“Great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino

You added Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Brumbaugh Street | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free
Ranked #17 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
The World
“Great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

As an SPG member, I chose this Sheraton over likewise priced hotels because of the service I always receive at SPG chains. Also, based on the location I knew it was central to everything I would be doing in El Viejo San Juan. I was greeted as soon as my taxi pulled up and my bags were retrieved promptly. The lobby area was clear and I went right up to the desk. I was somewhat disappointed to see the Casino as I knew this would add about 20% of fees to my bill and I was not wrong. I got my room key #708 and the bell boy took me to my room. He gave me a brief overview of the layout, offered to get me ice and left. As mentioned by previous reviewers, the hotel is located to where the cruise ships dock and therefore experiences high traffic. As a result, the rooms look worn. I had a great view of Pier 2 from my window and spent hours just gazing outside. The hotel was pleasant enough, service was great but compared to say the Sheraton at the Convention Centre, this one lacks the elegance and class of the latter. Nevertheless based solely on location, I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for being one of our loyal SPG members. Gov't. Tax on island is 9% for non Casino properties and 11% for Casino properties. We are glad you certainly enjoyed staying at the heart of Old San Juan. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed here and although I enjoyed the area in which the hotel was situated, I was not encouraged by the individuals rooms. The moment I entered the hotel room for the first time and saw the bathroom, I was disappointed to see a Sheraton look like...this. The sheets were dirty (there were spots on the flat & fitted sheets) and the bathroom tiles needed a severe upgrade. The carpet also needed to be pulled out and replaced. Great area...just needs updated rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Customer from Vancouver,
Thanks for the feedback. We regret that your room here seemed outdated in some areas. We are currently taking steps for mayor exciting improvements to all guest rooms this year. Thanks again for your support and hope we may have the opportunity to host you again soon.
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We just returned from Puerto Rico last night. Our four night stay at the hotel was GREAT! The room was very nice, very clean! The staff, super friendly and professional, the cost for everything was reasonable. John, the bellhop, greeted us and took very good care of us while there. Only drawback.... and this is little but could have been an issue. The tubs need non slip mats. Tubs are VERY slippery when you step in to shower. I would recommend this spot as a home base while in San Juan area! We will be back!

Room Tip: If you get an option, get a balcony room directly above the 2nd floor restaurant and patio.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Saludos Paul from Salt Lake City!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here. We truly appreciate your compliments and will certainly share with John our bellman. We will look into the reasons why your guest room did not have a tub mat. Hope to see you back soon.

I look forward to visiting Salt Lake in the winter someday
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here for six days for a conference in early January. The location is top notch - old city charm within easy walking distance and water views of the harbor. Our room did face the water - but even if it didn't, the pool, the cafe and burger restaurant in the front of the hotel are pleasant places to sit. The staff and front desk people were courteous and polite; the room attendants (their English was limited) were likewise very accommodating. Casino is available but removed from the side (common) entrance. Many restaurants, souvenir shops, coffee bars and street vendors are nearby. And the concierge was quite helpful, too.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a small suite facing the water (to the south) and it was worth it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Hannah from New York,
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here. Very thorough. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here while attending a meeting. We hope the weather in NY improves and that we may have the honor of your visit again soon.
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We only stayed here one night on our last night of our trip - was a convenient hotel to stay in to walk to the historical forts. Was fun to see the cruise ships in port across the street. Didn't go to the casino but did enjoy being on the rooftop deck overlooking the bay - a very pretty view! Our room didn't have a view, but that is ok - we spent most of our time exploring Old San Juan. The only downside was that our king room wasn't ready when we arrived so rather than wait 2 hours we went with two doubles, which was fine. We did valet parking with our rental car and they were very quick at getting it for us in the morning for our drive to the airport - overall a good option!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Customer from Iowa,
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate that you shared your experience here. Sorry the King bed was not available at time of arrival. Hope you had a pleasant trip on all the places visited and look forward to your next visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is in a perfect location, and the staff is friendly, but we were not happy with our rooms. The site described black out drapes, there were none. There is a musty smell throughtout the hotel, and a lot of deferred maintenance; stained carpets, dirty ice maker filters, worn furniture. We stayed 4 nights; our first room had a broken bed, and no working bath vent. We complained, and had our choice of an identical room, or a larger interior room on the 8th floor. We choose size over view. The bed was fine, the bath had a vent, it was good UNTIL the noise from the gym on the ninth floor started, the dropping of weights echoed throughtout the evening. We were also next to an engine room with intermittant loud noises eminating from it. I enjoyed Puerto Rico and the people, I enjoyed the free morning breakfast. With maintenance this hotel could be great instead of just average. I also sensed some bias from the manager regarding the room being booked through a third party as a reason that it wasn't the best available.

Room Tip: Ask to check out the room first
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear guest,
We appreciate your feedback and regret you had unpleasant experience with your room. We also certainly value our relationships with all 3rd parties. Room renovations are scheduled for this year and we hope we can have you back to experience it. Glad you enjoyed Old San Juan.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I chose this hotel last minute, and we could not have made a better choice. The location is great, right next to many good restaurants and the old Spanish part of the city. Even though it was not directly on the beach, I enjoyed the ambiance of the old city and the staff. Plus, there are plenty of beaches within walking distance.

In particular, I would like to thank Alejandro Rios and Sibelia Castro for their hospitality. Both had many suggestions on places to eat and things to do. The whole staff was great, but we genuinely looked forward to seeing and speaking with these two. They were always friendly and helpful, and I will miss seeing them! Gracias mis amigos, y espero que nos vemos muy pronto!

The only non positive thing I have to say was that we did not have a great view from our room. However, this did not matter because we spent most of our time outside of the hotel, as any tourist should do. I thoroughly recommend this hotel, and there is no doubt that I will be returning soon.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Mr. Alejo Stein,
Thanks for the great comments about our Associates. We will certainly share with them. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to host you here again soon.

Been to Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!