“Type of Budget Hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$129 (USD)
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in San Juan
Hyderabad, India
“Type of Budget Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

It has two blocks divided with a main road .... one side has sea view & other doesn't and the building is old so you may face issues with the Doors ( I had bad experience )...... also some male receptionist are absent minded ( sorry for being blunt)

Room Tip: Higher floor has issue with Internet connection
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear RajeshHarsh,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay. Indeed, our infrastructure is 50 years old, like additional hotels in San Juan and in the Condado Strip. Recently, in 2007 we underwent an extensive $70 million dollar renovation to revamp both towers, all rooms, meeting spaces, including our public areas. We have a dedicated and hardworking team invested in providing tender loving care in maintaining an extensive 571 room property, particularly challenging when facing the ocean and salt water elements. I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your room door. I have already asked our Engineering to verify it is working properly.

In regards to our receptionisits, I find it harsh (and pardon my frankness) to call them absent minded, considering the fact that they work very hard to serve our guests and assist team members alike. I do genuinely apologize that your stay was not to standards, and if you wish, I invite you to contact me to discuss your review, as I am always paying special attention to all of our guests’ comments -both positive and negative-. You may be able to reach me via e-mail at michelle.burn@hilton.com. Again, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you endured and I greatly thank you for staying at The Condado Plaza Hilton.

At your service,

Michelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (660)
Bartlett
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed here both pre and post cruise. The grounds of the hotel are very impressive and the location is in a great place to get to Old San Juan via a friendly city bus. There's a Denny's, a Chili's, a Starbuck's and a Subway within a few minute walk. There are also some very nice Hotel Restaurants on site but we didn't use these venues. The hotel buildings are on both sides of Ashford Avenue. The Lagoon building lobby and Denny's is very nice. Everything past the pool in the lagoon building is in much need of repair. The lagoon view rooms are nice, clean and comfortable.
Post cruise we stayed in a corner ocean view room. The views were stunning. The room was unbelievable. We couldn't ask for anything else.
Here is the but part........The exorbitant resort fee. We knew we would be paying it and accepted it. However, what exactly did we get for our dollar? It included certain amenities like a cold towel and a popsicIe. It was also supposed to include WIFI. The only place we got a signal was in the hotel lobby. You could not get a signal, or if you did it was so weak you would keep losing it. This included in our rooms of both buildings and also at the pool area or on the lawn oceanside. Why advertise that the hotel has WIFI when it doesn't work. We asked personnel at the pool to help us with the WIFI problem and they said there was nothing that could be done. In todays tech age why should this problem exist especially at a large Hilton Resort.
The bottom line for me is, we loved the resort, the staff, the rooms, the view, and the location, but would I stay here again..............No, especially since they are charging a service for something that doesnt work.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for an ocean view room. We stayed Lagoon side 1 night which was ok, but the c...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Don M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was very pleased to read that you found our hotel impressive and found our location a very convenient one to travel to OSJ. I do understand you had trouble with our Wi-Fi; there has been an internet server problem, which is out of the hands of our local scope of management that is currently being handled by external contractors that deal with these kind of emergencies. I do apologize for this inconvenience and I’m confident that should you visit us again, you will be very pleased and happy with our Wi-Fi.

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton, and I trust that if you have the opportunity to visit us again, you will give us another chance. I will be delighted to assist.

All the best,

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have to say that I was reluctant to book a stay at this hotel based on the mixed reviews. However, I was more than satisfied with my stay. The hotel itself is lovely. It is an older property, but very well taken care of. The hotel lobby is beautiful and modern. Our room was nice as well. It was a good size and the bathroom was big and quite impressive. My only complaint with the room, is the outdated t.v. (Zenith 32 in.). The hotel is too nice for such a crappy t.v. The grounds are gorgeous and very well kept. The hotel is right on the ocean (amazing views). I was most impressed with the customer service. Every employee was very respectful, friendly and more than willing to help. Check-in was also a breeze. We ate at the Caribe Cafe and the food and service was very good, beautiful views of the ocean from the restaurant. I would definitely stay again. *I booked through Jet Blue. All taxes and fees were included. There were no surprises at check out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kristen W,

Hi There!!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! I am super happy to read that you found our hotel lovely. Indeed we have an old infrastructure, but we take great pride and hard work to give tender loving care to ensure our property is in superb conditions for everyone to enjoy.

Now…about our TVs! We have been working on this for the past months and have begun purchasing new televisions, 40 of which arrived this week -and- (these ones are larger in size: 42 in! )

I’m also proud and happy to read that you were impressed with our customer service. We have been working very hard with our team members and staff to ensure all of our guests have wonderful experiences during their stay. Your comments are very appreciated, and I will be sharing them in our Operations Meeting this Friday with Management.

