“Very nice and safe hotel.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

Save Saved
You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $99
Ranked #19 of 46 hotels in San Juan
Miami, Florida
“Very nice and safe hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The Condado Plaza Hilton is one of the best holtels near SanJuan - Puerto Rico, not only due to the hotel itself but also because it is located in a very safe, nice and quite area, filled with restaurants and a couple of Art Deco "south beach" style buildings. It's situated between the ocean and the lagoon; accessible through a bridge from one side. The hotel has outstanding rooms, modern and very well furnished (I recomend the executive suite). The food is excellent in all restaurants; the service was very good and professional. There is a casino for those who enjoy it. Starbucks located next to the lobby. You won't regret booking here!

Room Tip: There are two buildings. Better to get those with ocean view or lagoon view. Higher floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

2,503 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Terrible service, lots of problems with the rooms, and customer service. AC broke , bathroom sink clogged , bathroom door broken, fridge did not cool, hot tub had cold water, no hospitality I constantly had to worry about everything. I couldn't relax. I had to argue to get a late checkout even though I had been through so many inconveniences. They did not allow me to check in Thursday until I paid in full my 3 night stay. I have always paid my hotels at checkout. I had to sit at lobby for 3 hours waiting to get a room . I would never go stay there again. Do not waste your time or money .

• Stayed November 2013
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Oscar E A,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay. Your feedback is a valuable component in monitoring our success and identifying areas that need improvement.

I am so sorry that you experienced so many maintenance issues during your stay. Meeting your expectations is our primary objective and I apologize that we fell short of that goal. Your comments are being reviewed with my maintenance staff so that corrections can be made.

Once again, I appreciate your comments and thoughts on our property. It is my hope that you will look into staying at our property on future trips.

Best regards,

Michelle
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I almost gave this an "excellent" and it is hard to think of a reason why I did not. I suppose that I just don't want to use "excellent" too much. But I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and I would come here again. And I'm not one who normally likes "chain" hotels.

We had an ocean view, which I think is a "must." The whole point of going to San Juan is to enjoy the ocean and/or the old town and since this hotel is not in the old town, you really should spend the extra money and get an ocean view room.

Our room was quiet. I have no complaints about noise. The only thing I heard was when I went out on the balcony I heard the lovely sound of the ocean and waves.

Our bed was comfortable. The air conditioning worked fine. The room was cool. The bathroom was very nice. There was even a small fridge so we could buy orange juice and yogurt and beer at the convenience store down the street.

The hotel has 2 buildings, one on the ocean side and one across the street on the bay side. There are 3 pools - 2 at the ocean side hotel (one salt water - very cool! - and one with a swim up bar - also very cool!) and 1 at the bay side hotel. There is a hot tub at each hotel. You also have access to a small beach. Not the best beach in the world, but if your number one criteria is "best beach" then you probably wouldn't be coming here in the first place. I live in Miami so I don't travel to find awesome beaches since I have them right at home. So for me I was fine with the beach at this hotel. If you want to be able to walk on a little sand and swim in the ocean, then this is fine. It is next to a road, but I wasn't bothered by that.

The hotel also has a casino, a bar, a couple of restaurants, a gym ... all the usual amenities you'd expect. The staff was very nice. I wasn't happy about the $20 or $25 "resort fee" they added onto the bill at the end, but that is so typical nowadays that I wasn't surprised. Although I do think that an added "resort fee" is a real sneaky way of making your nightly price look lower than it actually is. But many hotels do this, so I can't really blame this hotel.

It is not within realistic walking distance to the old town. It is probably at least a 45 minute or maybe more walk if you wanted to try it. We ran into a couple who had done the walk thinking it would be no big deal. About 30 minutes into the walk they asked themselves if they were crazy for having even tried it. Too hot. Too far. Just take the bus or a taxi.

The bus is another issue. It is cheap, only 75 cents, and the stop is right outside the hotel. I took the bus a couple of times. But it is extremely inconsistent in when it comes. Sometimes you wait 5 minutes. Sometimes you wait 30 minutes. Sometimes you wait 40 minutes. Very frustrating that there is not a set schedule that is posted at the stop and that is kept.

A cab to the old town is $15. The price is always the same. A little steep if you ask me, but what can you do?

Another convenience of the hotel is that there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance, if you don't feel like taking a cab to the old town. And there is a 24 hour Denny's right in the hotel (the bay side).

