“Perfect location in Old San Juan” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino

You added Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Brumbaugh Street | Old San Juan, San Juan 00901, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Oakland, California
“Perfect location in Old San Juan”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel is fine in every way, but it's main value is that it's located in Old San Juan. Our rooms had partial views of the bay, which was nice. The hotel isn't charming at all and there is a casino on the ground floor, so if you are looking for a cool, romantic getaway, this isn't it. If you want a full service hotel, with gym and pool, this is a good option.

High marks for the front desk staff, who moved us to a much nicer room!

Don't do the hotel's breakfast buffet. Get out and enjoy the many restaurants within just a few minutes walk.

Room Tip: There is a huge parking garage behind the hotel. Ask to face the other direction (facing the cruise...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear guest from California,
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and our location. Old San Juan has so much to see and do, all just walking distance from our property. Hope to see you here soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The hotel is perfectly located for touring Old San Juan. The staff greeted us promptly, were very friendly and welcoming, and worked to accommodate our early arrival at the hotel. We asked Pedro, one of the many helpful valets, for suggestions on where to go & where to eat. He provided great tips and we had one of the best meals at Punto de Vista. He checked in with us the next day to see if we had enjoyed ourselves - nice personal touch. The room was beautiful - very clean and the bed was very comfortable. We hope to return to San Juan and we will definitely stay at this Sheraton!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Heidi from Canada,
Thanks for sharing your experience and the nice compliment about Pedro. We will share with him. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and the dinner in Old San Juan. Hope to greet you back soon. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We arrived late, check in was typical. The room smelled a bit musty, but that was gone by morning. Great beds, very comfy. Remote for tv does not work well, but that's my only complaint. Great location for a cruise.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your visit. Hope you enjoyed your cruise as well.
Hudson, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My friends and I stayed here for our annual girls weekend. In many respects, particularly the location of the hotel, this is a four or five star property, but there was a significant issue during my stay that was not addressed at all, let alone properly.

I was assigned a room on the 3rd floor, and as soon as I left the elevator, I was hit by the noise of music from a party in one of the function rooms on the 2nd floor. In my room, the music was clearly audible, not just a vague noise. The bass was loud enough that it was rattling items on the desk. The room itself was in good shape, and the bed and linens were spotless. I called to ask for a different room, and was told it was not possible. The man on the phone assured me that there would be no other "events" during my stay and that the music would stop by midnight - neither statement was accurate. I got to listen to "Gangnam Style" as I brushed my teeth around 1 am (not exactly a time when one wants to hear "Hey, sexy lady!").

From a location perspective, this property is unbeatable. It is right across from Pier 2, within easy walking distance of restaurants and shopping, and steps away (in either direction) from the free tourist tram that runs around Old San Juan, stopping at or near all destinations of interest. The hotel was decorated for Christmas and was lovely. This property is nonsmoking, and contains a casino with both machine and table games, also nonsmoking. My friends and I enjoy poker, and it was nice to sit and play a proper game without being driven away by smoke.

Unfortunately, while the second night was fine, the loud music was back for the third (final) night. There's nothing worse than trying to get some sleep before an early flight and being kept up by loud music. I asked again to be moved, and was instead given a pair of $0.02 ear plugs, which were entirely ineffective. The staff couldn't have cared less about the issue, which was a major detriment to enjoying my vacation. Two of my friends were also on the 3rd floor, both of whom are pursuing redress options, while the third was up on the 5th floor and heard nothing.

I can't say I'll never stay in this property again, because the location is terrific, but I would stay here again only if I was guaranteed a room on at least the 5th floor. From a possible 5 star rating, I have to dock one star for the noise, which was beyond any reasonable level and occurred on 2/3 of my nights at this property, and a second for the indifferent response. I stay in Sheratons frequently (and am Starwood Gold), and have never experience a problem of this magnitude, nor such a total lack of resolution, in any other stay with this brand, so I do consider it a property-specific anomaly.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the harbor have the best view, followed by those on the interior courtyard. Some rooms...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Maria from New Hampshire,
Thanks for the detailed and objective feedback. We are sorry you had some issues with noise during the night. We do all our best to avoid evening events with music in that 2nd floor ballroom but due to the demand of XMAS parties, all spaces were utilized. Anyhow, glad you enjoyed your visit to Old San Juan and hope we can host you and your girlfriends again.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

As I arrived late, my only interaction was with the night front desk agent. He was friendly and efficient once he was able to get off a call.

The room was adequate and clean. As an SPG Gold, I was offered a 4pm late checkout.

Convenient for exploring old San Juan, which is definitely worth checking out. The old city needs a congestion charging zone to reduce the number of cars zipping through, but is definitely worth taking a day to explore.

Room Tip: Ocean side might have cruise ship noise such as loud music. If you plan to go to bed early, avoid t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Armando E, Director of Sales at Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest from Minnesota,
Thanks for sharing your feedback. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to accomodate your special request. Hope you also enjoyed our warm tropical climate. Look forward to your next visit
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We booked a night here to start our trip to celebrate our 30th anniversary. Turned out to be a great choice, very friendly staff and they were able to accommodate our request for an early check-in. Clean, comfortable room with an absolutely great view of the cruise ship terminal across the street. Staff was very helpful and happy to store our luggage prior our departure for our cruise. I highly recommend this hotel. Here's a tip: during your stay be sure to try the mofongo at one of the many nearby Old San Juan restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest from Rockville, MD
Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Also great tip on the "mofongo" which is one of the island most popular dish prepared with smashed green plantains. (CARBS!) One of the key advantages of being in the heart of Old San Juan is the vast selection of restaurants of all kinds. Hope to see you all back soon.
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We were very happy with our stay at the Sheraton. We had a room with a balcony and lovely views of the cruise ships and the fort. Our room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff were pleasant, no complaints, would most definitely stay there again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lyn, Thank you for the kind compliments. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope we get to welcome you back soon.

Been to Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!