“OK Room, OK Casino” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino

You added Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Brumbaugh Street | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
“OK Room, OK Casino”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My group was travelling back to the continental US after staying in a rental property for a week and spent the last night here. The room I stayed in was very smelly and quite small, especially for the price. The room wasn't particularly clean, nor was the fitness center very impressive. The front desk was helpful enough to send up a rollaway upon request. Typical of hotels like this category, nothing was free or included. The casino was small, and had very few table/card games, with the majority being slots. I played at a $10 blackjack table and the dealers were good, but I was disappointed with the lack of games. The location is pretty nice for exploring Old San Juan, but not very convenient for anything else (including the airport).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Alex from Colorado,
Thanks for sharing your experience here. Your feedback is important to us as we all of our guest quality experience. Taking your time to share your points of view assist us with planning and or corrections as needed. We hope that you also enjoyed your rental vacation and continue to visit Old San Juan.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Janesville, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights as part of a business program that I attended. The location is great as you can walk everywhere in Old San Juan, but otherwise I found this an average hotel.
First off, the room is clean as is the bathroom. Also the bedding was new and sparkly white, which I love. I found the tv hard to use as you had to hold the remote just a certain way to get it to even work. Also the hotel room information was missing - you know the booklet that tells you when to check out, work the tv and its channels, use the phone, where the amenties are in the building...... when I called to ask for it, all got was a print out of tv channels............ Oh boy! Patience is a virtue!
I found it to be secure as in the fact that you have to use your room key card to access the elevator. Now having said that, I stupidly left out a silver bracelet that I had purchased the day before and of course, 20 minutes later as I rushed back to the room, the bracelet was gone. Now I know not to do that as I have travelled a bit and I do accept that it was my fault for leaving it out. I did call the security office and front desk several times, but nothing was ever "turned" in. I also felt that I was bothering them as they really could have cared less.
Having said all this, I did not let it ruin my time in San Juan, as I found it very lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest from Wisconsin,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. Although glad you enjoyed your stay in Old San Juan we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced which are quite unacceptable. Would appreciate if you have other details that you could share about the persons, dates, times you had these issues at: sales@sheratonoldsanjuan.com so that we can follow-up accordingly. You have a very nice attitude and this is a great asset these days. We do hope we get to have you back at some time and provide the WOW! experience you deserve.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I flew to Puerto Rico to catch a cruise ship. We stayed 2 nights in this wonderful hotel. It is walking distance to everything in Old San Juan. Very convenient when you have no idea where you are :). The restaurants attached and close by are great! Also, nice when you want to sight see and you can either walk or take a trolly. The rooms and amenities are pretty fabulous as well. Totally going back again.

Room Tip: The higher up you are the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Aimee,
Thanks for sharing your experience here and the kind words. It makes us very happy to learn when we contribute to great memories. Traveling should always be exciting and fun and we are glad to be part of that. We hope you also enjoyed your cruise as well and that we see you here soon.
chesieres
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed there just one night on my way to the Virgin Islands.
The hotel is barely to the Sheraton standard.
There is a tired microscopic casino and a tired small bar, where in the morning you get a tired breakfast. Everything is dusty and tired.

Dear guest,
We appreciate your feedback and we regret that your experience was not in accordance with our quality brand standards. We hope we have another opportunity in the near future to make it up to you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Old SanJuan for one night after our cruise. The hotel was very clean and the staff was very helpful. Our room on the 9th floor with a view of the port was fantastic. The Sheraton stored our luggage after we got off the ship which allowed us to tour Old San Juan. they called uswat about 1:30 to let us know our room was ready. I highly recommend this hotel because of it's location and friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for sharing your experience here and the nice comments about our staff. Although we have 240 guest rooms, we strive to act and feel like a small personal boutique hotel. Look forward to having you back.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you're looking to explore Old San Juan, then this is the place for you. Once you hand over the car to the valet, you can walk all the way to the forts. Do take summer heat into consideration though. There's a CVS or Walgreens a block away as well.

Commuting to the rest of San Juan is ok. Only one major road out but it was never congested while I was there. All the usual caveats of driving in PR apply.

The hotel itself has casino on the first floor, a restaurant on the second (with breakfast), and a pool on the rooftop.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear RC from San Francisco,
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Old San Juan is a great walkable city so you can burn the calories from the many Restaurant experiences just steps away. However, the city also has on going free Trolleys that you can step in / out at any time during many of the site stops which basically covers all corners of Historic Old San Juan. Seems like you also explored around the island in car. Look forward to your return.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Background: my husband and I are from New York City. Dine out often at really nice restaurants. I don't really care for fast food or chain restaurants. I appreciate the finer things but am not a snob. We've been to other Carribean destinations as well as American and European destinations, but no place extraordinarily exotic.

We stayed here from April 12 - 15, 2013 in room 525. The ONLY reason I didn't give the hotel a fifth star was because of the small window size in our room. Even though the view was partially picturesque and partially a parking garage, I would have liked some more natural sunlight to stream in. Other than that, the complimentary Starbucks in room coffee, Dasani water bottles (perfect for taking around town), exemplary staff and overall cleanliness of the hotel made it well worth every penny. The hotel breakfast buffet is a little pricey considering you can go outside the hotel and spend less for a much more delicious gourmet meal. However, if you're in a rush, like we were to catch the morning departure of our El Yunce rain forest tour, its an excellent option since the food was absolutely fresh, plentiful, clean and surprisingly tasty for a buffet breakfast! The only other restaurant we tried that was "inside" the hotel was the Chigago Burger one and, again, we were pleasantly surprised! The chicken sandwich we each got, with fries, onion rings, and pina coladas were quite a few notches better than average. Not 5 star gourmet eats, but really really delicious. I was expecting a Ruby Tuesday/RedRobin style food, but this place surprised me. Again, perfect for that night that you're too tired to go far for food but don't want to eat gross frozen food. And the night we went there was a live performance that was really, really great! Overall I would say I will never, ever stay in another hotel in San Juan. Ever. The only thing I would do differently is upgrade to a better room with a view/ bigger window.

PS This is NOT a resort. Its a really great base of operations. An above average place to sleep, shower, recover and move on to your next activity. The pool is small, and the beaches are not walking distance. But the purpose of our trip wasn't pool/beach lounging. It was sightseeing, eating and ease of travel, which this hotel was perfect for. If you want a beach or big pool look elsewhere.

PPS I can't say enough good things about the concierge, front desk staff or cleaning staff.

PPPS Restaurants we ate at were ALL OUTSTANDING - Arrival Day 1 Lunch Punto De Vista, Day 1 Dinner Chicago Burger, Day 2 Brunch Cuatro Sombres, Day 2 Dinner Flavors of San Juan Foodie Walking Dinner Tour, Day 3 Breakfast Hotel Buffet (not outstanding just really great), Day 3 Lunch Cafe Puerto Rico, Day 3 Dinner Toro Salao, Departure Day 4 Breakfast Cafecultura.

Room Tip: If you're not picky about a view then get whichever is available. If you are partial to views or...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear guest from NY.
Love your post. Really detailed and straight forward. Thanks for the compliments about our staff. It will certainly be shared. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and explored Old San Juan. For your next visit, you probably have another 100+ different restaurants to try, all walking distance. Like, Marmalade, Cafe St. Germain, Dragonfly, Raices and many more, all unique and fantastic. We look forward to having you back here soon.

Been to Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!