“When is a Hilton not good enough (case study)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$129 (USD)
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“When is a Hilton not good enough (case study)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

There was a time when Hilton was the go to brand, if you ended up anywhere new and wanted some basic service and courtesy anywhere Hilton was where you slept. I found myself in San Juan for the first time and decided Condado Hilton cant be wrong. Sure the reviews were spotty and all pointed to inconsistency in housekeeping and overall service. Could they be wrong? Well lets start with my arrival and check in at midnight which went smooth. However access into my room door was always a challenge, using the key. It had to be done with one stroke, a few nanoseconds too late and you will have to try try again until you got your timing. The room was lovely without a boxspring which is different but still comfortable. The bathroom was too small to really maneuver around so some creativity is needed. The TV did not have a remote so I found myself sitting at the desk and changing channels manually. There were suficient towels as I was alone so I chose not to take the hassle of housekeeping for the few days I was going to be there on business. Even though there were 3 places inside the hotel where I could eat upto 3am so I was told, only the Dennys was open to service late at night. The most eggregious act was a surprise that was a surprise sent to me by a colleague did not get to me while I was there. She came personally and delivered the box, insisted to get in touch with me but was not allowed to and request the box was to be delivered to my room. I found out after I had returned home and a quick call confirmed the box was in the concierge office. We were able to ascertain that the reason the box was not delivered was that there was a charge of $1 to bring it to my room and so was marked a pickup. No efforts were made notify me I had a box for pickup though they had my full name and was told I was a registered guest. So Condado Hilton let an expensive gift stay at the concierge office for 3 days while I was still in the hotel without care or concern. Needless to say one of my colleagues picked up the box and will ship it to me when he gets back in the US. Several conversations were made to inquire about my gift and not a single appology was issued nor was there an admission of guilt or lack of process on how to handle such an event. This from a Hilton that obviously is making too much money to care about the little things.

Room Tip: Ask for the seaside rooms in the tower which has a great view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Smith R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. I tried personally retrieving your reservation, but I need more information in order to inspect the room that you stayed in. Yes, we have a large array of dining options, and for late night dinning we have Eight Noodle Bar which is open until 3AM and is located on our Mezzanine level in front of our 24 hour Casino, and second, Denny’s, which is located at the lobby of our Lagoon Tower and it is open 24 hours a day. I am disappointed to read that you did not get to receive that special package delivered by your colleague. It is customary that when we receive packages we phone the room, and leave a message to the guest in order to schedule a delivery or pickup for the package. I am terribly sorry that this package was not delivered to you; I will personally discuss this with our Concierge.

I would like to discuss your review further if possible, this way I can get more information regarding your reservation, and the room number you stayed so I can take matters in my hands and share them with our management team. I greatly appreciate the opportunity you provided us to be of service and I earnestly hope that if business brings you back to our lovely island you reconsider staying with us. You may reach me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com, as I will be delighted to assist!

Thank you again for your time and for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton. Best regards,

Michelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This was a great resort, A one stop shoppe for you r vacation needs. It has a casino, Dennys, several reasturants, 2 pools with a water slide, and beach access (small beacH). Check in was very delayed, we had to leave and go get lunch before we could check in however I dont think they lose points for this issue. Staff were helpful and curteous.
The area has several reasturants in the area, we only ate in the resort 2x for the experience but we like to each at the authentic places outside the resort, this was our second visit to San Juan, we first stayed in the Carolina area.
The only thing I think was missing from the Condado area was nightlife, you have to take a cab to a nearby hotel that has a club open to non guest (not hard to find in Carolina area).
all in all we would return.

Room Tip: roomson the ocean view and lagoon view are both great especially on a mid or high floor you can see...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Welovebeachvacations,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am happy to read that our staff was helpful and courteous! I sincerely hope to welcome you again to our property; if yo wish, you may contact me directly via email at michelle.burn@hilton.com. Thank you very much for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton and for providing us with the opportunity to be of service.

See you soon; at your service,

Castle Rock, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was suppose to be a great day before and day after cruise stay for us and it turned into a poor experience for us.

First we arrived late on the 8th of Feb and we were greeted with a nice front desk gentleman and we gave him our Hilton Honors card and asked for a late check out which he said would be no problem as long as we call in the morning around 8am. We asked for an Ocean side room and were told we could for a fee of $40 so we opted out and had a decent room,fairly clean and
comfortable enough. We woke up at 8am and called for late check out and a very rude girl answered and responded with "we don't allow late check out, unless you want to pay a fee"', then hung up. I was stunned at the rudeness, so my husband called and was treated much better and we were given a 1pm checkout. Check out was easy and they were helpful with attaching our cruise ship luggage tags. First visit not bad.

