“Oceanview rooms are worth every dollar” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$149 (USD)
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
New York
“Oceanview rooms are worth every dollar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

You have to stay in one of their oceanview rooms in the Ocean Tower, otherwise you'd miss all the best things.
From the top floors you see nothing but the ocean, you can hear nothing but the ocean, your balcony opens up on the beautiful vista (see the attached pictures).
The room on the 7th Floor where I stayed was very clean, newly decorated, too red for my taste, but my eyes were on the ocean at all times:) The bathroom is very well designed with glass shower, no bathtub. Safe, refrigerator, coffee maker, iron board - all you'd need.
Downstairs you find a gaudy casino, multiple restaurants and Starbucks Coffee. Room service adds 22% gratuity and 7% tax, so it is quite a hefty add-on. I ate at the Noodle Eight, a Chinese restaurant that just happens to sell sushi. Their sashimi portions were extremely small and extremely pricey, as if I were in Tokyo. Avoid.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

Beautiful rooms, which are spacious and well appointed. Very modern look and feel. We had a wonderful room with a balcony overlooking the ocean. It was worth the few extra dollars for the view.

PRO: lots of options either in the hotel or within walking distance, including numerous restaurants, pools, beaches, and casinos. Great rooms.

CONS: Very noisy on the guest floors. Lots of slamming doors and voices all hours of the day and night. Had numerous challenges with service issues due to the language barrier. English was spoken primarily only by the Front Desk/Concierge staff.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

This was my first trip to Puerto Rico and I did not spend a whole lot of time researching the various areas for hotels. So my happy travelers and I winged it a little when booking our hotel. In the past I've looked here on Tripadvisor, used google maps street view, etc. So here is my one and only problem with the Condado, the location. I was totally surprised that as soon as you walk out of the building, less than a block away to see there are abandoned buildings all around. On a week night walking to the center to where the restaurants are, it does feel a bit creepy. Never unsafe, but creepy nevertheless. On the weekends, people are out everywhere and it was easy to forget what you were walking past the ruins.

With that said and put aside, I found the experience at the Condado fantastic. The service was great, Jose Padin, the Director of Operations, answered some questions for me before I arrived, the housekeeping was great (she was in tune with our needs without even having to ask), the pool areas are nice and well kept. I did go to the casino one night. $2 minimum bet on Roulette. Now that's amazing. They also give you $25 worth of match play when you check in. The atmosphere on the weekends in the hotel is very hip and trendy, a cross between an old Rat Pack swinging club with a Miami beach feel. If you are staying here, you must stay facing the ocean or the lagoon (you can see the sunset from this side). I just can't imagine staying here and not staying in one of these rooms. It's beautiful.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
JPadin, Director of Operations at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
I thank you for visiting our Hotel recently and for taking the time from your schedule to share with us your experience at the Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza. We are deeply appreciative that you found our accommodations and services at an excellent level.

To all Tripadvisor User; Should you need any assistance with a future reservation, special requests or would like additional information about the hotel, things to do, restaurants, the Condado area or Puerto Rico, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail at jose.padin@conradhotels.com or call me at 787-721-1000 ext. 2016 or my cellular 787-307-8762.

Saludos,

José C. Padín
Director of Operations
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Conrad for eight days and seven nights.

Pros:
- Ocean view room was spectacular
- Jose Padin was a great resource in making our vacation memorable
- All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful
- Perfect location for us (walking distance to many restaurants, short bus ride to OSJ)
- Plenty of relaxing areas to choose from (3 pools, beach, grassy oceanfront area)
- Nice workout facility
- Casino on-site

Cons:
- Restaurants within the hotel were pricey
- Elevators were slow on the weekends

Overall:
There are many restaurants within walking distance that have more reasonable prices so we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

We stayed six nights at this hotel and we had a great time. We had booked the hotel through the hotwire for $135 and upgraded it to oceanfront rooms for $25 which was worth the money.
I am trying to write an objective review through our very subjective experience for one week we stayed there using it as our home base for our day trips.
It is funny how one persons positive is another's negative and how certain things are sore sticking points while others are glossed over.