Should you wish to visit us in the near future please let me know, I would be delighted in welcoming you again at The Condado Plaza Hilton. Thank you very much for your visit!

All the best,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed here for a business conference and had a small problem right away...
I arrived at 3pm for a 6:30pm meeting and I didn't get a room til 6:20pm, due to a system malfunction. I would think that a hotel such as "HILTON" would be better prepared for any malfunction...
i heard several people get rooms and walked into an already-occupied room!!! Unacceptable...
I would give "EXCELLENT" but the front desk staff was a bit rude to many people during the incident... (e.i. they complaint & whinned in Spanish thinking guests wouldn't understand!)

I will have to say that the rooms are beautiful and the ocean view was spectacular...
Opposite to other reviews, there are many affordable places to eat nearby and a few bars for bar-hooping.
I can't say much about pricing but a discounted rate of $149/n seemed reasonable for a beach-front hotel.

Room Tip: rooms in higher floors have better view...
Dear YuriV,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review; I am very appreciative of your comments.

I understand the frustration of waiting for a room when travelling for business, and I sincerely apologize for the wait. This internet “malfunction” was a serious internet server outage that could not be handled on the local scope of management. Although this is very rare to happen, sadly it happened to us, and left us without internet and access to our reservations system for a couple of hours. We had to wait for external contractors to resolve this type of emergency. I myself understand the frustration of feeling powerless with a customer when things are out of your hands, I am genuinely sorry you had to go through this trouble.

I do hope that if travel brings you again to the area you will consider giving us a second chance; I am positive you will not be disappointed. If you wish, you may be able to contact me at michelle.burn@hilton; I will be more than happy to assist with your reservations. Again, sorry, and I thank you for having stayed at the Condado Plaza Hilton.

At your service; kind regards,

Beijing, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

I chose to stay at the resort for a cuple of reasons: the readonable price and quality service and convenient location to access Old San Juan and airport. i came away with disappointment as i think the hotel's price of 200 dollar per night was not worth the money. it is overpriced in my perslective.

why? two reasons: the pools were tiny and the casino inside attracted a lot of tourists and was very noisy. restaurants inside the hotel were overpriced, and the service you got when checked in and checked out was poor as well. What is really frustrating for me is that.the hotel charged another 16 percent resort fee on top of your room rate.and this was not included in the reservation email.So, it just appeared on your bill when you checked out and you wondered what facilities and serviced you have used to justify the.payment...

i

• Stayed November 2013
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Karen Xinyue Z,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review! I am saddened to read you did not take pleasure in our pools, especially when we just renovated them, and our 24 hour casino, one of the largest casinos in San Juan. I thank you for your feedback, as I will share your comments with Management and work on how we can improve the amenities offered to our beloved guests.

In regards to the resort fee, I went ahead and made a reservation through Expedia, and as soon as the Trip Summary comes up to the right of the screen, it specifies the total due of stay prior to arriving, and below, it reads “resort fee due at hotel” and an specific dollar amount next to it.

Please, feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss your review further. My email is michelle.burn@hilton.com. I apologize for any trouble this may have caused, and I would like to thank you for having stayed at the Condado Plaza Hilton.

Best regards,

Guest Relations Manager
michelle.burn@hilton.com
Bellinghsm, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel has nice rooms, and nice layout. but they nickel and dime you. The resort fee which is required should be part of the price. The elevator to the pool was out of service. There were no inexpensive restaurants in or nearby. They said there was local transportation but it didn't exist.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Deanosor,

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Condado Plaza Hilton. I am contented to hear that you found our hotel good during your visit.

I wish to address the comment regards the resort fee, as I carefully look into each of our guest’s stays and comments. I went ahead and reviewed your reservation file; the resort charge is clearly stated in our Hilton Hotels & Resorts Confirmation e-mail, which is displayed under the “rate information” section, just below the rate per night/total for stay per room which reads “resort charge”. I sincerely understand your frustration and apologize for any inconvenience this miscommunication might have caused.

I genuinely understand the annoyance of having our Pool Elevator out of service, but on a positive note, this has been an investment of over $300,000 the hotel has made in efforts to improve the services offered to all of our beloved guests. I am proud and thrilled to share that the Pool Elevator is scheduled to be at service by November 28th, 2013.

If you wish to discuss your review further please feel free to contact me via e-mail at michelle.burn@hilton.com, as I will be delighted to assist. Thank you very much for choosing to stay at The Condado Plaza Hilton and I genuinely apologize for the inconveniences we might have caused.

At your service; best,

Guest Relations Manager
michelle.burn@hilton.com
Hicksville, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Accommodations and service are very good. Breakfast in Carribe Cafe is great with a beautiful view of the ocean. The room is clean and comfortable. The hotel staff is very helpful and cheerful. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!