On our second night Feb 16th, we had just gotten off the ship at 10:30am and arrived at the hotel at 11:30am and we really wanted to check in early. We were greeted by a nice gentleman who said our room was not ready, but he had a business suite ready if we wanted that for $50 , we were tired and wanted to sleep so we paid the money and got our room, he was very nice., that was the last nice service we experienced! We went to our room, nice room, then after a bit we decided to go to the pool to lay in the sun and have some lunch....well we gave the unhappy girl at the pool check in our room number and I guess because we checked in early she did not show our names on the room, but didn't seem to care that our names didn't match her list, she wrote us down and put a wrist band on us and said nothing else, not a greeting, or point us in any direction, something along the lines of customer service! We showed our wrist bands to another grumpy girl at the towel and water sport shack, to get a blue towel, she handed them to us again no greeting, nothing, my husband specifically asked if we needed to sign the towels out or get a receipt and she said no. We went to find a lounge chair and none were available, but found a table by the pool bar. We sat there for 20 minutes without anyone asking us about a drink or menu. Finally someone got us a menu and after looking at the prices we opted not to eat or drink anything . Very overpriced food, I just wanted a cheese burger and that was $15 and another $2 for fries, even an iced tea was $2 and stated on the menu no refills! The drinks were as the waitress said $9 and up motioning up with her hand. We are not cheap people and expect higher prices but the food prices were overpriced for poolside menu, not shocked by the drinks ,but even the cruise gave us iced tea with refills. Thank god there was a Denny's on the property, it was great and good prices! We stayed at the pool for an hour then left, we stopped by the towel shack to return our towels as we were told by the rude pool girl that we had better return our towels to the towel shack or at check out or there would be a fee to pay. So we returned the towels to a much nicer girl this time and my husband asked again for a receipt or something so we would not be charged and she said we were fine!
We had all,our meals at Denny's , did not enjoy the pool and stayed in our room the remainder of our stay, we were turned off by the rude service at the pool and the overpriced menu. We got up the next morning and went to check out and my husband stepped back from Pamela at the counter and asked me to come over, well we had almost $20 is unexplained charges. We had prepaid the room so the only charge we were expecting was the $50 upgrade fee and the $20 resort fee (we had been aware of that, although I don't know what it covers), but then there was a $5.50 misc resort tax 3, $8 misc resort fee 16, $0.88 tax on resort fee, and $2.20 tax on resort fee. Remember we had just stayed here a week before and had none of those charges on that bill, so we asked Pamela who just stared at us and said it is misc fees, we said we can see that but what is it being charged for? Again she stared with blank eyes and kept repeating the same thing, we asked if it was for towels as that was the only thing we had done different from the first stay, but she just repeated the same thing, we asked for a manager and she just stared at us with no response! As most guests we are catching a flight home and did not have a lot of time to deal with this, which is what they count on, so you pay and leave and they can do this 50 more times that day and make a little extra money , she finally took a $5.50 charge off as we were not leaving and said nothing the whole time and we finally had to leave and signed the receipt but have registered a complaint with Hilton as this was the worst Hilton labeled hotel we have stayed at and not worthy of their branding!

Overall I really wish not to visit San Juan again, they charge a fee for everything and the cab fees are outrageous as well $17 to go 2 miles to the cruise port and $20-$24 to the airport, just a note of caution when they quote you a fee, remember that does not include the $1 per bag fee they charge for all,the bags even the ones you carry! The Condado Plaza Fee is not a good deal!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here especially for a cruise the Sheraton is closer! You will pay a fee for any...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Tammy D11103,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your pre and post cruise stays at our property. I would like to thank you for the opportunity you have provided us to be of assistance. I do greatly appreciate your comments and will share them with management as I am always actively listening to both positive and negative comments about our guest’s experiences. I am very sorry you encountered trouble when requesting a late check-out, as well when you visited our pool area on your second visit. I assure you, that I will discuss this with my fellow team members in charge of these areas, as we are very committed to ensuring all of our guests feel cared for, valued, and most importantly, respected.

The resort charge includes guest internet access; 24hr Fitness Center access; Local & Toll Free Calls; Tennis Court; In-room Coffee/Tea; ScoutAbout Program; Pool Concierge. This charge is in addition to the quote you were rated and is not a government imposed charge. I would like to take the opportunity to explain these charges you mention; you may contact me at michelle.burn@hilton.com.

