! The beach is less than one block away, walking distance to shopping and restuarants, and only a short car ride to the city. The barbon the property wasnt open during out 5 day stay so i would check to see the hours of the bar but itbdidnt bother me enought to complain. The pool wascute and big enough to do some easy laps. We had an inside room, closest to the office so it was pretty quiet. Im not sure about the room located outside, but for being on a major intersection the hotel was peacfull. Stay was wonderful, all questions and concerns were addressed, so dont be afraid to ask questions. I would recommend this hotel for a couple, young and old who are trying to recieve more from their vacation than just drunken nights at the bars or beaches. I would recommend renting a car because taxis can become expensiveand the drivers are so so. Its in the neighborhood of condando, which really come alive a night, so i felt comforable taking strolls on the beach at 9 sometimes 10 pm, also rumor has it Thats its known as being the "gayborhood" which didnt bother us, but just inside tip for those who may be uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Thomas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Very nice botique hotel. Beautiful soak pool. Nice quaint rooms. Perfect San Juan stay. Small tiled rooms just like all of the hotels in condado. Very nice staff. Easy to find. Hard to find a place to park.

• Stayed April 2013
Arlington, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

In December I reserved a room for 2 nights. Also, I was assured that We would get a room in quieter section of the hotel. When we showed up in late February they had no room for us. The clerk couldn't reach the owner - the solution was for the clerk to lead us with our bags down a dark side street to another place. The room there was good. We liked it. We wished to stay there for our second night. That was refused. The best they'd do for us was to promise to have our bags rolled back to Wind Chimes that afternoon. This really stunk. It left us feeling worried about our stuff. We went out for the day, came back found our stuff intact BUT in a front room right above a noisy boulevard --that night we heard many loud jeeps and convertibles roaring by blaring their music.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was a little worried when I read some of the reviews that said the hotel was little more than a hostel in a seedy area of town. I did not find this to be true. Yes, the rooms are small, and it has a campy kind of feel to it. But we enjoyed it so much more than our stay at the Sheraton, which was generic and so removed from the Puerto Rican experience.

We walked up Ashford Street one day to Pinky's, where we had a terrific breakfast. Then we walked down to Kasalta's for another local eating establishment favorite. http://browsingtheatlas.com

The hotel was charming and we enjoyed our stay. We'll stay again if we go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wheeling, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

This review is a bit late as we stayed four nights in February 2013. First I must say I read a few reviews from people who visited after we did & wonder if they were at the same quaint place as my husband & me. The front desk staff was wonderful (morning coffee in the lobby, excursions arranged, directions given, towels, etc & we experienced 4 front (very nice) desk people during our stay & the owner I believe even assisted us to the max when we had to depart via cab at 5 in the morning. The hotel is right on a bus route---75 cents gets U into town in 15 minutes!! We saw foot patrol officers just down a few blocks from the hotel & elsewhere--felt quite safe at night as well as day. Staying here you do feel like U are in a room which was once a part of a grand home in SJ. We loved the location to beach, bars ---a bit up the street maybe 15 minutes walk or so 7 authentic restaurants quite nearby!! Cool little tiki bar & refreshing dipping pool. The room we had was on the first floor just across from the entrance into the Lobby across the small courtyard & it was fine & clean!! Would return in a heartbeat!! Thanks Wind Chimes. Rose & Brian

Room Tip: The hotel was full when we were there but I do think a deluxe room would've been nice, however w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to At Wind Chimes Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!