“Nice place to stay at a convenient location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$129 (USD)
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Miami, Florida
“Nice place to stay at a convenient location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Recently had to go to San Juan for business and stayed at the Condado Plaza Hilton. The hotel was conveniently located to work and other tourist locations. My room was an ocean front room on the 10th floor, so I had an outstanding view. The room was clean, quiet and well apportioned. The decor was a little dated, but everything worked. A/C worked very well. The room has a safe, a small refrigerator and plenty of electrical outlets. The free wi-fi worked well too. The beds were very comfortable as well. The hotel staff was very friendly. The hotel restaurants served decent food, which was comparable in price to other restaurants in the area. I would recommend the Condado Plaza Hilton to anyone staying in San Juan and plan to stay there the next time I return to San Juan.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean front room for an outstanding view.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (655)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Hotel was always clean. Jean-Pierre(front desk) was very helpful and gave us a room with a beautiful view of the lagoon:) Thank you Jean-P:)....Lady from housekeeping was a helpful and sweet woman( her name was Belen:)..thank you:)..played at the casino(must play Betty book and quick hit. Pools were nice but my husband and I chose to swim in the 9ft pool( much cleaner and quiet, especially at night. Close to a beach(walking distance and little shops and restaurants( recommend Cafe de Angel down Ashford. Do NOT EAT at Latin Star on Ashford( absolutely disgusting)..I would definitely stay at Condado again.. Again thanks to the staff who I mentioned above:)

Room Tip: We had a great view in room 684:)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends, one of whom was celebrating his 40th birthday. Overall we were very disappointed with this hotel. We went in July and my friend booked his room in December. He requested an upgrade but when we got there they told him they were all sold out of the suites. It took us forever to check in because this giant hotel had only two attendants at the front desk. At no point in time during our 5 day stay did I ever see more than that and frequently saw a line. The beaches advertised as "private" were small patches of sand that were very public and very crowded. The beach chairs they did have available were dirty and gross. I was going to get a massage but the massage was outside in a cabana overlooking the patch of sand beach in between the two small pools they had on the ocean side of the property. Not relaxing as the crowds were very noisy. The swim up bar was also the same pool where they had the kiddy slide. The staff was very busy policing who were hotel guests but there were many visitors of guests that were in the pools with their clothes on. Ew! Just trashy! We even saw a couple having "relations" on the common area porch one night when we went out there after dinner to enjoy the ocean. Again, ew! Our rooms were relatively clean but we often had to request towels and our phone rarely worked. In fact, on the last day we never got our wake up call because our phone was broken. It's a huge property and not at all special, especially for the price you pay per night and the staff is almost bothered that you're there.

Room Tip: Just do yourself a favor and never stay here.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
EdgardoL, Front Office Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, August 30, 2014
Dear Bretaigne B

Thank you for visiting our Hotel recently and for taking the time from your busy schedule to share with us your experience at the Condado Plaza Hilton. Your comments will help us improve our service and avoid similar problems in the future.

I will like to say that all of our beaches are public and ours is a small and cozy with no waves, that is very good for snorkeling and children. Thank you again for your comments, if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me

Cordially;

Edgardo L. De Jesus
787-721-1000 ext. 2018
edgardo.dejesus@hilton.com
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014

Nitty Gritty Facts:

Pros: Good location; 30 minutes from San Juan International Airport (SJU), rapid response from management, three pools to choose from; awesome poolside bar staff; most of the major tour companies travel to this hotel.

Cons: Interior bar service is slow; free wi-fi is spotty; the Egg Noddle restaurant's food; amount for the daily resort fees unclear (the hotel should at least provide a percentage of what the resort fee would be).

Germaphobe level: 2 (low) - Not white glove clean rooms so a bed sheet check is still required.

As a Hilton Honors member I can't say that this property blew my mind. Yet I did get some of the amenities of Hilton but at a lower price.

At first glance the Condado Plaza's exterior looks like an old 1950's beach side hotel with little indication that this hotel was a Hilton Hotel. Thankfully the interior has been revamped. The lobby looks like a chic, beach hotel with a bar, a nightclub area (during my stay the nightclub was a ghost town), three pools, a casino, access to the public beach the and three restaurants.

The front desk staff was cordial and it did not take me long to get to my room. I reserved a king ocean-view room and for the most part, the room matched the photos. Though the site from my room was lovely, there was a musty odor within the room. After an attempt to air out the room, I was back at the front desk. The manager on duty was very responsive and put me into another room immediately. The second room was a little further down from the beach but it had no odor and provided a similar view of the ocean side. The most lovely part about the room itself was the shower. I was envious of the design plus I never had one day where the water was luke-warm or cold.

Food and beverages within the hotel are a hit or miss. I enjoyed Café Caribe's Cuban sandwich and breakfast with an ocean view. The Eight Noodle Bar on the other hand should stick to just noddles; the sushi was sub-par. Now for Puerto Rican cuisine I would suggest taking a walk down the street to Ropa Veja.

At the pool I never had trouble finding someplace to lay and tan.The ocean-side pool with the pool bar was the place to be if you wanted to listen to music, people watch and if you feel inclined to, make a new friend or two. The pool bar can be a little slow at times but the bar staff are very friendly.

If you prefer to have a little peace and quiet, there is another pool in the lagoon side. Very few people occupied that pool in the morning.

The beach itself is small but I didn't seem to mind. The water stays warm until the early evening.

Overall I can say this Condado Plaza Hilton was a nice place to stay for friends trip or a solo vacation.

Room Tip: If you prefer quiet I'd suggest the lagoon side of the hotel. The ocean-side of the building is...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Location of hotel is great plenty of places within walking distance for food and small shopping stores. Safe tourist spot, people running throughout all hours of the day. Hotel staff very friendly and accommodating. Short drive or walk to Old San Juan.

Dear Veronica R
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience during your stay at Condado Plaza Hilton. I was very happy to see that you had an outstanding time with us and enjoyed all our wonderful amenities and staff.

It is our pride to make sure that all of our guests have a memorable stay; if you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at:

Edgardo L. De Jesus
787-721-1000 ext. 2018
edgardo.dejesus@hilton.com
Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Excellent in every way & convenient to everything. I have been here many times & the experience is always good. The hotel has been remodeled & all services & staff were great. A good value for your dollar.

NYC, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Loved the Condado Hilton Plaza. I mean, swimming in the lagoon beach with fish, amazing! The tropical view from my room of the Atlantic Ocean was breathtaking, and I loved waking up to the sunrise. Spend the extra money and stay on the side facing the ocean. Went with my husband and we kayaked on the lagoon, and enjoyed the hot tub and pool of BOTH sides of the hotel. Pikayo restaurant is one of the best dining places in San Juan - a 5 star restaurant, try to eat here if you can! All in all, I'd recommend this hotel to others. The bathroom set-up is a little weird, but other than that - this place is awesome, and if you're used to walking - you can definitely walk to Old San Juan (during the day).

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!