It is heartbreaking to read that you do not wish to visit our beloved San Juan; I do earnestly hope that you do reconsider visiting our beautiful island and be witness of the many positive, and spectacular things it has to offer. I am at your service; best,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here one night with 2 friends and we had just come back from Vieques island and got in kind of late. When we checked in they rushed me through the checkin process and any questions about the area they told me to talk to the Concierge. Almost like they didnt want me there. The rooms were spacious and had a nice balcony and view of san juan. The beach is tiny compared to the other Hilton properties. The servers by the pool had the same mentally of making me feel like they were doing me a favor. In the morning we woke up early to go the Rainforrest and asked the front desk (Marisol) if we could do late check out. She said it was impossible and asked us why we checked in late... I said we checked in at 7 when she started arguing and said we checked in later. Turns out she got my room number wrong. After a few bad comments from her we asked to talked to the manager, she got on the phone and suddenly hung up and said she could extend our stay by 30 minutes... We decided to check out right away and not deal with her or the property anymore.

Room Tip: Try the Caribee across instead
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Jacob K,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your view but regret you did not experience the quality service we aim to provide to all of our beloved guests. I assure you that I have shared your comments with our Director of Front Office Operations in order for us to improve our overall level of service. I will ask that if you wish to give us a second opportunity, you contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com; we would love to have the opportunity to welcome you to The Condado Plaza Hilton. Thank you very much for your feedback, and most importantly, for providing us with the opportunity to be of service!

Kind regards,

Clayton, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at the Condado Plaza for six nights for a combination work/vacation trip and couldn't be be more satisfied.

The lobby and bar areas are nicely decorated and inviting.

Check in was a breeze even though I had a couple of consecutive reservations that they needed to combine into one stay. Sara handled this easily and could not have been more pleasant and helpful. She was awesome!

The room was large and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was also plenty big. Water pressure was good, the water was plenty hot and the room had a refrigerator (which is unusual in Hiltons.) The bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet.

Each and every staff member we encountered was pleasant and helpful. Service around the pool was a bit slow but, the staff had their hands full with a big crowd.

The location is excellent; on the main tourist strip with a number of great restaurants within walking distance. I'd recommend that you try Casa Lola and Ropa Viega Grill.

We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Marc C,

Thank you for your candid review! I am happy to read that you we’re able to squeeze some vacation time to your work trip! Thank you for your comments about our Team Member Sara, I will be sure to congratulate her for doing such a wonderful job. It makes me both proud and joyful to read that each and every staff member you encountered was pleasant and helpful! I do invite you to contact me should you wish to visit us in the near future; you may do so at michelle.burn@hilton.com. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with and most importantly, for providing us with the opportunity to be of service! We hope to see you soon and welcome you to our beautiful Condado Plaza Hilton. All the best,

College Point, NY, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because our flight was delayed due to weather. We needed to rest before getting on the redeye. We paid for delayed checkout. Regardless, housekeeping knocked loudly and WALKED IN TO OUR ROOM WHILE WE WERE SLEEPING. Yes, we had a do not disturb sign on the door. Also, the bellman left one of our bags when loading it into the cab. When we called to see if it could be sent to the airport, hotel staff blamed my husband for forgetting it and told us we would be charged to have it sent.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Julie R,

Hi there; thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to read that your flight was delayed due to the bad weather; I understand how wearisome this type of situation can be. I am sorry to read that your sleep was interrupted, and you had trouble with your luggage. I assure you that I read guests reviews on a daily basis, and I have shared your experience with management to investigate what happened. I’m sorry for the inconvenience and I guarantee I am looking into this matter. If you wish to discuss your review further please feel free to contact me directly at michelle.burn@hilton.com. I sincerely thank you for choosing to stay with us and I genuinely hope that you had a safe trip back home to enjoy well deserved rest.

Kind regards,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The hotel has a great location, and good staff.
However you van not turn off the a/c. It is a constant freezing air blowing through, even with the selection "OFF". Further more the hotel has decided to have stone/marble through out each hallway and entrance on every floor of the hotel. So if you get a room assigned close to the elevator, you will hear each and every conversation till late in the night. The voices bounce off the walls and floors. The breakfast is minimal and small selective, in a great room with an excellent view. Too bad it misses the point of being so much more.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the elevators, they did not have a water front room for us so we got the lesse...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear ericthepilot,

Hello there!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay at our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed our location, but particularly our staff; however, I’m disappointed to read that you had trouble with our A/C being too cold. Yes, we had previously decided in our recent renovation to add stone tiles but only in front of the elevator, since all guestroom corridors have carpet. Moreover, our guestrooms have carpet in addition to the Italian white ceramic. We are also proud to say that all of our lobby floors are handmade, solid granite that beautifully blend with the tropical hues and décor of our lobby, and meeting/event rooms. I do invite you to contact me if you wish to discuss your review further, as I am always actively listening to all of our guest’s comments and suggestions. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for providing us with the opportunity to be of assistance. I am at your service should you wish to contact me you may do so at michelle.burn@hilton.com. All the best,

Michelle

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!