“Ok If you get the Right Price” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

Save Saved
You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $99
Ranked #19 of 46 hotels in San Juan
Township of Washington, New Jersey
“Ok If you get the Right Price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

My wife and I stayed there for one night (3/17) before a cruise. We had gotten a good rate through Hotwire. The property is dated. The room furnishings were worn. However, the room and bathroom were clean.It is definitely not a four star hotel.Breakfast was expensive. The food not so great.In all fairness for the price it wasn't that bad.

2,503 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

I stayed at the Condado Plaza for two separate nights. The first time I was in the building on the lagoon side, with a beautiful view over the water. As earlier reviews state, this building is dated and not nearly as nice as the ocean-front building. The ocean-front rooms are very nice, modern, larger, and with a refrigerator and walk-in closet. The view was amazing from my 7th floor balcony. These rooms are also about twice as expensive.

You have to watch your spending on food and drinks. The breakfast buffet is now $21, and you'll pay at least $10 if you order a la carte. There are a number of restaurants within a 10 minute walk so I suggest taking a stroll and checking them out.

The rooms have high-speed internet, but you'll pay a surcharge of $15/day to use it. Once connected it worked fine. I had no issues with hotel staff, and check-in and check-out were easy. I walked by the casino but didn't linger because I don't like smokey areas.

The Condado Beach area is OK, but if you want a beautiful long white sandy beach I would stay elsewhere. The area is convenient to Old San Juan, about a $12 taxi ride away.

There are lots of hotels in San Juan, so next time I will try someplace different.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2006

We were extremely disappointed in this hotel and some of the staff left us feeling utterly unwelcome. We will never return to this hotel nor would I advise anyone else to ever stay at it. It was extremely expensive - over $45 for 1 hamburger, 1 turkey club sandwich and 2 sodas at the poolside cabana. The 'beach' was tiny, crowded and right next to a major bridge thoroughway - local children literally were jumping off the bridge and into the beach area for fun. The poolside bartenders were downright rude and a 10 oz can of beer will cost you $5. The hotel itself is quite a bit past its prime and in need of a serious update. The only good thing I have to say about this hotel is that the front desk staff and room attendants were all very pleasant and accomodating. Too bad the rest of the staff made our visit so very unpleasant - the difference between a great hotel and a terrible hotel is not how much it costs you, but the quality of it's staff. Apparently the Condado Plaza Hotel and Casino isn't aware of this.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2006

A friend and I booked a package deal through Jet Blue that included this hotel. We knew not to expect the Ritz, but were so disgusted by this hotel that we did not even spend the night here. To begin with, the hotel does not have "white sand beaches," despite that exact description on the website. There is a "lagoon," which is a dirty, miniscule sliver of land which also contains a children's swingset. You cannot swim in the ocean from this hotel. We were expecting a beach hotel and were shocked to find that there was no beach. Second of all, when we arrived at the hotel at approximately 5 pm, the only place we could find to eat was at Tony Romas, which is across the street. The staff was rude and completely dismissive. When I asked about the reported 7 restaurants that the hotel advertises, the nasty staff member looked at me as if I were insane and then said that each of the restaurants I asked about "was not there." When I pointed to the sign that advertized these restaurants, the staff just shrugged. This was not a language barrier issue, as I asked in both English and Spanish. Though there were no other customer's at the concierge's desk, the concierge did not acknowledge me (despite the fact that we made eye contact) until I actually shouted "excuse me" several times. When I asked about the beach, the concierge rudely directed me to the internet kiosk. When I pressed him further, he said that the Marriott had a beach and suggested that it was a 5-10 minute walk away. As I promptly switched to the Marriott, I can assure you that it was a 5-10 minute taxi drive--not within walking distance unless you felt like taking a hike. Lastly, the room was disgusting. Though it was a non-smoking room, there were cigarette burns on the furniture, the furniture was cracked, old and dirty and the room itself was small. The bathroom was miniscule. Though the dirty hotel directory (and yes, I do mean dirty--there were recent food stains on the pages) stated that there was a mini-bar, when I asked the desk about the lack of a mini-bar, they told me that they had discontinued mini-bar service. The hotel itself was seedy and run-down. To put it simply, we did not feel safe there. My friend and I realized quickly that we did wish to stay at the hotel and began frantically calling local hotels to find somewhere else to stay. Though we only made LOCAL calls from the room, apparently local to the hotel means in-hotel only (despite what it said on the phone). Calls to the nearby Marriott (ie: within the same area and local calling code) wound up costing $50, though it was a small price to pay to get out of that dump. Do not stay here! It is overpriced and terrible! Their website is a complete misrepresentation. Do not be fooled.

New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2006

First of all, do not be fooled by the description of a "white sand beach." This hotel is NOT on the beach. The hotel is on the ocean, and a strip of huge rocks separate the two. There is a very small square of beach, on a lagoon, and next to the main road, which really doesn't qualify as white sand. It had a jungle gym on it and it was not very clean. If you are going to PR for the beach, go elsewhere.

Second, do not be fooled by the description of seven terrific restaurants. I never saw all seven, and the ones I did see were lined up back to back like a food court. Additionally, the staff seemed to think Tony Roma's accross the street was the best dining option.

Third, the room was in awful shape. There was no mini-bar (and no working mini-fridge for drinks). The furniture was chipped and scratched and the curtains and window dresssings were dirty. The room (even with a/c on) was humid.

