“Never leave the property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$149 (USD)
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in San Juan
Pleasant Valley, New York
“Never leave the property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Hilton in Condado, PR, Has everthing you need for a relaxing stay. There are restaurant s within walking distance if you wish to try them, but the poolside bar/restaurant is very nice as well.
There is a pool for adults, a pool for children, nightlife, even a casino!

A small beach area with lounge chairs is perfect for your stay. There is even a small store with souvenirs, clothing, and the necessities.
The views of the ocean are amazing.
Best of all, it is a 15 minute drive from the Airport, and there is a public bus which will take you to the Old City of San Juan or, if you prefer, to the Mall of America. All in all, a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the ocean view rooms.......they are the best!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We will definitely be staying in this hotel should we return to San Juan in the future (hopefully for another cruise!).

We booked on the lagoon side of the hotel, figuring that while the ocean view is also beautiful during the day, we'd be there mostly at night and the ocean is nothing but blackness at night while the lagoon will have the city behind it for a gorgeous cityscape. This was absolutely the case and it was positively breathtaking!

Having a private patio with 2 chairs to enjoy the view was especially nice.

The rooms are very comfortable and have tile floors. I assume this is because it is such a hot and moist part of the world, carpet would be more inclined to mildew (as was the case in our previous hotel we stayed in). This was fine, the only thing is because of the tile, things echo a little more.

Something I didn't like about the rooms, however, was the bathroom door. It's a slide-over "modesty screen" style door and not an actual closing door, and with the tile and the fixtures and the lack of closure, um...things...echo. A lot. Noooo mystery. I was with my husband (on our honeymoon) and we're not shy with each other but if you are, especially if you're on a new couple retreat and you're not quite "there" in your relationship yet, BEWARE. Especially concerning if you're sharing a room with multiple people/strangers/friends such as the case with a convention. No privacy at all in those bathrooms.

The staff here are all amazingly friendly and very helpful. We had breakfast in the Cafe Caribe downstairs and EACH staff member and manager greeted us as we walked in, AND as we left. So sweet! We expected higher prices at this restaurant, it being in a nice hotel, but nope! The prices were extremely reasonable. I had the lobster eggs benedict (around $15, standard pricing for that premium item) and they poached the eggs perfectly. The hollandaise sauce could have been a little more lemony though to compliment the lobster, but that's a preference.

Interesting fact about this hotel, it is the same one Karl Wallenda fell to his death during a high wire walk a few decades ago, and the walkway we took to our rooms gave a view of the area and had a little informational plaque. We had no idea prior to booking. Morbid, but an interesting piece of history I am glad I learned.

Speaking of learning, I never did find a menu for room service in the room. They have a book with services and restaurants, but didn't see anything about room service in it. It seems odd that something like that wouldn't be easily available, as I really wanted a glass of milk delivered to my room but my husband ended up running and grabbing some for me from Cafe Caribe.

The pools and private beaches are exquisite. I wish we had a longer stay to enjoy this hotel to the fullest, but sadly we had to catch our flight early the next day. Knowing now about what this hotel has to offer, I will be certain to book our room here (on the Lagoon side, naturally) and plan on living it up to enjoy its amenities.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This place is wonderful. We had a BALL, it has everyything you could ask for and more.. EVERYONE IS SOOOOOO NICE AND HELPFUL... Our room was ocean view with a balcony and it was just the most relaxing addition to our trip.. WE really recommend it and would totally come back..

*** OUR ROOM WAS READY when we got there.. and check in was at 4 and we got there at 1
*** we were upgraded to a higher room because we mentioned it was our honey moon
*** We had a massage off a cliff.. for 50$ for a half hour...
*** pool side bar with a FUN SLIDE!!
*** 4 pools to pick from plus 2 jacuzzi (our favorite was the salt water)
*** SECLUDED BEACH.... Need I say more?
*** they tell you how to save money......
*** they set your tours up in the lobby!! with great suggestions
*** 4 restaurants (cafe caribe has an amazing view and great coffee) and 4 night clubs/bars
*** CASINO!!!!!!!!

WOOT WOOT

Place was amazing!

Room Tip: ocean view and top floor
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I just got off the Carnival Valor cruise ship after a 7 day Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon and checked into this hotel on our last night in San Juan. We were a bit frazzled since the check-off process was a pain in the butt, and the shuttle for our car rental was much later than they said they'd be. We had plans (with four other friends) to rent a car and have an adventure for our last day, but all the other snafus were eating away at our precious hours.

I had a reservation at the Condado Plaza Hilton and we arrived at noon, hoping we'd be able to check in early. Right away, we were treated like welcomed guests. The bell porter immediately offered to store our bags while we were gone and the front desk person "made it happen" so we could check in much earlier than normal. Big kudos to you all! That put our minds to rest and we were able to get on with our adventure.

We returned much later that night. The bell porter got our bags and carted them up to our room. Its also the first time I've had the luxury of "having my room shown to me" by a bell porter. Checking into the room was absolutely painless. They also directed where I could park the rental car overnight. (It does cost an additional $18 to self-park at the hotel, but that's a discount to non-guests).

The room had a modern styling to it. No carpet, which made the room echo more than normal (and made our neighbors louder as well), but a carpeted hotel room in a very humid place like San Juan is generally a bad idea anyways. The carpet will never truly be clean! The room was very, very clean. The sheets were spotless and everything was in tip top shape. The bathroom shower (a stall, not a tub) was an older style tiling, but was in good shape. Wasn't fond of the shower head. It was one of those ancient Speakman shower heads If they replaced that with a hand shower, it'd of been just right.