Positives
1. The location: We enjoyed the sound of the breakers and waking up to the view of the ocean. It was different from the view of the beech and then the ocean. The grounds were yet not too complicated.
We actually liked the location of the hotel at the end of Candado for it being a little bit less touristy than the rest and also the walking distance to OSJ.
We enjoyed walking to the hot spots in Condado for action/food and enjoyed our day time walks to OSJ.(Take cab back 15 to 18 $) There was a bus stop right in front though we did not use it.
We never felt unsafe walking through the whole Condado area even at middle of the night.
2. Jose Padin: I saw his name here and I just sent him an email. In return he provided his personal touch to our entire stay.
3. We enjoyed the minimalist ambiance at the same time everything we needed was there.
4. Staff: For the whole week we only encountered smiling faces and efficiency. Two of the names that stand out were Crystal at activities and Helen at the front desk. We were impressed by them that we did write to the resort administration about them.
5. Rooms: We liked the size of the room and the bathroom and the comfort beds
6. Beech It is small like many complained here. But we loved it because it was a lagoon with much less waves.We certainly enjoyed the public nature of the beech that gave us chance to be with the locals.
We did go to other beeches(Ocean, Isle Verde, etc on various days to enjoy the routine beech scene.
7 Food at Varita. My favorite fried pork with Cassava Mafango
8.Enjoyed the live music on Friday night at the bar area.
9.The small casino was a good distraction.
10 The house keeping was good yet unobtrusive.
11. The rental car(Enterprise) services was great for us for our day trips.

Like any other hotel we have visited in various continents, we are not big fans of big hotel restaurants. We like to eat locally and there were great eateries around the hotel at walking distances especially serving PR food and there were enough places to get in expensive drinks.
Did not like the pool side cafe for food.(but then food is not the forte of a poolside cafe is it )
would have liked more working washing machines.
Parking is expensive

I have read various negative remarks here and again it’s no different from others we all are different and we look at things differently.
For us the most important thing was we totally enjoyed our stay and certainly would go back .
Maybe we are a very laid back family.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

This is our 2nd trip to the Conrad Condado Plaza since January. My wife and I had another wonderful vacation here at the Condado Plaza. We are here on a quick four night stay. Being from NY and just shoveling out from quite a blizzard we knew it was time to thaw out at this wonderful hotel.

I will try to paint an accurate portrait of the hotel and the neighborhood so you can come to your own conclusions. Let me say this at the outset for my fellow Northeasterners: If you have not considered Puerto Rico as a fabulous destination in the Caribbean you need to consider this island. We have cruised extensively in the Caribbean stopping at many islands. Puerto Rico has many advantages over the more conventionally thought of islands. First is its size. There are many areas to explore including historic forts, a rain forest, Old San Juan, which you already know about if you have taken a cruise that stopped here, and many other activities to participate in if you are so inclined. You can also just relax and let your cares and worries melt away. Being part of America, T-mobile treats it as if I were home. That alone is a huge advantage for road warriors who do not quite know how to leave their work at home. The hotel also has complimentary wireless that is accessible in the rooms. Still an uncommon amenity. Add in excellent hospitals, professional police and extensive public transportation.
The Condado Plaza was built in the early sixties and has changed hands several times since then. From independent owners to large chains it finally found itself owned by Conrad and thus is part of the Hilton family. I have just returned from two + hours swimming in one of the three pools the property boasts. In my case it was the saltwater pool. That was after floating in the lagoon and reading a book in one of the many comfortable deck chairs by the pool.

The hotel consists of two buildings connected by an enclosed walkway over Ashford Avenue on the Mezzanine floor, one up from the lobby. The main tower, 10 stories has the lobby, 2 bars, a gift shop, and area for receptions or business meetings and a covered yet open to the air very large ‘patio’. The décor is Caribbean modern with lots of bright colors and glass. There are three views available. Ocean view is just that. As opposed to other hotels this hotel parallels the ocean so the rooms really face the ocean. Unlike hotels we have all seen that are built 90 degrees to the ocean and the ocean view rooms do have a view of the ocean – if you are willing to crane your neck to see it. Not only are the Ocean view rooms truly that, they include a wonderful, large balcony. If you like the roar of the ocean and the smell of the sea this is your hotel. The city view is the view from each building facing the other. If you like to see cars and people walking choose this. It would be my last choice. The lagoon view is good, overlooking a lagoon and beyond that, San Juan. It is quite nice to look at San Juan especially at night.

