“Better Than It Looks..” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
NYC
“Better Than It Looks..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

I frequent Puerto Rico and must have passed this place on the street a million times but never had the desire to stay there. At the last minute, it was my only option so I booked it. I must give credit it's a lot better than I was expecting.

I arrived early and was given a room without even asking for an early check in. I was up on the 8th floor in one of the Club rooms. It's true that the decor is on the corporate side but for the most part it's kept very well. Everything in my room was in perfect working order. The bathroom was spotless with an abundance of hot water. The beds are great, they really oughta rethink those bedspreads though. Pillows get big thumbs up. (I'm very particular about beds and pillows.)

I was very into my small patio. The TV had all kinds of cool extras which I did not utilize at all, but it's the thought that counts. Every day I had a mountain of clean towels waiting when I got back from the beach. The air conditioner worked flawlessly, no noise perfect temperature. I really have no complaints about the entire weekend whatsoever for that reason I will rate it above average.

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
home
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2006

We stayed here because we got a great deal, air fare and hotel for 5 days 4 nights. It was and average hotel, rooms were very clean, staff very hospitable. They were very helpful giving us information on where to go and what to see. We took taxi service while we were there, it was not that expensive. We were not looking for the moon here. Only thing they should get is a better restaurant, it was decent however. There are many different places to go to eat and you can improvise.

• Stayed January 2006
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in. If you plan to have a nights sleep DO NOT GO. We had just travelled from the UK going on a cruise the following. The Band downstairs played till 3am and we got no sleep !!!!. The management were of no help.
I will be complaining to Celebrity about this hotel and will never go there again.

• Stayed March 2006
branford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

Being a busy 3 star hotel, we weren't expecting much but were suprised.

For openers, the staff was outstanding. Everyone from the front desk management to the waitstaff was welcoming and friendly. A warm greeting at every turn. The front desk was on point and did everything they could to make sure we were happy with our room which was clean, pleasantly fresh with supplies and all appliances in working order. I think I could have brought a pet Anaconda and they would have been accomodating with a smile.

The first floor is host to a casino which allows smoking so our first impression was that this hotel was kind of seedy with typical casino decor. Frankly, it is, but knowing that the staff was doing their best to make our stay enjoyable was comforting. The casino crowd seemed to be mostly locals but I found playing with them to be quite entertaining. Low minumum bets ($2 roulette) allows even the first-timer to give it a whirl. No craps table though.

This is a city hotel one block from the beach surrounded by all types of cuisine and shopping at all price levels. We had some terrific meals in OSJ and Condado vicinity. The hotel breakfast isn't gourmet by any means. However, it was cheap at under $20 for the two of us w/tip and again, our waiter proved to be such a nice guy aiming to please us, we looked past it but we ate out the following morning.

The pool was clean and padded loungechairs were in order with fresh towels. The gym is compact with Cybex machines, dumbbells and clean. We witnessed the attendee do a full scrub of the pool deck as well as hand-scrub every chair (Poor guy). Although, the pool bar is only open on weekends, the written pool policy was BYO unless the bar was open. Most hotels strictly enforce a "hotel products only" rule. Aside from the city hustle/bustle below, it was peaceful being high up on the sunny pool deck. Having been to the beach the previous days while at another hotel, we didn't mind the seclusion of the roof top which only had a handful of guests.

Look...this hotel is surrounded by buildings on all sides so in my opinion, there isn't a great view to be had. Most rooms have a view of someone elses rooftop. I wouldn't choose to spend a week with the fam at this location but for 2 nights with my girlfriend, it was fine and allowed us to experience authentic P.R. cuisine, nightlife and shopping within easy walking distance. Otherwise, I think it is hard to find a beach in San Juan that catches the imagination to begin with so I wouldn't dock points on this hotel for its location. It is still close to the beach.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2006

We were extremely disappointed in this Hotel if you can call it that. It isnt any better than a crappy Motel. The rooms are so old and dated, the beach is not part of the hotel so you dont get the luxury of chairs and refreshments at the beach. the Pool is an ugly rectangular shaped roof top pool with no bar that is open. there is a bar set up but they never use it. There is nothing appealing about this hotel. Dont stay here.

• Stayed February 2006
Round Lake, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2006

We stayed at the Radisson on Jan. 13th and 14th. we were a little hesitant after reading some of the reviews on this sight. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful and had us checked in, in no time. We got to our room and it was just as nice as any Sheraton or Marriot I have stayed in. The hotel is in a great location in a residential neighborhood about a block from the beach. Lots of restaurants and some shopping in the area. We payed under two hundred a night and this is high season, so for a hotel of this caliber it was a steal. For the person who wrote they overlooked a Burger King parking lot, what do you expect? Your in a residential neighborhood. The Marriot down the street is about a hundred more a night for the same view and if you want an ocean view at the Marriot you will pay about double what the Radisson costs. The swimming pool on the roof was peaceful and relaxing and the bar tender made the best daiquiris. All in all this is a great bargain for a pre or post cruise stay.

• Stayed January 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2006

For the four days that i was staying at the hotel, it was very good. I had a great time with the whole family. Especially on the area of the casino. The best part is that everything is around the block. The beaches and stores and great restraunts as well. The service at the hotel itself was excellent very helpful and on time with things. I will stay there for my next christmas stay.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino San Juan? Share your experiences!