Background: my husband and I are from New York City. Dine out often at really nice restaurants. I don't really care for fast food or chain restaurants. I appreciate the finer things but am not a snob. We've been to other Carribean destinations as well as American and European destinations, but no place extraordinarily exotic.
We stayed here from April 12 - 15, 2013 in room 525. The ONLY reason I didn't give the hotel a fifth star was because of the small window size in our room. Even though the view was partially picturesque and partially a parking garage, I would have liked some more natural sunlight to stream in. Other than that, the complimentary Starbucks in room coffee, Dasani water bottles (perfect for taking around town), exemplary staff and overall cleanliness of the hotel made it well worth every penny. The hotel breakfast buffet is a little pricey considering you can go outside the hotel and spend less for a much more delicious gourmet meal. However, if you're in a rush, like we were to catch the morning departure of our El Yunce rain forest tour, its an excellent option since the food was absolutely fresh, plentiful, clean and surprisingly tasty for a buffet breakfast! The only other restaurant we tried that was "inside" the hotel was the Chigago Burger one and, again, we were pleasantly surprised! The chicken sandwich we each got, with fries, onion rings, and pina coladas were quite a few notches better than average. Not 5 star gourmet eats, but really really delicious. I was expecting a Ruby Tuesday/RedRobin style food, but this place surprised me. Again, perfect for that night that you're too tired to go far for food but don't want to eat gross frozen food. And the night we went there was a live performance that was really, really great! Overall I would say I will never, ever stay in another hotel in San Juan. Ever. The only thing I would do differently is upgrade to a better room with a view/ bigger window.
PS This is NOT a resort. Its a really great base of operations. An above average place to sleep, shower, recover and move on to your next activity. The pool is small, and the beaches are not walking distance. But the purpose of our trip wasn't pool/beach lounging. It was sightseeing, eating and ease of travel, which this hotel was perfect for. If you want a beach or big pool look elsewhere.
PPS I can't say enough good things about the concierge, front desk staff or cleaning staff.
PPPS Restaurants we ate at were ALL OUTSTANDING - Arrival Day 1 Lunch Punto De Vista, Day 1 Dinner Chicago Burger, Day 2 Brunch Cuatro Sombres, Day 2 Dinner Flavors of San Juan Foodie Walking Dinner Tour, Day 3 Breakfast Hotel Buffet (not outstanding just really great), Day 3 Lunch Cafe Puerto Rico, Day 3 Dinner Toro Salao, Departure Day 4 Breakfast Cafecultura.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel is situated in the heart of historic and romantic old San Juan district. We are ideally located on the waterfront, just a few moments from the docking point of grand cruise ships. We are literally "Steps from Everything" as you can walk to over 200 restaurants, cafe's, pubs, shops & much more. There is also a secluded beach 0.7 miles / 13 minute walk across Capitol - Senate house in Old San Juan or a 1.1 mile scenic walk to pristine Escambron beach which has food kiosks etc. Discover why Old San Juan is the Caribbean's most visited city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Media 8, Inc., Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Odigeo, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire and Low Cost Holidays so you can book your Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel And Casino
- Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel San Juan
- Sheraton San Juan
- San Juan Sheraton
- Old San Juan Sheraton