So, although I am not a fan of chain hotels, I would stay here again. I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed 4 nights, checked out 11/15. Location is outstanding, gorgeous ocean, beach and lagoon views. In a very trendy kind of "South Beach" area ($17 fare from airport) with easy to get to shopping, dinning and more. Check in experience was a breeze, we checked in early with the help of Front Desk agents Lyshia and Sarah. Very noteworthy staff, all that we had contact with were friendly, professional and helpful. Edwin was kind enough to snap some photos for me. Housekeeping was on par with Hilton standards in fact the Housekeeping supervisor checked with us a short time after we checked in. Lots to do! Great pools, hot tubs (some open 24/7), beach, hammocks to relax in. Swim up bar, waterslide cool! Casino was on mezzanine level and was more relaxed and friendly vs. Vegas or what we are used to in Florida. They had most table games and slots. Also same floor had Cafe Caribe where breakfast was typical quality/price for a hotel. We ate there every day since Gold Honors members receive $7 credit per person so why not? On the same floor is the restaurant Pikayu where we celebrated our 24 th wedding anniversary. Was told it is one of the best in town and it was an excellent experience. Fresh creations from the kitchen and knowledgeable waiters in a very "artsy" environment made it special. We didn't try the "Noodle Bar" but looked at the menu, it was more of typical Chinese place with sushi vs. a "real noodle bar." We stayed on the ocean side and access to all of this was easy, there are lagoon view rooms on other side of street connected by a walkway which we didn't wander over to see. We had an oceanfront view with balcony, bed was low to the ground and reasonably comfortable. Bedroom area had a sitting room/desk area and medium sized tv. Bathroom had the closet, fridge, coffeemaker etc and a shower no tub. Different yes and worked. Now the sliding doors aren't my first choice for privacy separating the bathroom from other areas but for a couple was OK.
Views were spectacular from 8 th floor. Main level had a few bars, gift/sundry shop. Bars are art deco "cool" looking can't comment on drinks since we aren't really drinkers and didn't indulge. There's a Starbucks next to it and a Denny's across the street but we ate at the hotel and at local places within walking distance. Not far from Old San Juan we walked there twice, was told bus service was cheap but we like walking. Close to cruise docks/ferry to Bacardi factory (free tour), lots of shopping as you would imagine. This was the best time of year to go, not too hot and area not crowded. There are many day trips to take (rainforest, luminescent bay we took) and were picked up/dropped off at hotel lobby. Stick with the licensed and big name companies is my suggestion, I don't like surprises so far from home. Overall loved property, amenities. Guest services staff at this hotel will make you feel special and let me add, put you at ease. Being this far from home (FL) can make one nervous, so they made our stay special Kudos to them all. We were sent us champagne and sweets to our upgraded room (no charge) as it was our 24th wedding anniversary. Late checkout no problem. We checked out at desk to ensure the bill was right (it was) and then bell staff had a cab for us promptly. My wife and I enjoyed our stay and would return.

Room Tip: Chose ocean view and for fine dinning chose Pikayu.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Hotel has undergone a name change but continues to be great. My last review made comment about the poor service at the Denny;s Restaurant in the hotel. Must say things have improved. Breakfast is excellent, (Fit Fare omelette) and Joanny is an excellent server. Will continue staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: Lagoon side is always quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Vero Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We booked this resort through priceline @ a great price. Spent 3 days here before our cruise.
Was pleasantly pleased, especially after reading some of the negative reviews here.
Front desk staff was wonderful. Even honored our request for a lagoon view.
Our room was great. Nice balcony oerlooking the lagoon and all the activity on it.
Bathroom was small, but met our needs.
Had breakfast one morning, and dinner one night @ the Cafe Caribe restaurant on sight.
Both meals and service were good.
Had drinks at the pool bar one afternoon, and on the back veranda one night~drinks and service were great.
The hotel grounds are beautiful. Lots of places to sit and admire the ocean.
Even a few hammocks if you are graceful enough to get in and out of it!
They were resurfacing one of the pools, but that did not affect us. There are two other pools to go too.
The beach is public and next to the resort, was very beautiful with chairs and umbrellas for the resort guests.
Local bus stop right out front, and for 75 cents per person one way you can get into Old San Juan quickly and cheaply.
Area around resort felt safe to walk around at night. Went to a local restaurant a few doors down for Monfongo and a mojito and was not disappointed.
Would definetly stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Frederick, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

A delightful stay, on HHonors points. We had an ocean view room, with a balcony, which really added to the ambiance. Beds were comfortable, room clean and bathroom amenities were luxe. Be aware there is only a shower, and the wardrobe, coffee machine (a Cuisinart style machine, with local pods) and safe are in the bathroom. The extensive pool area was a joy for our kids, including the water slide and poolside games. There are also extensive lawns, and hammocks for afternoons just chilling out. The self-service guest laundry (with free detergent) was a Godsend, though busy at times. It did 'seem' that many aspects of the property are outsourced - Cafe Caribe (formerly an Italian restaurant, don't be alarmed if that appears on the credit card statement), the pool towel distribution (where towels are strictly audited with the warning about a charge if not returned, and for a fee, you can hire aquatic toys), and even some bar facilities - this made for a slightly disjointed experience, with some inconsistencies of service. For example, when we dined at Cafe Caribe, service was below par (15 minutes just to process our check an example of this), and we could neither charge to our room nor pay by AMEX. At poolside, sometimes they added a 15% auto-tip and other times they didn't (annoying that you have to check this). There is also a Denny's and a Starbucks. Location wise, you are just a short walk away from many dining options, and there was never a problem getting a taxi. Enterprise car rental is also there, but make sure to plan your car rental needs to avoid disappointment. Whilst I acknowledge the age of this property has led to some less than happy reviews, management have quite rightly found the correct brand, being Hilton as opposed to Conrad. It still does retain a sophisticated atmosphere and nice local touches, with welcoming staff, and everything we needed for our five day family vacation.

Room Tip: There are two towers, the main (ocean) tower is the pick. If you pay extra for an ocean view room yo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!