“All good except location” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1369 Ashford Ave., San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #30 of 46 hotels in San Juan
Harlingen
“All good except location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel was nice but the location was not. We had a suite with a balcony and the balcony looked over the neighborhood next to us. It was not the best looking area. There was not a working lock on the balcony door. We were on the 3rd floor so that probably wasn't really a problem but didn't make me feel safe. The room and breakfast were good. No complaints about that. This hotel also has a casino and everyone in there was very nice.Up the street about 2 blocks from this hotel, the area was much nicer. The beach in San Juan was not that great. Very rough.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Ann D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino San Juan, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments about the balcony door, so we can continually improve our services.
We appreciate your business and we look forward to your next stay.

675 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I found the hotel to be old and not good at all. The fixtures and air conditioner did not let us sleep.
We could not believe the fixtures were rusty in the bathroom.
the only thing good that we found is that is located in Condado, a nice area, that is about it, that we like. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Ann D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino San Juan, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are delighted to read that you liked our convenient location. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments about facilities and condition of the room, so we can continually improve our services. We are currently implementing enhancements to our room product. In fact, we are currently renovating our Ambassador Club rooms. Do not hesitate to contact us at madavila@ambassadorplaza.com to discuss your stay further. We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My family and myself stayed for 8 nights and 9 days at the Radisson Ambassador back in June starting on the 25th through July 3rd. After some booking issues which I addressed on a previous post and which I solved by cancelling my original reservation with the hotel and booking with Otel.com at a much significant discount I rate this hotel.

When we first arrived we were greeted very cordially by the front desk attendant, she had a great smile. She checked us in very quickly pointed out the various amenities the hotel had to offer, gave us four vouchers for free drinks at the hotel disco and a couple of free casino games. Our rooms also came with free Wi-fi internet which was a big plus for me and my family who like to log on to watch Netflix, email, etc.

1) A 4 category in service.

2) accommodations a 3 1/2 as both our rooms on the 5th floor did not include a mini-fridge. and the room decor may need some updating. other than that, the the beds were firm but comfortable as well as the pillows. The A/C worked perfectly specially since it was really hot and muggy with unsettled rainy weather pattern, rooms were kept very clean and had access to balcony facing Burger King.

3) In the category of STAFF amiability the hotel gets a 5 star from me and my family. All the staff which I am sorry to say I forgot their names since it was about 5 months ago were really friendly and genuine. Would greet us with a smile no matter the time of the and location in the building from the lobby to the rooftop pool and from the housekeeping staff to the managers and Casino attendants.

4) Hotel Location gets a 4.5 star as it is right on Ashford Street and close to clubs and restaurants and main attractions such as San Felipe Castle and Old San Juan. You can catch both city bus for a fee and free shuttles that take you to these destinations as well as cabs all in front of the hotel :-)!

5) The pool is not huge but definitely good enough for a few laps and when we ever went up, it was never crowded and was clean during our stay.

6) Also used the Gym which is next to the pool and accessible using your bedroom key. it had enough free weights, 1 or 2 tread mills or elliptical cardio machines as well as two TV's. I used quite a few times and was able to get a nice work out with what was there. no complaints...when i vacation exercise is a priority but not the number one priority.

I agree with most that the hotel could use a bit of a facelift. But also recognize the great value and service my family and I received during our stay here. In what the hotel lacks in esthetics it it made up with the friendly attentive staff.

Thanks for making our stay there a comfortable and memorable one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I just got married on October 4th and were going to be leaving on our honeymoon, a Carnival Caribbean cruise out of San Juan, so we stayed here for the night at a rate of $155/night. We booked in advance with a credit card for a king room, but upon arrival we were told that there were no king rooms available only double rooms. What? This is our HONEYMOON. And the first night of it at that. We reserved months ago with a credit card, why couldn't they honor our wishes? The clerk was very short in a "Nope. No more rooms" sort of way despite us explaining the situation, and offered no apology whatsoever.

The hotel was going through renovations but still seemed very run down. Our room was very musty smelling like it had been wet. I've been told by other travelers that a lot of hotels are now favoring having tile or hard flooring in the moister climates for this reason. This place definitely needs to rethink its flooring if that's the smell that's going to be consistently present.

Both the sink and the shower drains were clogged, the beds were wobbly, and we had a little "guest", a German cockroach, just chilling right there on the wall next to the beds. A pleasant surprise though, there were NO bedbugs.

We were given two free drink coupons upon check-in with no other verbiage or explanation on them, and went downstairs to the bar to redeem them. The bartender was stressed out and we couldn't hear him over the very loud live band, but asked what we'd like. Figuring we're in Puerto Rico, home of Bacardi and therefore home of the Mojito, we asked for that, but were told that it's top shelf and the tickets were not eligible. Okay...I guess that's fine, what can we get with it then?

The bartender then gave us two plastic cups filled with mystery cocktails, one brown, and one clear, with no explanation as to what they were, and with the band being so loud, we couldn't get his attention after he handed them to us. I think one was a rum and coke (it wasn't good), and the other, we tried to identify it and couldn't. I think it was vodka and sprite? Still not sure.

As an apology (I guess? The clerk didn't say so) for the botched room reservation we got breakfast in the Ambassador suite area, which was a "continental plus" style breakfast, mostly just fruit, breads, and cereals but with some Eggo waffles. I appreciate the gesture but I really just wanted them to honor our room reservation we'd made months ago. On a credit card. On our honeymoon.

