“Solid Sheraton at a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Brumbaugh Street | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #17 of 47 hotels in San Juan
San Francisco, California
“Solid Sheraton at a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you're looking to explore Old San Juan, then this is the place for you. Once you hand over the car to the valet, you can walk all the way to the forts. Do take summer heat into consideration though. There's a CVS or Walgreens a block away as well.

Commuting to the rest of San Juan is ok. Only one major road out but it was never congested while I was there. All the usual caveats of driving in PR apply.

The hotel itself has casino on the first floor, a restaurant on the second (with breakfast), and a pool on the rooftop.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear RC from San Francisco,
We thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Old San Juan is a great walkable city so you can burn the calories from the many Restaurant experiences just steps away. However, the city also has on going free Trolleys that you can step in / out at any time during many of the site stops which basically covers all corners of Historic Old San Juan. Seems like you also explored around the island in car. Look forward to your return.

1,153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Background: my husband and I are from New York City. Dine out often at really nice restaurants. I don't really care for fast food or chain restaurants. I appreciate the finer things but am not a snob. We've been to other Carribean destinations as well as American and European destinations, but no place extraordinarily exotic.

We stayed here from April 12 - 15, 2013 in room 525. The ONLY reason I didn't give the hotel a fifth star was because of the small window size in our room. Even though the view was partially picturesque and partially a parking garage, I would have liked some more natural sunlight to stream in. Other than that, the complimentary Starbucks in room coffee, Dasani water bottles (perfect for taking around town), exemplary staff and overall cleanliness of the hotel made it well worth every penny. The hotel breakfast buffet is a little pricey considering you can go outside the hotel and spend less for a much more delicious gourmet meal. However, if you're in a rush, like we were to catch the morning departure of our El Yunce rain forest tour, its an excellent option since the food was absolutely fresh, plentiful, clean and surprisingly tasty for a buffet breakfast! The only other restaurant we tried that was "inside" the hotel was the Chigago Burger one and, again, we were pleasantly surprised! The chicken sandwich we each got, with fries, onion rings, and pina coladas were quite a few notches better than average. Not 5 star gourmet eats, but really really delicious. I was expecting a Ruby Tuesday/RedRobin style food, but this place surprised me. Again, perfect for that night that you're too tired to go far for food but don't want to eat gross frozen food. And the night we went there was a live performance that was really, really great! Overall I would say I will never, ever stay in another hotel in San Juan. Ever. The only thing I would do differently is upgrade to a better room with a view/ bigger window.

PS This is NOT a resort. Its a really great base of operations. An above average place to sleep, shower, recover and move on to your next activity. The pool is small, and the beaches are not walking distance. But the purpose of our trip wasn't pool/beach lounging. It was sightseeing, eating and ease of travel, which this hotel was perfect for. If you want a beach or big pool look elsewhere.

PPS I can't say enough good things about the concierge, front desk staff or cleaning staff.

PPPS Restaurants we ate at were ALL OUTSTANDING - Arrival Day 1 Lunch Punto De Vista, Day 1 Dinner Chicago Burger, Day 2 Brunch Cuatro Sombres, Day 2 Dinner Flavors of San Juan Foodie Walking Dinner Tour, Day 3 Breakfast Hotel Buffet (not outstanding just really great), Day 3 Lunch Cafe Puerto Rico, Day 3 Dinner Toro Salao, Departure Day 4 Breakfast Cafecultura.

Room Tip: If you're not picky about a view then get whichever is available. If you are partial to views or...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear guest from NY.
Love your post. Really detailed and straight forward. Thanks for the compliments about our staff. It will certainly be shared. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and explored Old San Juan. For your next visit, you probably have another 100+ different restaurants to try, all walking distance. Like, Marmalade, Cafe St. Germain, Dragonfly, Raices and many more, all unique and fantastic. We look forward to having you back here soon.
Mineral Wells, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This old hotel is downtown within walking distance to many of the attractions. The restaurants are very close and you can experience the local cuisine, which is very good. The streets are very narrow in front of the hotel and all over Old San Juan. They have buses going to the rain Forest as well.