Two of the three pools ( 1 salt water, 1 with a swim up bar) are outside the main tower. The second building has the third pool, a gym and a very powerful medium – large whirlpool tub inside near the gym. Both buildings have heated gentle jacuzzi pools of average size. Do not think swimming pool size here. Normal hot tub size, maybe 10 people. All the pools are clean and attractive. To lay by a pool with Palm trees overhead and the ocean breeze blowing is worth the price of admission alone. The 2nd building also has a nice casino.

The rooms, like the lobby are brightly colored with a clean modern look. The beds are comfortable and you will certainly get a restful night of sleep at the Condado Plaza. The bathrooms need to be seen. Glass walled showers. The hallways to the rooms are nicely carpeted and in good shape.

Before I wrote this I read some recent reviews. One woman spoke of cracks in tiles in an elevator. Remember this is our 2nd trip here and I did not notice the crack(s) until I read that. They are on the floor in one elevator and are minor. In fact I asked Jose whose was referenced in that review and the hotel has replacement tiles already. It is just a matter of waiting for a slower time to take an elevator out of service for a day. Jose Padin is the director of Operations for the hotel. Quite simply he is as competent a professional as you will find in the hotel business. Jose is the Director of Operations for the Hotel and he is in a word the best.

As far as other complaints I read about, mold in the bath room, etc. I have found none of it. I cannot say it does not exist but I am a picky traveler and looked at a few rooms before deciding on the ones we stayed in. Perfectly clean. Neighborhood: Condado had fallen on hard times in the last decade or so, no doubt. However there is a bout of a renaissance occurring. Many of the high rise apartment/condos are new while others look a touch shabby and need work. There are a lot of charming houses in the area as well as the high rises. As the previous reviewer said the sidewalks in areas could use improvement but it is not that big an issue. We feel safe walking to the center of Condado and thoroughly enjoy our walks. There are many restaurants in the area (as well as in the hotel) and some of them have really good food.

Location: The Conrad is located to the far west of Condado. This has its good and bad. It does make the hotel a 15 minute walk to the center but there are many interesting establishments along the way from restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. Also, being near the bridge there is less traffic and if you chose to walk to Old San Juan, 45-60 minutes it can be done.

All in all, the Condado Plaza is a wonderful, restful, beautiful hotel. You cannot go wrong here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

First the good. Nice lobby, wonderful customer service at check in. Our first night, we were awakened by the sound of our neighbors returning to their room at 4 am. Not so bad..., second night however, we were again awakened, and this time the noise did not end. Called security and the noise abated immediately, for a little while. Complained at the desk the next day and were moved to another room, but it took them about 8 hours to do it. The drinks/food at this hotel were quite expensive for the quality. The weather was not cooperating so we ate at Cafe Caribe, Varitas, and Pikayo during our stay. Food at Cafe Caribe was no better than any chain hotel fare. Varitas, the food was ok, not memorable at all. The food at Pikayo, which I was so looking forward to, (Wilo Benet), was disappointing. Housekeeping: First room, wonderful, Second room, not so good. Replaced the coffee and the towels, but no cleaning could be discerned. We had no car with us, but the bus was easy enough to use. Pic ks you up right in front of the hotel. Bring quarters, as the bus only accepts change. Casino is small, but serves its purpose. Beach is terrible. Very small, public, and sits next to the road/bridge. Not so clean. There are better in San Juan. Lots of airport noise. The hotel is directly in the flight path of the local small airport. Not a great place to fall asleep at the pool. I had read reviews of this hotel and one of them said that the hot tub was too hot. I thought that perhaps that was untrue. Well, the hot tub is so HOT that you can barely sit in it. You could make tea with that water. I like my hot tub water hot, but this was extreme. Old San Juan was wonderful. Go to "Le Cafe Puerto Rico". We would have passed up this gem but the concierge recommended it and actually ordered food for his lunch once he thought of it. The food is fantastic, reasonable and the wait staff very friendly. La Bombanerra was also a great place to eat truly authentic Puerto Rican food.
Hotel charges 7.50 US for 15 minutes in the business center. In this day and age, that is ridiculous.
Overall, it was ok for our first trip to Puerto Rico, but we will find other accomodations for future trips.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!