“Nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Condado Plaza Hilton

Save Saved
You added The Condado Plaza Hilton to your Saves list
The Condado Plaza Hilton
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   999 Ashford Avenue, San Juan 00907, Puerto Rico (Formerly Conrad San Juan Condado Plaza)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Rates from $99
Ranked #20 of 47 hotels in San Juan
Raleigh, United States
“Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My experience was very good except with few minor problems. very nice location and pools. room was clean. Front desk was not welcoming. The internet was not working effectively for some times. parking fee is high ($16) specially if you are staying at the resort for most of the time and not using the car.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Conrad

2,583 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Pomona, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed May 1, 2013 to May 5, 2013. Hotel was nice in a retro sort of way. Was in need of some renovations. Rooms did show excessive wear, and did need renovations (rust in the bathroom). View was amazing from my room, which was in the tower on the lagoon.

Hotel did have nice pools, and the beach was acceptable. Location was great, as we could walk to shops and restaurants. Was a tad far from old san juan, so taxis were expensive. We figured out the bus, which solved the taxi problem. There is a bus stop outside the hotel, which was nice.

The employees running the casino were not great. I was escorted out because i had a backpack on (i was stopping in after a day out shopping). I cannot fathom why my backpack would be cause to remove me from the casino, but apparently it was. Suffice to say, i was not pleased when i was escorted out of the casino.

In any event, the hotel was merely ok. Some features were nice, but the casino staff and rundown condition of the hotel keep me from giving this hotel anything more than an average rating.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Evansville, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Most people are here only for a night or 2 as they wait to catch their cruise ship, so the problems I experienced probably wouldn't be too much of a concern. Location is its strong point with its lagoon and nearby access to local restaurants and Old San Juan. I was here for over a month on business. This is advertised as a "luxury resort", but I must have missed the luxury part. This place is falling apart. Everyday something was broken down (i.e. elevators, escalator, hot water, fitness center air conditioning for over 2 months, etc.). The room was dated and just plain ugly. I had a suite that had a TV and phone only in the bedroom. Internet service only worked in the sitting room area. Staff morale seemed poor. Concierge service was terrible. They referred my wife and cousin on a tour guided trip to the rain forest that didn't include La Mina Falls to their disappointment. When I asked the concierge's about this later their response was that the brochure explains this fact. I felt compelled to tell them that if they expected the tourists to read all the brochures and to decide what was best we really didn't need concierges just to make a phone call. I received better concierge service from the desk clerks at the Hampton Inn where I was at before coming here. My overall impression is of a very poorly managed hotel with poor staff morale where customer service is not the main priority. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

My husband and I traveled to San Juan for a belated honeymoon during May of 2013. We were on somewhat of a budget but still wanted to stay in a nice place so we settled on Conrad Condado Plaza. I was a little wary of this location from some of the reviews I read but felt like since we'd mostly be spending our time here sleeping, I shouldn't worry too much.

Lucky for us, we experienced none of the misfortune the befell other reviewers. Our room was clean, devoid of bugs, leaks, or any other problems others have mentioned before us. We had originally booked a "city view" room, but when we arrived my husband asked if there was any "ocean view" rooms available. There weren't, but there were "lagoon view" rooms open so they upgraded us to one of those, free of charge. The view over the lagoon was absolutely beautiful and you could see much of San Juan from here.

The rooms were relatively quiet except for the noise from the planes taking off and landing and at 8am promptly the hotel staff began cleaning and slamming doors, but I covered my head with a pillow and slept on despite this. Our room had a nice, comfy king-sized bed and it was a comfortable size to stay in for a week. The only annoyance was the tiny bathroom space, which seemed like it could have been utilized a little better (for instance, the glass shower door opened out instead of in, so you were likely to let water out as you turned on the shower) and the fact that there was no microwave (it would have been nice for the few times we wanted to stay in during our trip.) We never had any issues with the front desk, finding them to be very helpful whenever we had questions (even directing us to an emergency room when I began to have unexpected eye problems in the middle of our trip).

The lagoon pool left a little to be desired although it was much quieter than the other pool. The hot tub was not actually hot at all but maybe tepid on this side of the hotel. I loved the ocean side pool with the swim up bar and the jacuzzi that actually got quite hot. I thought that the rooms were exceptionally clean but the pool (specifically the salt water one on the ocean side) was not. The little beach area wasn't that clean either but it was nice all the same with security and chairs that you could lounge upon available for free. The water was clear and nice to swim in. The areas off to the side of the hotel with the chairs and hammock were just wonderful to visit at night with a drink or after a day at the water to wind down.

We had a massage on our last day there, which was done in a little area right by the water. It wasn't the best massage I'd ever had but I still wish that I had gotten the hour long one rather than the 30 minute one. While staying at this hotel we ate at the Denny's twice for convenience, which were the two worst meals of the trip. The Eight Noodle Bar, albeit expensive and just plain overpriced, was absolutely delicious if you're going to stay in for an evening. The casino was fun and I won about $30.75 on the slot machines. My only complaint about that casino was on the weekend the music was so obnoxiously loud you couldn't hear yourself think and that they were seriously lacking some table games (they had maybe 4 tables?).

Room Tip: Get the lagoon view or ocean view, it's worth it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This was my second time in PR and I was really looking forward to staying in the Condado beach area. We checked in and the room was beautiful, very modern and the bathroom was chic with a glass shower and upgraded features. The first time I got out of the shower, it was very slippery so I put down a towel. The second time I showered, I again was very cautious, stepped on the towel, then the floor and BAM! I slid across the entire floor and busted by shoulder and hip on the cold floor. I couldn't even get up bc I kept sliding. I was in pain for the rest of the trip and used towels to cover every inch of the bathroom. Be careful!! Plus, there isn't a real beach attached to the property and you can't get in because its very rocky. Walk down several blocks to the public beach behind the La Concha Resort if you want an awesome beach experience. They charge $5 for a chair. The service at the Conrad pool bar was terrbile, the concierge just wanted to get rid of us, but the doormen/staff at Starbucks and the car rental place attached to hotel were great! I love PR and will go back to Condado, but will not stay at this hotel. If you're looking for a great all around stay go somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Recently stayed here on a business matter for the better part of a week. The property is a little older, probably built in the 50s or early 60s but the rooms were well kept and the staff generally speaking cooperative. The gym was in the annex across the sky bridge over Ashford Av- plenty of equipment and well maintained. A water fountain in there would have been nice though. Casino was ancient and smelled musty, the croupiers were pleasant but looked bored as all get out. My review of 2 of the restauraunts on the property are seperate from here.

Room Tip: If you cant afford the ocean view ask for the tower annex facing the lagoon.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Maitland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Conrad Hotel was a great experience. The customer service was super as well. The hotel has several restaurant/dining options and the bridge between towers makes it convenient to walk back and forth safely and in the A/C. I had a lagoon view which was very nice and calming. One of the best things about this property are the spectacular views. There are so many different locations that provide the chance for a great view and relaxation. They have hammocks that are great for lounging and there are three pools. The hotel is centrally located, close to both Old San Juan and beaches. The only things that were below my expectations were that the bathroom was very small and the beach on the property is also very small. If you want a real beach I recommend going to Isla Verde/Carolina Beach but don't expect to get the true beach experience at the hotel. This is a property that I would stay at again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Rooms near the lagoon are quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Condado Plaza Hilton? Share your experiences!