Finally, the conceirge was rude - and the rest of the staff was just plain unhelpful. They struggled to recommend restaurants, bars, etc (beyond Tony Roma's of course!).

Overall, this was a huge disappointment. If it had been half the price then maybe (maybe) it woudl have been worth it. However, even then I would have wished I was just on the beach in an inexpensive bungalow in Rincon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2006

Arrived at the hotel and entrance was nice. Once at the desk they made me sign an additional agreement which would bite me upon checkout. I'd recommend checking off that you will only pay for the hotel and phone calls but refuse to pay the additional tax and tariff since with my package via priceline it states taxes are included. On the day of checkout they'll slip a bill under your door insisting that you pay tax and tariff which amounted to an additional $160 for a 4 day stay. I disputed the charge and they agreed to wave the tax but said I still owed the $23/day tariff.

Generally staff and puerto ricans were very friendly and I felt safe in Condado and Old San Juan with only 3 beggars seen the entire trip. On the ride to the Rain Forest you'll see very primitive living conditions and even within the city they have housing projects. Everything in Condado is gated, especially the condos and businesses.

The hotel lobby was very nice with a cool salt water fish tank housing the laziest 3 sharks I've ever seen. There are about 5 restaurants within the hotel, the only one I'd recommend is Tony Roma's since prices are in line with other U.S. locations. Generally service at all of the restaurants we visited was slow so you'll need some patients. Meals at the other 4 hotel restaurants are very overpriced but if you want the convenience then go ahead. The location is prime and there are plenty of reasonably priced places to eat within a short walking distance along Ashford ave. I'd recommend Waikiki and Don Hose Hacienda which offer an incredible ocean view but if you go at night bring a light sweater.

We got lucky at the casino: plenty of 1 and 5 cent slots to occupy your time.

Room was acceptable with a good view of the lagoon and some basic patio furniture. The bathroom was a little small but generally very pleased with the room. No extra charge for using the safe. Cleaning staff were great: we even left out some cash and it was all there upon returning. No minibar in the room.

As for the pools: there's a regular pool in the rear of the older lagoon view rooms part of the hotel which was barely used and we did some laps here without being disturbed. For more action, in the rear of the newer half of the hotel are two additional pools. These are busier and I'd recommend coming before 10 am for your lawn chair otherwise you could be waiting to snag one. The saltwater pool had plenty of sun bathers surrounding it but I didn't actually see anyone swimming in it. The other freshwater pool had a swim up bar and a section for kids. Drinks were about $8 and a little watered down so few people were actually purchasing.
There is a small beach whereby they give you a free lawn chair to use. It's a little rocky and the locals do invade a portion of it so I wouldn't say it's anything special. The water is a little rough but not a bad change of venue. Did not see anyone Kayaking, snorking or SCUBA diving on Condado beach.

To get to old San Juan you can take a bus for about $1 or just walk it since it takes about 1 hour to get there. It's well worth the time with plenty of shops and historic sites. This is where they let off all the cruise goers so it can get hectic.

For day trips the hotel offers a tour operator (GSI) in the main lobby with several trip options. We did the Bacardi/Old San Juan tour hosted by Robert who was terrific and I'd highly recommend it for about $45 including 2 free drinks at Bacardi and admission to the Fort which was fascinating. We also went on the Rain Forest (El Yunke)/ beach day tour which was also a great way to spend a day for about $60. Plenty to see though the visibility of the water at the beach was about 5 feet so I felt that bringing my snorkling gear was a waste.

We also went to Las Plazas Americanas which was a $15 cab ride to the biggest mall in the Caribbean, the biggest I've ever seen. Not a lot of deals but a good way to kill some time.

One thing I noticed along Ashford was the incredible number of joggers. It was a great place to have a relaxing drink and people watch at the numerous streetside bars and restaurants.

Overall I was initially worried by some of the reviews but was very pleased with the hotel. I would have preferred if they were more upfront about the tax and tariff but otherwise a big two thumbs up. We recommended the hotel to our in laws who will be going in the next few months. The beaches are less than average compared to other caribbean islands but there is a lot of action there and plenty of American chain restaurants it you are worried about food consistancy.

• Stayed February 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2006

We booked a four-night reservation at least one month in advance through Wyndam. We got to the hotel early to check-in and the check-in clerk told us they did not have a room for us for the first night. We had a confirmation and reservation number with us. At first, the only option they gave us was to shuttle us to the Holiday Inn for one night (even though we paid for the Condado Hotel rate). After arguing with them for 30 minutes, they finally gave us a Murphy room - with a tiny double bed that pulls out of the wall - this was not what we had reserved and paid for. Apparently their Associate Director of Sales (Pier M. LeCompte) was responsible for making the decision to bump off our reservation to accomodate a Sales Convention that was scheduled for the same weekend. I called Ms. LeCompte and her answer to why the sales party was given preferential treatment was 'We are in the hotel business. This is what we do.' She was completely unhelpful and had a real snooty attitude. Adding more insult to injury, as we were continually being told they were sold out, at least 10 parties arrived after us being able to check-in without a problem. Somehow we chosen to be the unlucky victims. We got to the hotel early after a long flight and were hoping to be able to enjoy some sun that afternoon. Instead, we spent 45 minutes checking in. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Check-in service is awful. If you do have reservations at this hotel, I recommend that you call in advance to confirm.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!