“Would Definately Return to the Condado Plaza” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$149 (USD)
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Daytona Beach
“Would Definately Return to the Condado Plaza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2007

We stayed at the Condado April 26-May 2 (just got back and still feel like we're on vacation). I, too, read a few negative reviews initially but was impressed about the hotel's concern for these reviews and just had a good feeling about it...so I took a chance and booked the room anyway.

We loved it! First of all, we had reserved a City Vista room, and since they are doing renovations on that tower of the hotel, they just decided (before we even arrived) to give us an ocean front room. The view was absolutely stunning...as was the room itself. It was EXACTLY how it looks online...minimalist but very nicely appointed...and the bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was huge, and although there was no tub, there was a see-through shower big enough for two (make sure you get in before you turn the shower on or it WILL leak on the floor). It had a refrigerator and a safe, both of which came in very handy.

The employees were all very attentive and made us feel at home...from the bar to the front desk to the restaurants...they were all very professional and truly seemed to enjoy their jobs.

Ok, so what were the issues we had? Our room had just been completed not long before and our phone was not hooked up yet...when I mentioned this to the front desk they immediately wanted to move us to another room, but since my husband and I had our cell phones we opted not to. And, one of the elevators was out of service for a couple of days.

Two more things...if you're looking for a huge beach to people-watch on, this hotel may not be for you. Because Condado is on the Atlantic side of the island, the water is rough and the hotel's beach lies against a lagoon on the west side of the hotel. It's a small beach, but very quaint, and more than roomy enough, I thought. And, there is a 24 hour Subway about 500 feet from the hotel in case you get super late-night munchies. Trust me, that comes in handy. (-:

Had a great time and would DEFINATELY stay there next trip!

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — No vending machines
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, May 9, 2007
I would like to thank you for your visit, and for taking the time to write this review. I am am glad that you enjoyed your stay. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate in contacting me. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@Luxuryresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
Puyallup, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

I had read all the reviews of the Condado Plaza Hotel and Casino after we booked so I was prepared for the worst. We stayed April 21-27 and I don't know if we got lucky or what but we didn't have the problems other people had. My sister stayed in a separate room and had the same opinion.

Rooms: The remodeled rooms were very nice, the glass shower did not leak at all although we did hear of others who had trouble, the safe did not work but the housekeeping manager who happened to be out in the hall had someone there within 5 minutes to reset it for us. Beds and pillows were comfortable, big towels, hairdryer, refrigerator, private balconies. Construction was going on across the way on the other tower but it was not that bothersome. We were in the ocean tower facing the other tower which was still not bad because you could still see the lagoon, and part of the beach, and the bridge, and all the lights at night.

Restaurants: They had four open at the time. Everything at their Italian restaurant was good - breakfast, the desserts, drinks. And we also ate a few times at the pool restaurant and were pleased with both the food and service. Drinks and food, while higher that what you would pay "at home", were no more expensive than what you would pay in any other resort. One of the guys at the Starbucks makes the best caramel lattes I've ever had - my sister sister could smell it all the way across the elevator. We did not eat at the Tony Roma's because we can get that at home and spent most of our time looking for local food.

Pool/Beach: We never saw more than maybe 20 people at the public beach so it wasn't crowded but we preferred the pool area as our son went up and down the waterslide literally for hours on end, plus there's the convenience of having food and drink right there if you're planning on spending the whole day at the pool.

General: We never had any issues with the elevators as others have mentioned. All of the employees were very friendly and helpful. There's an arcade for the kids, and ice cream at the Italian restaurant, huge fish tank in the lobby, at least two cash machines Very family-friendly.

• Liked — Pool, room, friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — Would have liked a restaurant with local food
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, May 4, 2007
I am glad that you had a great experience at our hotel. I thank you for your visit. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me. Best Regards, Henry Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

I went this past weekend for a girl’s weekend, and I would have to agree with some of the reviews, our room was renovated but we also heard that load thud every time the AC went on. Also in the morning’s we could hear the construction workers. Pillows had a weird smell that no one could figure out?? The worst part of the Hotel was the Beach, it's directly below an old bridge, so if you want to lay out all you hear is the sounds of Locals shouting or Honking there horns, not a fun way to relax. The beach was so bad, that we all ended up going to another beach on the Island. I believe that if the hotel continues to make improvements, and somehow can move the beach around to the other side, where no one can see them, then I would maybe consider going back.