Will not be staying here again, absolutely not. No no no. No.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Ann D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino San Juan, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We regret to hear about your disappointment in the room you received. We attempt to fulfill each of our guest’s requests to the best of our ability. We appreciate your feedback about the condition of your room and Food & Beverage service. We have passed on your comments and concerns to our Food & Beverage department so they may address this situation with the team and ensure that we deliver outstanding service and presentation. To discuss your stay further, please contact us at madavila@ambassadorplaza.com. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and we hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I were on our honeymoon and booked a night at the Radisson Ambassador plaza for the night we flew into San Juan. The room was over $150/night, so we were expecting a rather nice place. Well.. now I know why there were plenty of rooms available...

We walked into the lobby and were hit with a wall of samba (salsa?) music coming from the live band in the tiny bar. Walked up to the lobby counter. Two people there. One guy wouldn't even make eye contact with us and mostly ignored us, the other was on the phone and kept us waiting and waiting. Great.

We had reserved a room with a king bed (it was our honeymoon). Once the desk person gets off the phone, he curtly tells me they "have no more kings left". Uh.. we *reserved* one.. for our *honeymoon*. Nope.. no kings left. Told in an attitude that made me feel like "take it or leave it". Well, that's just fantastic. So we took a room with two double beds instead. Not the end of the world, but it disintegrates all faith I have in the Radisson reservation system. Did I mention, it was nearly impossible to have a conversation with the desk person with the bar music drowning everything out?

Our room generally looked okay, but it was clear in need of renovation. Upon making our reservation, we were told that the hotel was undergoing renovations, but the noise would be constrained to daylight hours. That's all well and good. However, I didn't expect the room we would be given would look old and run down like this.

The beds.. Oh dear god, the beds were awful. They pitched and creaked like an army cot when we put our luggage on it. We felt compelled to check for bedbugs (and fortunately we didn't see telltale signs of this, but it did show us how dirty the room was).

The shower's drain was nearly fully clogged. A 10 minute shower had water above our ankles in the tub. The sink basin didn't drain much faster.

Fine.. so, were given "ambassador club" upgrades as a consolation (I think it was for that, which included breakfast the next morning... not sure since I couldn't hear the lobby guy talking to me). This included "two free drink coupons" for the bar. Headed down to the bar, where it was impossible to talk to the overworked (and grumpy) bartender. He told me the drink coupons weren't good for "top shelf" drinks (a mojito, in San Juan, is considered top shelf???). Fine.. just give us two of what these can get us. He gave us two rum drinks, one with cola, one with.. I don't know what it was, lemon lime water? We drank them, unimpressed, and decided to call it a night.

We took a quick look at the casino. Laughed, and left. Looked like they crammed a bunch of slot machines in a side room. The word "casino" was above the entrance in many incandescent lights like you'd see from the 1960's.

Free WiFi? Great! Well.. not so great, it kept timing out and failed to work. We resorted to tethering our cell phones for data.

The night's sleep was hard in those terrible beds, and the yelling of late night caballeros coming off their drunk at the La Casa Del Whopper 7 floors beneath our window. Next morning, we couldn't wait to be done with this place. We were greeted with a cockroach hugging our wall. Fantastic! Morbidly amused by what we paid for this place, we named the cockroach "Senor Radisson" and bid him "adios!".

The complimentary Ambassador club breakfast was a "continental plus" type of food. Was enough to slake our hunger, but it wasn't remarkable at all for the hotel price. I was amazed people pay extra for this, something the Hampton Inn would give everyone complimentary.

Not too much I can positive about this place, except... there were no bedbugs. Pathetic, huh?

For the same money, you can find much, much, nicer hotels in a better location. Won't be visiting this place, or *any* Radisson again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We apologize for the disappointing service you received from our staff. We appreciate your comments about the condition of the room and food and beverage service and presentation. We attempt to fulfill each of our guest’s requests to the best of our ability. Prior to your next stay, we welcome you to contact us so we may discuss your accommodations in detail. We also have passed on your comments and concerns to our Food & Beverage department so they may address this situation with the team and ensure that we deliver outstanding service and presentation. To discuss your stay further, please contact us at madavila@ambassadorplaza.com. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and we hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This hotel has a friendly staff, but when we went there was construction from 9 a.m. til 5 p.m. and when we inquired about the noise that sounded like it was right next door, I was told " yes it is on the web site. " Then on the Saturday the room next door had a party and people brought a cooker and some coolers and the noise lasted until about 1 a.m. The beach was close but the giant rocks made it dangerous to swim. The food in the area was not that good, we had a rental car and went to Isla Verde and it was a lot nicer area. Around the hotel are a lot of homeless people begging, the police a plentiful and I felt pretty safe. I stayed for 6 nights and wanted to leave after 2. The room needed work, found a used band aid next to the couch and every time you flushed the toilet the noise was so loud it would drown out the television and that would last about a full minute maybe more. The wifi is terrible kept cutting out and was hard to log on to. This was what they called a junior suite and the view from the balcony was of the parking lot and to the left was what looked like abandoned high rises with graffiti and one had a large palm tree growing out of about the 4th floor where a balcony used to be. There is a lounge with good latin music, all the people that go there are elderly and they all know each other, when my wife and I went to the restroom a couple moved our glasses and took our table. So I will not me going back there ever.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary Ann D, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino San Juan, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that our staff was friendly and assist you with your needs. We understand how important a quiet environment is and apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. We appreciate your constructive comments about the condition of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards. Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us and we hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Check-in fast & desk staff superb. Our suite was beautiful with a wonderful view. Housekeeping was top notch. Roof top pool was so relaxing with an even better view of the scenery. Magnificent sandy beach one block away. Central location couldn't have been better to drive to Old San Juan and surrounding areas. Walgreen's & fast food close by to grab a quick bite or forgotten travel needs. Hotel restaurant had superb service and good food. Fun bar & restaurant right across the street. Hotel casino kept us entertained in late evenings. Stayed 3 nights. Would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel & Casino San Juan? Share your experiences!