The bed was a single mattress on a foundation, lower to the floor than I'm used to. Pillow top mattress with a very nice light comforter. Although the mattress was softer than my preference, it was definitely a good quality one.

The room had electrical outlets.. everywhere. Two on both sides of the bed, two on the table. Wall sockets. Enough to spare! Our balcony overlooked the lagoon on the 8th floor. WHAT A VIEW!!! The San Juan night really sparkled with a humid, tropical chorus of tree frogs peeping far down below!

Speaking of tropical San Juan, the room's AC was whisper quiet and plenty powerful. Kept the room at 20C all night and it was perfect.

My wife disliked the bathroom door, which was little more than a sliding door that left gaps, more of a modesty shield. It would.. hmmmm.. how to put delicately? .. Would allow "noises" out into the bedroom area making it awkward if you were sharing with friends.

WiFi was part of the resort fee, and worked very well.

The casino is small, but it is nice for what it is. The breakfast diner downstairs was very, very reasonably priced and had generous portions (and pretty good coffee). There's a few eateries in the hotel, but we didn't try the others.

We took a walk around the property. The pool area is gorgeous with a swim-up bar. Heavily shaded with tropical flora and two pool with hot tubs. The beach was small and rocky, better for sunbathers and casual swimmers. Its adjacent the lagoon entrance at the ocean, and afford a wave-crashing view.

There was a brief problem with our neighbor that was playing music a bit too loud around 9PM that night. I went down to the front desk and asked about the noise policy, and he said, I quote "every guest should keep their visit inside their rooms", which means, any noise that disturbs others was not allowed. I wanted to hug the guy. :) He said to call and complain if it bothered me. Fortunately, our neighbors got quiet not a half hour later and all was well.

I would keep that in mind though. With the tiled floor rooms, noises will amplify and you can hear your neighbors more than in carpeted places. It might be an issue, but obviously the hotel is well aware of this and is ready to call down on noise makers!

In the morning, after a delicious breakfast at Cafe Caribe in the hotel, we were checking out. Again, the bell porter staff was top notch. One of them helped my wife wrangling our luggage to the driveway while I got the car. He did it with a genuine smile and conversation as well. How nice!

We paid about $150 for our stay. Worth every penny! Overall, I have little to complain about. The staff was absolutely excellent. They all acknowledge you and seem to truly care that your experience was a good one. I will certainly stay here again next time I'm in San Juan!

Room Tip: Request a lagoon view on a high floor. Oh so excellent!
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

First off we didn't stay the night here. We did however spend a lot of time here during our trip with friends that did book here. I'm basing this review off the room and hotel amenities. The room was decent size but was all red which was odd. I loved their bathroom. Spacious full walk in closet and lots of counter space. The balcony was tiny and the view was not very good. I did like that they had access to the pool, hot tub, and beach all night. The hot tub was also very big (12-15 people). They also have a casino in the hotel and a nice bar. I would stay here but in a different room.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
MichelleBurn, Guest Relations Manager at The Condado Plaza Hilton, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Ang U,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I’m happy to read from your review that you enjoyed our spacious bathroom and hotel amenities and well as our views and beautiful beach. I was especially glad that you enjoyed our casino. Our main goal is to provide top entertainment to all our guest. I am however sorry if you were not impressed with your room. I encourage you to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this matter further as I am always listening to our guests. Thank again you for your time and valued feedback and we hope to see you soon!

All the best,

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Overall it's a good hotel although a bit dated. We stayed here a year ago and again a month ago. A 2-queen-bed room we had both times is of a decent size with a fridge, tea/coffee bar, safe deposit box. The bathroom is small but acceptable. The service is good. We didn't care for the beach but used the swimming pool which was pretty much empty most of the time. The location is excellent as it's within walking distance to lots of restaurants in Condado. A trip to the old town requires a cab and costs from $13 to $17. Good value for the money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at about 11:30 and we were told our room was not ready. Check-in is not until 4 so I dealt with it. They offered to take our bags for us so we could go out and not have to sit around so we left them and went out to grab lunch. We got back promptly at 4 and they told us their system was down so we had to wait even longer. This was definitely not something we wanted to deal with after getting up at 3:30am to travel. We had a seat in the lobby for about 15 minutes and when we went back up to the counter it still wasn't ready. We went outside and laid on a hammock to cool off but at 4:45 I just wanted my room and when we went back in we finally got our room which was apparently it was the last available room. The "beach" here is TINY and def not the best. We are New Englanders and needed a real beach. If you need internet, it was pretty slow at this hotel. Lucky I didn't need it that bad but there were def business travelers here that probably did. On the bright side, the hotel was kept very clean, staff was overall friendly (even through the check-in mess), and the location was pretty good.

Dear Michelle522,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your past stay at our hotel. I apologize that you had to wait a long time to check-in. I can give surety that it is very rare for us to have such delayed check-ins, however; I can understand your frustration and would like to apologize for any trouble this may have caused you. I truly value all of our guest’s feedback and I can assure you that your comments will be shared with our Front Office Director. I would like to also add that I was very pleased to read that our hotel was kept very clean, our location is good, and most importantly, our staff was overall friendly during your stay.

Kind regards,

Michelle Burn
Guest Relations Manager
The Condado Plaza Hilton

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!