Room Tip: some of the rooms face the parking garage so be sure to ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Joy from Texas,
Thanks for sharing your feedback here. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you back here soon.
Camarillo, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked at this hotel because of the positive reviews I have read and here's my own input:
disadvantages:
1. we checked in past 1 pm, our rooms were not ready. they told us to wait for 3 more hours.
2. I asked for an ocean view, all I got was an obstructed view. I saw more roofs than the ocean....
3. the beach towels are limited to two. I asked for another 1 cuz we were traveling with my kid and they told me I will be charged extra.
4. I constantly have to ask them for more towels - they keep on giving me 2. I basically have to ask my husband and my daughter to step out of the room so that housekeeping will see there's 3 of us and therefore, I need 3 towels
5. at night, they have a number of homeless people roaming around on the streets but they cause no harm
advantages:
1. the hotel is walking distance from carnival's terminal. Check out was at 12 pm but you can leave them your luggages while you wait for your boarding time
2. the hotel is right across from another boat terminal - where you can take the boat to the other side of the island so you can visit the bacardi's plant. It is worth the tour - they give you vouchers for 2 drinks - and the tour is free!!!
3. the hotel is also walking distance from CVS. We would go there to buy our drinks and snacks and our CVS cards work!
4. the hotel is walking distance from the mall, the souvenir shops and one of the forts.
5. the location of this hotel is far better than the hotels located by the beach. the hotels by the beach are nice but the surroundings are an eyesore, there were numerous buildings that are closed/boarded up...it's not like a tourist spot.

Room Tip: (1) avoid taking taxis - take the free bus to take you to the bus terminal. Then take another bus t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest from California,
Thanks for sharing your experience here and providing such a detailed list. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay although regret the late check-out and I also don't understand why it was a hassle to get extra towels. We appreciate you taking time to share this feedback. We hope you all enjoyed your Carnival cruise and that we may see you here many more times in the future.
Garfield, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is convenient to downtown, and you'll be able to walk to many attractions. A rental car company is located right there too. Taxi is a short trip to the pier for cruisers. Stayed here with my dad on a southern Caribbean cruise and we really enjoyed it. The club rooms are worth the extra money. Service was great, rooms very comfortable. We had no complaints and would stay here again. In fact, I've sent many of my travel clients here for short stays.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest from Arkansas,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience and the nice referrals to our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope you also enjoyed your cruise and we look forward to your next visit.
Ft Worth, tx
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

room was nice, lobby was nice. No bar, restaurant closed early. Staff was just okay. the Casino wasn't much to see. Roof pool was lovely, and the beds very cozy. The hertz car rental was in house, although not very friendly. Senor Frogs is just around the corner, but it was the most boring Senor Frogs I have ever been to. Watching the Cruise ships while having breakfast was a great moment.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear guest from Texas,
Thanks for sharing your feedback with us here. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. My guess is that you probably stayed here on a very slow night because we seldom close early any outlets. Old San Juan and this property is quite busy 24 / 7 all year round. We hope to see you back here soon.
San Fernando, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Upon check-in they didn't have my company's credit card info. The first night was the only night I received mouth wash. The hot water takes over 5 minutes to warm up. I stayed twice. The first time the Internet did not work, but the front desk was able to help. The second time the Internet did not work, and when I tried to call the front desk no one picked up. When I asked the front desk attendant why no one picked up, he said everyone had gone home, yet there were at least three employees hanging around the frond desk area. The TV remote did not work half the time. The next morning of my second stay, my room key would not work with the elevator, even though I was not due to check out for another week. When I checked out, I tried making a reservation for a second stay but was told I could not make a reservation through the front desk. I had to call a special Reservations number. Who does this? Overall I expected much more from the Sheraton. I was told that it's normal, as the service in Puerto Rico is very poor. So why is their motto, "Puerto Rico does it better"?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear James from San Fernando,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share valuable feedback with us. We sincerely regret the issues you describe here experienced during your stay. Every point you mention is valid and we should have prevented. I can only tell you that we consistently deliver the quality service the brand is known for and also shared in this platform and are committed to ensuring that nobody receives poor service from any interaction with our Associates. We are also currently making significant upgrades to our product. Anyhow, we hope we do have another opportunity to change your experience for the better. If you travel often to Puerto Rico, please send us a note to sales@sheratonoldsanjuan.com in order to verify if you qualify for our Corporate rate agreement.

Been to Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!