• Liked — The rooms were nice and Modern
  • Disliked — Beach was bad
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2007

We stayed at the Condado on April 2-April6 2007. Our room wasnt ready so we went down to the pool area to eat lunch and they had no more ketchup. We werent told of a leisure time tour going on and if I had known I wouldnt of stayed there. My family was ignored and we were told that the beach chairs we wanted to sit on were reserved for the tour meanwhile we walked by and passed over 40 chairs that had towels,magazines,water bottles, frisbees and pool toys for the tour guests. We were told we could go the end of the pool area where there wasnt any table or umbrella for us. Meanwhile they had a whole pool exclusively for them. The best was a staff member came over to my kids and handed them a flyer to come to the pool area that night to watch a dive in movie at 8: 30 we went down to be told it was private. How do you think my kids felt? The experince of feeling ignored and mistreated is very unpleasant. I wouldnt recommend this hotel. When we checked out the woman didnt seem to care when I told her of our stay.

• Liked — the beach and pool. Nice room
  • Disliked — The leisure time tour going on
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Solution_Condado, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, April 19, 2007
I am very disappointed as well, by the impressions that you took of our hotel. I would like to apologize. I wish that you would have expressed your disappointment during your stay, so that we could have assisted you. I always put myself at the disposal of guest, and exhort them to contact me if they need any assistance. Once again, I apologize. Thank you for your comments. Best Regards, Henry E. Neumann Hneumann@luxuryresorts.com
Elmira, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

Went to Puerto Rico on vacation in March 2007. We were very pleased with the layout and redecorating of the room we stayed in. The first room we went to did not have a working safe & were moved to another room after asking to be moved (worse view) and then finally to the same type of room (city vista) with a nice view of the ocean (LOVED THIS). The elevators usually had at least one not working at all times (and were very slow) and the staff sent us all over the place (on site) when we looked for a restaurant that was open at 9PM. The shower leaked all over the floor daily & we did tell staff about this. They did not offer any compensation for the inconveniences, however, even though we made them aware of it. They were nice but the
place we stayed before (in Rio Grande, the Westin), the staff had been MUCH, MUCH more accomodating and courteous.

What we liked about the place were the room renovations (very contemporary), swim up bar (although VERY expensive & prices varied for the same drink from day to day), snorkeling (inexpensive), easy access to the $.75 shuttle to Old San Juan, great views, casino (I won a little). Given the other hotels in the area that weren't as nice nor with the same view, if I were going here again, I would stay
here again; however, it's not likely.

• Liked — contemporary rooms (beautiful!), beach front, pool/beach access, access to Old San Juan
  • Disliked — Staff attitudes at times not accomodating, issues with new room ammenaties (shower leak, safe not working), elevators malfunctioning.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

Although this hotel appears to be improving, I would strongly recommend you not stay until ALL of the renovations are complete and the kinks are worked out of the system. I was there for 3 nights, and every night we had a problem with our room. The air conditioning was broken and we had the choice of either freezing to death or sweating. On top of that, when it did work, about every 30 minutes there was a terrible rattling sound that came from the air conditioner. Engineering came to our room every night and said this was "normal." Our toilet also stopped working at various points, since apparently they shut off the water without telling the guests! The final kicker was that we went to open our terrace door only to discover that it had never been attached to the wall!! Someone literally just placed the door in the frame and prayed nobody would try and open it!

This property seems like it has the potential to be nice, but right now I would stay away. I will say that the staff did the best that they could (switching our rooms multiple times), but they have been dealt a bad deck of cards and can't be expected to fix construction defects.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

We stayed at the Condado March 7-11. I had read all the negative reviews AFTER we had already booked, so I was prepared for a crappy hotel. I was WRONG.

The room was AWESOME! It was beautifully decorated. The bathroom was the BEST hotel bathroom I had ever been in. I told EVERYONE about the glass shower! The bathroom was also HUGE. We really liked the in-room safe, and the refrigerator. The view was awesome.

The only real 'bad' thing about the hotel was that apparently the main elevator doesn't go to the 2nd floor, where our room was. The one elevator that DID go there was broke, so we had to use the service elevator the whole time we were there.

The location is great. There were plenty of stores and restaurants in walking distance.

The staff was all friendly and helpful. This is a great place to stay!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Elevator
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!